Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Replacement uPVC Windows - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2002, 07:47 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As topic realy. We are thinking of getting our house done, but I have heard horror stories, about quality / price etc.

Any companys to avoid? Any recomended?

Any advice anyone?

Regards

David
Old 16 September 2002, 08:32 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

a builder mate of mine was telling me there is new legislation in place now which means you need to install K glass ( heat reflecting, pilkington make it)to new windows.

He also said that you don't have to fit K glass, but if you dont, and you sell the house with standard glass ( this assumes it was done post legislation), the government will up the Tax or stamp duty or something, and pass the difference onto the new owners as a grant towards K glass, I think this is similar to the condensing combi boiler scheme.

Don't quote me on this, as I am sure I have got the government penalty thing mixed up, but the guy that told me is a good mate,no cowboy, was not selling anything and is generally pretty clued up.

Just my PERSONAL opinion, but i would not go to the coldseals,staybrites etc, but would prefer to source a smaller/less well known local supplier and specify exactly what you want, this info can be based on the product the larger manufacturers are touting, when they come round your house and waste your evening. Apparently Rehau are one of the better manufacturers, your local guy will no doubt suggest others.
I would also ask to see some of their workmanship, if they are reputable this should be no problem.

no expert, but that's how i would approach it.

mike.
Old 16 September 2002, 08:40 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave,

Have you thought of fitting them yourself. It's not that difficult as you can put them in from the inside and you only need ladders to seal them off. It can be much cheaper and you can spend more money on better units this way. Get the best windows you can though 'cos the cheap glass units don't insulate well and you'll have condensation problems. Try and get re-enforced uPVC frames as well. Cheaper frames drag/bend with the screws you use to hold them in.

Stu.
Old 16 September 2002, 09:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

Would agree with Kippax here. you can take an old window out in 1 hour WITHOUT breaking the glass, less if you want to clear up the mess later, and putting a new one in is about 1 and a half hours including making good and sealing.
Costs about £15 per window to do including buying the special drill bit you need, sealant, fixings, spacers etc. Take into account that you'll save in the region of £150 PER WINDOW, and it starts to look good.
Even more if you do the doors too: I put in a new front door for £650 when a quote from a national was £1800!!!!!!
Old 16 September 2002, 09:17 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Was told that the K glass thing came in around May/June this year, but I'm not sure how much notice fitters and manufacturers are taking.... (Had my windows put in before the regs.)

Also, buy a good quality frame, as the cheaper plastics may discolour in the sun.

Self fitting isn't that difficult if you have time, and have done some DIY before, but if you get them fitted by someone, make sure you get an insurance backed guarantee!

Old 16 September 2002, 09:56 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd advise you to look for the kite mark on any windows you buy. This will ensure that they have been tested to the correct standard and that they are built in the factory correctly. There's probably different kite mark for the different parts: glass, frames, locks and hinges.

EG the sealed units are tested for strength and heat cycling. This ensures that they don't blow in a couple of years if they are south facing. The heat cycling is done in an enviromental chamber which takes them from -20 something deg to +50ish (can't remember exact but it's more than our climate) continually for a long period to simulate years of thermal stress.

I've had non kite marked windows go on my house and it's not good.

The lock and hinge testing really does give the units some abuse so again look for the proper testing to be done. Oh and the Construction products directive will make certain building methods and materials testing mandatory.

F
Old 16 September 2002, 11:34 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you do go to a company and also plan to move with the guarentee period make sure the guarentee is transferable !

Dave.
Old 17 September 2002, 09:47 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Cheers all.

Any companys to recomend?

David
Old 17 September 2002, 09:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Trade windows direct.
But they're in Scunny and I don't think they go as far as Herts.
Old 17 September 2002, 10:41 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Also agree with Kippax. Do it yourself. I bought my windows from Wickes. You draw out the window styles you want and mark the dimensions, they send them off to get made up and send you a letter back confirming the sizes you requested.

Around 4-8 weeks later, Wickes ring to say your windows are in. They occassionally do a 10% (IIRC, may have been 15%) off offer. I took advantage of that and replaced all of my upstairs windows.

Mine are well made and cost me nothing when compared to what a window company would charge to supply & fit.

Den
Old 17 September 2002, 11:34 AM
daz b
Scooby Regular

As a builder and window fitter i can tell you that you CANNOT just fit the windows yourself you need to apply for building regs or have them fitted by a FENSA approved fitter
the regs are for- fire escape upper windows
opening area of window
area of glass as per floor area

Ps if you fit them without the above then u sell house the search of the house will fail.
Old 17 September 2002, 04:54 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

Question

daz b,

I'm about to have windows fitted by a friend of a friend - what do you mean by "apply for building regs"? Is this a form to fill out, or an inspection, and where do I get it from?

Cheers.
Paul
Old 17 September 2002, 05:18 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

My parents got a pretty cheap quote from Markwell Glass in Bishop's Stortford -- but I don't know where abouts in Herts you are.

I personally wouldn't buy from any of the companies that employ cold calling sales tactics, either.
Old 18 September 2002, 06:13 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Paul.sorry 4 the delay

You get the form from the council (£50-100)
Have u had the windows made (as they must comply to your councils regs)
the windows will be inspected by the building inspectors

If your mate says it's bullsh*t just phone your council

[Edited by daz b - 9/18/2002 6:18:20 PM]
Old 18 September 2002, 06:17 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

also windows in habitable rooms on the 1st floor (bedrooms) must have fire exit openings 450mm wide,so basically you cannot have small top hung windows
Old 19 September 2002, 04:00 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

Cheers daz b,

I did phone the council (Guildford Borough) but they didn't mention having to pay for a form or getting an inspection - they just said that the windows must meet the regulations.

I'm confused!
Old 19 September 2002, 08:21 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

you will pay when u apply,not when up pick the form up

[Edited by daz b - 9/19/2002 8:22:43 PM]
Old 20 September 2002, 05:20 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

Info on here re building regs: