Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going to prison?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2002, 02:00 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least once a week a topic gets started by someone who's due in court for speeding. 120 in a 60 limit you know the sort of thing.
Anyway they want to know what sort of fine they're due and on a regular basis someone chips in with.."Get yourself a good brief you're going down"

Q can you go to prison for speeding?
Q do you know anyone who has actually been to prison for speeding?

ok ok
Q have you heard about a friend of a friend who went to prison?
Old 02 October 2002, 02:44 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Wayne Soman to name one. No, I don't know him personally. He was the biker in Wales who filmed himself for an hour or so doing speeds up to 165 (indicated). Apparently he's been released under the tagging scheme after serving 6 months of his 18 month sentence.

There was that copper as well, but I on't know the details of his case.

Mr Soman was jailed as he was viewed as a habitual speeder (had a flip up number plate etc) and there was a lot of evidence against him rather than one simple speeding case.

I beleive that speeding in itself is only punishable by fines and penalty points and that the prison sentences are for offences like reckless driving or similar. Could be wrong though...
Old 02 October 2002, 02:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yes you can but its rare, check the other post with the fines/bans on it- most ppl are fine at 100mph unless the have previous..few points and fine but no ban and certainly no jail!
Old 02 October 2002, 11:47 PM
CJ P1
Scooby Regular

Speeding does not carry custody as a penalty. Only fines and discretionary disqualification. In the case exceptionally high speed it could be charged as dangerous driving which is imprisonable.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 03 October 2002, 12:04 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

You all must get it easier over there. I see 3 week bans, 5 week, 2 months etc etc. If you get caught over here doing over 100, you need to be very rich, or related to a cop to get away without losing your license for at least 6 months. There is a good chance they will try and hit you with dangerous driving too, which carries a mandatory 1 yr ban. We get hit with fairly heavy fines too, and no insurance usually carries a ban, of 3 months +
Jail is a tricky one. Driving while disqualified is a bad one, and runs a risk. Usually takes a bad record, and serious offence to even get close to jail.
There really is a double standard system, where the rich ( and polititions etc ) get away with whatever they want, and the poor working class, who struggle to keep within the law 99% of the time get nailed.
Old 03 October 2002, 10:28 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

I sepcifically remember a biker on A9 getting 2 or 3 months for dangerous driving. Effectively 140+ speeding. So yes its possible. Have an accident over a ton and it won't really matter......

Cammy
Old 03 October 2002, 11:00 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

He just got life.
It pisses me off to think our taxes will now pay to keep this scumbag alive!
Old 03 October 2002, 11:05 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Talking

With all the proper criminals??
Have you driven the A9?
I don't remember it passing lots of schools and old peoples homes and if he was on a bike surely the risk was mainly his?
Fail to see how this makes him a 'scumbag'
r