Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A bit worried-> Question time 12/09/02

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 11:52 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just watched question time, and I am a bit worried. I missed the first bit of it, but WTF were some of those people going on about??

That old american Guy, can't remember his name, sorry, was sooooo ******* on a different planet.....

Michael Moore seemed to be the only guy to make sense> ergo know what was going on. Geoff Hoon seemed to be under orders, and made what seemed to me, to be premeditated responses.

For those that missed, and by all means correct me if I'm wrong, but, the question was (I didn't get the original question) "should irag be bombed." i.e should the western world kick terrorist acts in the butt?

I was on Michael Moore's side.

When someone asked about where does Britain stand, and what do they feel about basically being hoop boys to the US, i felt I had to start something here.

Sorry, I'll keep my opinions to myself for the moment, but goooood god, do people in the world really think like that wrinkled Yank?
Old 13 September 2002, 09:22 AM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

seconded
Old 13 September 2002, 09:58 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I for one am sick to death with this tough on terrorism sh**e. OK I'll be the first to agree that what happened at the WTC was of absolutley appalling. But since then the tough on terrorism approach only seems to be aimed at anyone living near a desert!!

As I'm sure most of us will realise we have been getting blown up by the IRA for a good many years now with no real end in site and no 'toughness' going on there!!!! What adds to the annoyence is that even now plenty of americans (even in new york) still give donations to the IRA as they deem it to be a good cause because of their irish decendance.. It just makes me sick how people can be so hypocritical!!!!!

Rant over!!

Ade (noramlly a mellow chap but am having poo day and this sort of thing gets on my wick sometimes!!)

edited cos typing whilst annoyed obviously leads to a few errors

[Edited by ademid - 9/13/2002 10:00:13 AM]
Old 13 September 2002, 10:09 AM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

the old guy was Ed Koch - ex Mayor of New York, and judging by last night's prog a real nasty peice of work. That woman was a nutter as well - at one point she said to Michael Moore -' what right do you have to question the governmemt?' - to which he said 'well I'm a taxpayer and a voter, and this is a democracy'

That shut her up.

The muslim guy I thought was the best - he has some well reasoned arguments, and obvouisly knew his onions. But Michael Moore - LMAO!
Old 13 September 2002, 10:38 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Missed it, is it gonn be repeated soon?
Old 13 September 2002, 10:43 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

Probably very fortunate that that Koch bloke (very appropriate name) was not mayor at the time of the attacks. He would no doubt have inflamed the situation totally out of control.
The Muslim guy was superb and gave a very clear indication of the outside perception of the USA (and quite possibly of the UK aswell?)
Michael Moore also got a round of applause for nearly all of his comments, in particular with regard to the American public in general not being in favour of the US steaming into Iraq all guns blazing. Just exactly who are the American government representing, as it does not appear to be the American public? I guess the same can be said of Mr Blair.
Old 13 September 2002, 10:44 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

I didnt see Dubya rushing over to Spain after ETA let off a few bombs this summer in Spanish holiday resorts, ETA have murdered a few public figures in Spain since 9/11 with car bombs, Does the world not see ETA as a terrorist organization?? Of course they are not going to bomb main land europe especially another NATO country if the IRA let off a huge bomb in London, would they steam into N.I. with all their might looking for the people responsible, NO of course they wouldnt, if the muslin fanatics in East Timor rose up again and continued their ethnic cleansing would any action be taken, NO.
To continually rant on about the war on terrorism is complete BS, they pick and choose who they want to sort out, he's like a big kid playing with his toys and always invites his best mate Tony over to play, who exactly are the power crazy here??
Old 13 September 2002, 10:49 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

There is a slight difference though in that ETA and the IRA do not come under the popular term of "state-sponsored terrorists", whereas IMO Al-Qaeda were clearly linked to the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.
Old 13 September 2002, 10:53 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well maybe it should be called
"war on state sponsored terrorism"

Old 13 September 2002, 11:05 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

whereas IMO Al-Qaeda were clearly linked to the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.
True, but they're not linked to Saddam's regime in Iraq.
Old 13 September 2002, 11:07 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/2246480.stm

All Hail Michael Moore. How long will it be before he dies in a "strange accident."

[Edited by Dan B - 9/13/2002 11:16:43 AM]
Old 13 September 2002, 11:16 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

whereas IMO Al-Qaeda were clearly linked to the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.
Think you will find that the Taliban and Osama Bin Ladan can also be linked to the USA during the time when the USSR invaded Afganistan. As well as the Mujahadeen

[Edited by 106rallye - 9/13/2002 11:22:08 AM]
Old 13 September 2002, 11:18 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Iraq is being seen as a country that can harbour terrorists like OBL, and now someone who could supply them with nuclear/bio weapons. And thats only some of it!
Old 13 September 2002, 12:00 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

106rallye - yes very true. During the Russian occupation days the US government actively supported the Mujahadeen and OBL, supplying them with with loads of dosh and weapons (I wonder who those weapons are being used against now???). So what has happened to make the Taliban so violently anti-American? This is what the Muslim guy on the programme was talking about. It is his view that the US government are continually providing ammunition to the anti-American fanatics by their foreign policies.
Just to be absolutely clear, I am not saying I sympathise in any way with the terrorists or that there is any justification whatsoever for their actions.
Old 13 September 2002, 12:26 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It should be "War of convenience on anyone we deem to be a terrorist but only when we feel like".
Old 13 September 2002, 12:36 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Notorious: as The Onion puts it: "America Vows to Beat Whoever It Is We're At War With". Can't find Bin Laden, on to public enemy #2.
Old 13 September 2002, 12:44 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

any suggestions on who is next - Gaddafi perhaps? Or perhaps one of the numerous murdering b######s in Africa. Oh no, silly me. Not much oil in Africa is there.
Old 13 September 2002, 01:04 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Apparently its the result of a deal between Bush senior and Bush junior.If Bush junior gets rid of Saddam then Bush senior will leave him his collection of Major League baseball cards in his will.

I mean,aint that how all major decisions are made
Old 13 September 2002, 04:48 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

what was it Michael Moore said:
"Bush said he will hunt them down and kill them like dogs, but where is Osama Bin Ladin, they can't find him. Its just the same as what daddy did by not finishing the gulf war
Ouch.
Old 16 September 2002, 01:35 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

saddam hussein has ignored all 16 UN resolutions passed against him since the end of the gulf war.

he oppresses and murders his own people. he provides a haven and financial backing to anti-western and anti-israel factions.

he has the UN obstructed at every stage. he would have had nuclear weapons by the late 80s if israel hadn't destroyed the two ozirak reactors in 1981.

there is no single government on the planet that compares. not china, not north korea, not iran, not syria. on any decent principle of behaviour, we have a moral obligation to sort him out. just like we eventually did with hitler, despite the irresponsible appeasement of the 30s.

the middle east is too important to us economically to stand by: you all like your comfortable way of life, your pension plans, your cars, your own homes. i know i do. and if safeguarding that means toppling this dreadful regime to aide long-term stability then so be it.

compared to saddam, the IRA, ETA and all the other minor terror groups are, in relative terms of importance, irrelevant.

people, you are not looking at this situation with clear enough eyes.

Old 16 September 2002, 05:19 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Angry

If the USA want to bomb some country why dont they pick Pakistan,thats where ALL the muslin fanatics live,Bin laden,Al Queda,Taliban etc etc etc.

And it seems the country where 'British' muslim fanatics ALL come from [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 17 September 2002, 12:17 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

When did the USA last not want to bomb someone?
Old 17 September 2002, 01:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Hey, Skipjack, if we're going down the road of condemning and then attacking, countries that opress others, and ignore UN resolutions, then I guess Israel will be next? No? Why not?
Because they HAVE ALREADY got the bomb, and they WILL use it, unlike Saddam, who hasn't, so he can't.
Just like the man said: Bush and B.Liar are picking and choosing who to go to war with.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]