Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone know about this speed trap van ??

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 10:54 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A507 in Beds, just pulled out on a straight section to overtake. Whilst out in the middle of the road I spy what looks like an emergency services vehicle in a lay-by far ahead, I can see fluorescent orange/yellow stripes. I can't do much but finish the over taking and try to drop my speed back down without "brake testing" the guy I just overtook. As I get closer I relax a little as I can see there are no blue lights on top - perhaps a high visibility engineering van. But no - as I am much closer it turns out to be a van with the top part of the doors cut away and very dark inside so I can't see in properly. As I pass by I have a good look and the sides are white with a huge speed camera symbol on the side.

So.... forward facing, no sign of any coppers attempting to flag people down, no camera flashes going off and no advance warning of the location of this thing. What might of been inside? Automatic number plate reader, video camera? I am not the registered keeper of the vehicle so my girlfriend will get the NIP. Just wondering what evidence they will produce to prove I was driving the car?
Old 10 June 2002, 12:26 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

From your description - Sounds like the same spec as the Northampton Vehicle Stealth Tax Squad, sorry - Camera Saftey Team.

Sorry to hear this, you are unlikely to get pulled on the spot- they film you, go back to plod HQ, download the info and you get a ticket in the post! (along with a Hi-Quality video grab)

Northampton has between 7-10 of these operating each day from dawn 'till dusk.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 6/10/2002 12:55:19 PM]
Old 10 June 2002, 12:30 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I presume this is the Baldock to Ampthill stretch. If you're lucky it may be a vehicle excise duty camera van.

Not entirely sure what the rules are regarding speed achieved during an overtaking maneouvre.
Old 10 June 2002, 12:47 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I saw one of these on the A421 j13 to MK on the w/e. This is my usual 'quick' road but luckily I was held up in traffic...

It won't be my usual road anymore.

F
PS he was setting up the equipment at the time and I was flashed by a kind oncoming driver who did the slow down wave as well.

Old 10 June 2002, 01:55 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

One of these vans sometimes sits in the layby on the Leighton Buzzard bypass.

Slowed down from my normal 140mph cruise now
Old 10 June 2002, 02:21 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I got done by a similar one in North Wales, had what looked like a GATSO in place of the top of the rear door. It didn't flash and I still got done, almost carbon copy of your manouvre. 72mph in a 60mph, if you overtake you still have to observe the speed limit.
Old 21 June 2002, 02:29 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

stephen uk300 is correct cos this fecking barst3rd caught me and i got a ticket in the post,as he said a lovely cruisin road

mike

p.s also seen him on leagrave high street luton
Old 21 June 2002, 04:58 PM
Dirty Wrong'un
Scooby Regular

There was one of these set up on the A12 last Friday, a little distance further down the road were 2 traffic cars. My guess is that if people are doing anything wrong these cars will stop them there and then??

Gus
Old 21 June 2002, 05:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Do they have these in Derbyishire anyone?

Hoping not... if they do then I might get a 75mph in a 70...

Although from your description the van I saw was checking the oposite carriage way as I was approaching the front of the van which was on the opposite side of the dual carriageway.

Was a white Citren van which VS on the side in red letters.....
and set my detector off on a K band, same frequency as the door openners on services/supermarket, conicidence or on purpose?

Hope you hear nothing Boost

JGM
Old 21 June 2002, 06:29 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

the one that caught me looked like a citroen van and had red and yellow stripes with a picture of a camera on the bonnet and was facing me when it caught me on my side of the road.
Old 21 June 2002, 09:39 PM
HGV1 Driver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have seen one of these vans too, parked in a lay-by on A43 between the M40 and the esso petrol station, Bicester.

Jon
Old 21 June 2002, 11:11 PM
Coogie
Scooby Regular

Boost II

I have also seen this very van a couple of times, as i live in Shefford. In the layby, right by Shefford?

I assume its a mobile speed camera, and i normally see it about 8ish in the morning (to catch rush hour traffic i guess!)

Never normally speeding though, as at that time i have my nipper in the back, taking him to day-nursery!

Guess it will have to go soon though, unless they put up a sign a mile down the road

Yeah, right!

What do you drive, i'll keep an eye out for you,

Nick
Silver MY00
Old 22 June 2002, 02:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Boost -- Have you got your NIP yet? If not, fingers crossed, if I read you right, you got "caught" 10/6? According to UKSpeedtraps, you must get the NIP within 14 days, if not, no prosecution. Check their website for further info.
Old 23 June 2002, 01:47 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Yes, this was by Shefford layby - saturday lunchtime - I was cutting it fine for the Toyota On Track event at Silverstone in my deep blue UK my00 turbo. Hopefully I'm not getting points 9,10 and 11 as the 14 days are now up. I'm not totally out of the woods yet because if the bacon posted it in time to arrive in 14 days and it arrives late due to being slow in the post it is still valid.
Old 06 October 2002, 02:22 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Herts Don't yet operate the grab all the money you can 'safety scheme' so don't need to abide by the new regulations. Beds however DO, so it should have been clearly marked.

It's the first time i've heard of them employing Vans like Northants/Essex do. Not to say it's not a speed camera, only that herts usually go for the laser tripod style.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 6/10/2002 2:23:28 PM]
Old 06 October 2002, 03:11 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

It was on the fast, wide, uninhabited bit between Stotfold and Shefford. The van was very clearly marked once you looked at the side of it but approaching it you could just see it had orange back doors. Starting to get very worried as I will be within a serious gnats whisker of getting a ban. After driving for 7-8 years without any points I have a bit of a run on.
Surely if the police are admitting that such cameras are purely to raise revenue and not necessarily to prosecute you for being a dangerous driver then they need to stop dishing the points out along with all the fines. Anyway watch out guys and girls in North Herts/Beds. Hopefully this post moving to "non Scooby related" is not an omen for me having to become non-Scooby related myself soon.

I had slowed down by the time I was very close and was on the oppostie side of the road much further away but I have a feeling that I just would have dropped back in infront of their laser at a fair bit over 60mph - I expect to get clobbered.

Is it really likely they would be checking tax discs this way? - atleast that is in date. If it was still there when I came back later on I would have pulled into the layby right behind it (to check my map ) and had a proper look inside but it had gone.

[Edited by Boost II - 6/10/2002 3:34:01 PM]
Old 06 October 2002, 04:02 PM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

They use a tax disc detector van along the A34 in Shirley, Solihull. It is accompanied by a number of police bikers who go after the cars. I have seen this set up outside the office on several occasions.

Also remember that these detector vans are digital so no warnings from radar detectors, my 550 does not go off when I pass them (as I often do in Northants). They do not need to have warning signs either because they publish the locations in the local paper and I believe announce them on the radio. Of course everyone reads the Northants Evening Telegraph and listens to Radio Northampton

I find the wording "Saftey Camera Vans" on the side of the vehicles insulting. Or is that just me? I find it difficult to have any respect for a policeforce adopting these tactics, it is not policing, it is another form of taxation, pure and simple.

[Edited by Seamus300 - 6/10/2002 4:03:35 PM]