Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

would you walk out at end of month if........

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2002, 11:46 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you thought you wouldnt get paid for the next months work??

I was thinking of leaving my job, but now I think I might have to leave. Im told the company(only small 10 people) is up the swanny - and now I reckon I could easily not get paid at the end of October. I have nothing to do in my job, and nothing to go to but would I be stuppid to stay on if I thought I wouldnt get paid the next month???

any thoughts ??

andy

Old 17 September 2002, 11:51 AM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Tough question. I think that, if i had no work to do anyway, i would sit it out and just browse scoobynet all day.

It could easily pick up again as the market recovers and you would be without a job.
Old 17 September 2002, 11:53 AM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

I was in a similar situation last year...stay but use the companies net connection and phones to get yourself another job...
Old 17 September 2002, 11:54 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

depending on your length of service you may also be due Redundancy, although if its due to bankrupcy then its will be minimal and will come later . After the Accountants have been in.

Best of Luck
Camk
Old 17 September 2002, 12:00 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

It now turns out to be a cowboy firm, I never signed a contract or anything. I have only been in a year, so think redundancy money would be minimal if at all.

I just dont want to get the boot, and then find out they cant afford to pay me for another month ie Ive worked for no pay.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:18 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

anyone know what comeback I have if they just said "sorry we cant pay you - bye bye" ?
Old 17 September 2002, 12:19 PM
STI SPUD
Scooby Regular

Andy,
Sorry to hear your troubles mate. You would need to check this for sure but, if less than 2 years service you have NO entitlement to redundancy. I came close to this in March 2002, had 18 months service and so was not entitled to any money luckily I was asked to take on another contract (same company) so it all worked out ok. I really hope you find something else real soon. I must admit I would be tempted to say **** it and walk away if you thought you wouldn't get paid but I also agree with the other guys use the phone, connections etc and spend your'e day on Scoobynet and mailing mates. Screw 'em better their bill than yours!

Hope you sort something soon.

Rachel
Old 17 September 2002, 01:09 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Andy, I was in a very similar position to you up until I was made redundant a few weeks ago.

The company I am working for (until Friday) was going downhill and were trading at a loss for over 6 months so it was inevitable what was going to happen. I saw some of our accounts and I decided straight away to 'jump ship' and started looking for another job. I got an interview date and a week before the interview I was officially made redundant. I then had the interview and got offered the job, which I accepted. It was really good timing for me.

I would do like others have said and have a look for another job, no harm can come of it. What field are you in? If its IT I have a list of websites if you want them.

Let me know if you want those websites, hope all turns out okay.

Darren

[Edited by darlodge - 9/17/2002 1:10:18 PM]
Old 17 September 2002, 01:30 PM
ChrisB

All the official word on redundancy...

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/redundancy.htm

If you have to go the DTI for redundancy, the amount they pay is capped. I found that out
Old 17 September 2002, 01:46 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Current Employment Rights Act legislation for redundancy payments in insolvent employers limits the weekly amount payable by the D of E to £250 per week for employees.

(As it limits the amounts of all other Employment Rights Act Payments, ie unpaid salary, holiday pay and any compensatory pay for failure to receive statutory notice)

Less than 2 years service = no redundancy entitlement I'm afraid.

But, if the employer is not formally insolvent the company may be entitled to assistance from the D of E if it cannot pay.

Personally I'd speak to your boss, explain your fears and ask for written confirmation of what the position is.

The fact you have no contract of employment is immaterial as far as your ststutory rights are concerned.

email me if you want any more help

D

Edited to add that if you walk before any insolvency/shut down you will have left voluntarily and so although you'd get what was due by way of salary in the 4 months preceeding insolvency and holiday pay due for the 12 months preceeding insolvency you'd get no notice payment.

Unless you could argue constructive dismissal - hence getting it in writing.

[Edited by diablo - 9/17/2002 1:51:25 PM]