Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A507 A1 J10 - Shefford

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 10:33 PM
fiddy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

It has finally come to it! I'm going to have to come out of lurking and have a rant:
I travel along this stretch of road often. The lanes in either direction are wider than normal, and the general consensus seems to be that you keep v.tightly to the left and other cars can over take. Now that seems ok in theory, but bloody hell - the countless number of complete retards I witness that overtake articulated lorries up a hill with a blind crest, round blind corners, in the face of traffic doing the same coming the opposite way - and usually without a single blink of an indicator. I can't believe that I haven't seen a serious accident yet - people obviously have a very strong faith in the guy upstairs, when it comes to overtaking into the unkown. No wonder there seems to be a mobile laser trap along this stretch in the mornings.
Rant over.
Old 12 September 2002, 10:36 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

A laser trap won't stop a head on collision. Roads like that require accidents (and fatalities) before anything's done to make 'em safer.
Old 12 September 2002, 10:59 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Fiddy

... and people cannot be arsed to put their indicators how - are you supposed to be psychic coming the other way or what when they are going to pull out.

The last time I saw the laser job was on the A505 - it was in long grass (!) and the policeman had to stand up and wave to his colleague who have stopped someone

Old 13 September 2002, 12:03 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

To be fair there are a lot of long straight bits down here and it is a good chance to get past anything before the road narrows after Shefford. There is only one bend as you describe that I can think of and they put hatched lines down to discourage people over taking down the middle a few years ago. I don't think this very wide open road with no side turnings should be victimised by the mobile tax collection brigade IMHO. I accept the fixed camera they have put in the 30 limit by the crappy rail bridge that they have bodged back together instead of repairing but still think it is a shame they can't do something better to remove that newly created bottle neck either. IMHO of course.
Old 13 September 2002, 05:21 PM
Coogie
Scooby Regular

I live in Shefford, and i can recall two fatal car accidents within the last two months! - right outside the town.
I normally drive to work early, so i miss all the traffic, but if i'm on the 507 during rush hour - then tell me about it! - it's like a race - everybody seems to have to get to the next round-a-bout first!
Don't get me wrong, like most people on here, i like to drive fast-ish, when the time/conditions are right, but believe me, on the 507,i keep left and WELL out of the way of these looney's,

Nick
Old 13 September 2002, 09:08 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Know it well from when I worked at Chicksands.
I couldn't believe the numbskulls who designed it. They obviously didn't look at what type of traffic was to use it or how people behave when the road is much wider than normal.
The number of times I saw near misses with two overtaking each way
There is a simialr section on the A6 out of Finedon to Kettering but is straight as a dye so is usually OK.