Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Barbados? Opinions?? Stuff to see and do??

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 05:48 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi folks, just wanted to say that we got back today, and what can I say?.. f00kin ace (**** flight though.. that'll teach me to be thrify when it comes to the flight..
BA next time

so; great people, (even the hustlers are nice!)fab rum and gorgeous weather/beaches... and my god can the bajans throw a party!
...didnt hire a car.. got a bit too fond of the rum (and Im teetoal at home )
cabs/private taxis were pretty cheap anyways and we saw loads of the island anyway.
We did the:

sub> was ok, plenty of fish and the wreck was something new for us.

catamarran (Rubiyaat)> fantastic day out.
Crew were stellar and weather was fab.. although didnt actually get close to the turtles..but the general quality of the day and the "Rio" flashbacks whilst standing on the net at the bow made it a serb time..

Jolly roger> nuff said. we were quite jolly by the end

Island tour thing> which was suprsingly good and we saw loads of variety.. and covered all the parishes..bathsheba might be worth further investigation next time. *surfs up dude!*

I did LOADS of boogie boarding on turtle beach, 4-5 hrs a day every day (when not on a trip)..
The wife wasnt impressed until she saw me in action
we even clapped!!! LOL
..two days ago I rode some 8ft waves and got the bruises to show for it! LOL

Oistins was a real experience... we loved it.
Suffice to say we got into the bajan choons and managed to keep up with the dancing without looking too much like tourists

The gap was nice, great restaurants and the bars were good (ship inn on sunday night)

also, in bridgetown the boatyard on tuesday was something else.. the live band were superb and the rum flowed like water!!!
all in all we had a fab time and the bajans are well deserved of their friendly reputation! comes highly recommended!

[Edited by chrome - 9/2/2002 5:55:25 PM]
Old 09 March 2002, 02:22 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Yer Mon - Chrome me Man Gylad te see yer back Bwanna.

Tip for you though. Don't bother with Aruba - Sorry to say but it is a dump IMHO. About the only thing that stood out about it for me was the VERY loud fireworks they let off as our shi[p left dock.

Seriously boring island, trust me after Bados you'll hate it !

edited for spelling

[Edited by jods - 9/4/2002 4:20:51 PM]
Old 08 June 2002, 09:24 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the thoughts chaps..

any restaurants you'd recommend???
*particularly into lobster/crayfish fwiw..*

..we will be staying on the maxwell coast road...
so, near to the gap etc...

also any tips of things to AVOID??

..is Bathsheba worth a visit?????

also Alas; why not got to harrisons cave with italians??? (dare I ask ) ..

basically we have 2 weeks to be lazy, or not.. and its nice to know of things that are fun and safe..

thanks guys..

[Edited by chrome - 8/6/2002 9:28:22 AM]
Old 08 June 2002, 12:45 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

Oistins is good on the south coast, they have a sort street party once a week where the food is cooked in front of you, really nice atmosphere.

I've recently come back from a cricket tour there, some of the photo's won't interest you but have a look if you want...
www.bobfrog.34sp.com/barbados, I've got to scan my underwater pictures soon

The Jolly Roger is a laugh, you go out off the coast in a pirate ship, drink as much as you like and when the boat is morred you can go for a swim its only $10 US

[Edited by Bobfrog - 8/6/2002 12:47:37 PM]
Old 08 June 2002, 01:59 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

bobfrog: ace pix thank you

REALLY cant wait now... first hols for 10 years
first hol ever for the strife.. looks like we couldn't have picked a better place..

btw Bob: when did ya go?? looks kinda cloudy.. did you see much full on sun there?

[Edited by chrome - 8/6/2002 2:01:12 PM]
Old 08 June 2002, 02:32 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

I was there in June, the weather was good, we had very light showers early evening on a few days but it was kind of refreshing really, just take loads of film for the camera, its the kind of place you're not gonna want to forget!

[Edited by Bobfrog - 8/6/2002 2:33:40 PM]
Old 08 June 2002, 03:13 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

hehe jods.. yah mon!
good advice!
Im a bit follicly challenged (hence the tag ie:chrome dome) so gonna need the hat/sunscreen for ma melon ..it would be nice to see some sun tho all the same

got enuff sun stuff to require my own friggin sherpa ...
(let alone the world supply that the strife has picked up)

and yup bob; Im already a tart and have been cookking meself in a stand up sardine can for a week or two now.

we go on the 18th... getting quite excited; which is a bloody miracle for me

BOB:We got spf35 for a while, 25 and 20... hoping to get some real colour and have some fun in/on the sea
boogie boards here I come
..oh and Bobfrog; where about did ya stay?? which hotel?

[Edited by chrome - 8/6/2002 3:42:35 PM]
Old 05 August 2002, 04:35 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Question

Orrite folks...

any wise words re: Barbados b4 me and the strife jet off??

good places to eat, cool stuff to see and or do? etc....

we like pretty much everything so dont be shy... not *too* keen on shopping though...
its a bit of an endurance exercise for my CC when the strife gets a free reign
Old 05 August 2002, 05:47 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

bttt..
Old 05 August 2002, 09:35 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Great place to go m8.

Tourist things to see.
Flower Forest - a must
Harrisons Caves - just don't go with a load of Italians
Submarine Trip.
Day trip to the Grenadines - expensive but worth every penny.

Sailing days out. Loads to choose from. You can pretty much choose whether you want private, with a group etc. All pretty good. Most leave from the marina or will pick you up from the beach in front of the hotel. Great bar at the main bridge in Bridgetown. On the right as you go across out of town. Cant remember the name but superb music at night.

Try & see some local cricket worth it for the crowd alone. Also take a trip on a blue Barbados Bus $1.50 to go anywhere on the island and the experience is worth it. Don't go on the yellow buses (private) & drive like loonies.
See if you can see the bin men working. If you do you'll know why I said it.
Been a few times and it was great. If anything specific you want to know just ask.
Cheers
Alasdair
Old 05 August 2002, 10:01 PM
Scooby Regular

Great choice you will love it

Previous post covers most things but I would say make sure you hire a mini moke for a few days to cruise round the island to see all the attractions etc.

Also the boat trips like the Jolly Roger are a good laugh
Old 06 August 2002, 12:47 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Alas - are you thinking of the Boatyard?

Old 06 August 2002, 01:17 PM
Scooby Regular

Cool

Won't give you any recommendations for resturants as it was 4 years since we went & things change, the Gap however is full of good bars & resturants

If you hire a moke you will be able to see all the island in about 3 to 4 days and is much more fun than organised trips.

Don't forget to stock up on Mount Gay rum a major bargain when purchased at the big supermarkets in Bridgetown

Try the flying fish it's gorgeous & makes a change to Chicken
Old 06 August 2002, 01:29 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

As mentioned before, the Jolly Roger is a must. I did it twice when I was there.

A word of warning though, the rum punch on the Jolly Roger is *really* strong.
Old 06 August 2002, 01:39 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

The Jolly Roger is an AWESOME Trip - Great fun.
Try the Baku Beach bar in Holetown - Very friendly.
A lovely restaurant (but expensive £80 for 2 with wine) was
also in St James (Holetown) called LoneStar Garage
Jet Skis cost around $30 for 30 mins (might be a bit out of date now !)
Old 06 August 2002, 01:57 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

ace advices.. Cheers!

Jolly roger sounds like a dead cert too

Old 06 August 2002, 02:42 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

bob: mega sunny? ie: too hot for much sunbathing in daytime? or so so..???

(I burn fairly easy so wanna br prep'd)
Old 06 August 2002, 02:44 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Cool

Careful out there !! You will burn even when cloudy - Specially when cloudy cos you might think u don't need sun cream - You DO !!!

Lucky you - Have a WICKED time mon !

Follow the leader and Who let the dogs out will become your fave tunes !

Jods
Old 06 August 2002, 02:51 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

jods is right, I burned various parts of my body three times in the first week!! make sure you take suntan lotion with you everywhere, especially the Jolly Roger as you're sitting down for most of it with your legs being cooked, whenever you come out of the water put some more lotion on, I can't stress this enough!!!

I tried factor 20 to start with and cooked!! When are you going chrome? I know it sounds a bit tarty but get on the sunbeds before you go, you'll have a much better tan and won't get burned as easily while you're out there
Old 06 August 2002, 04:30 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Chrome
Harrisons caves are deep under ground & you go in a small train type thing. We were with a load of italians. All I can say is have you ever been in a room with a lot of italians - no offence but are noisy exubarant etc.
Then try that underground where all the noise bounces back. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrgghh.
Our fave place is Holetown where it's all a bit more laid back - oh and something nobody has said - watch out for the mozzies. Especially first thing in the morning and from 5pm. Plenty repellent or you'll look like a biactol ad
Alas
Old 06 August 2002, 04:35 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

@ Alas...

what repellant do ya recommend ??? so many brands/products and no idea where to start

jungle formula spray any cop?
Old 06 August 2002, 04:46 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hi m8
My wife - who the mozzies find partic attractive uses two types. One is Autan for normal but she also uses the aftersun (I think by Boots) that has the repellent in it for evening. Means you don't stun people at 2 paces.
Any of themajor ones work but avoid the citronella type ones as you kill plants, people & wildlife with that stuff. And if anyone on here uses it I hate to tell you - you are stinking!!
Alas
Old 06 August 2002, 04:53 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Wink

Forgot to say - I personnally uses thick socks and wooly jumpers to stop the mozzies. A balaclava would be good also.
Take thin long sleeved shirts for the evening as that is the mozzi first port of call along with the ankles.
Just remember if you get bitten. Apply liberal amounts of Mount Gay Rum - internally. Then you won't care if the waiter bit you.
And another thing don't buy the Aloe Vera from the beach guys. I wish I could write it the way they say it!. It feels great at the time but goes off pretty quick unless you keep it refrigerated.
Feelin de Riddum mon
Alas
Old 06 August 2002, 04:57 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

We stayed in Holetown, from what we saw of the island I'd agree its a good place to spend time, there's a nice little beach bar near the the police station/supermarket/petrol station in holetown.

We spent the last night of the tour (I think it was a Monday night) in the restaurant next to it, don't rate the food but the steel band that were playing were incredible, it was nice to see some culture for a change!

We used the air-conditioning all the time in the appartment but you have to leave it on for an hour before going to bed and make sure the mossie's are not hiding in clothes and stuff by shaking them. God I sound like my mum!!!!

[Edited by Bobfrog - 8/6/2002 5:04:12 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 07:45 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

This place was very nice to visit - Great facilities and a nice beach they welcome visitors as well as residents
Casurina
But try your own thing out... Boycies bus tours to the flower caves etc etc
Old 06 August 2002, 10:41 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Definitely do the submarine trip (unless you are claustrophobic!), the helicopter ride from Bridgetown is cool too. Try Ted's Tours for a guided tour of the island - he is really laid back and carries iced rum punch on board the bus! Includes lunch overlooking the Atlantic ocean and various stops.

Stiletto catarmaran cruises are good too, they stop for a swim/snorkel and have endless beers. The Mount Gay rum distillery is a must - I don't really drink spirits and since going there can't get enough of the stuff!

Have a brilliant time and just soak up the atmosphere.

Respeck!
Old 06 August 2002, 11:51 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

We stayed in St James in June 2 years ago. An absolute must is the catemaran(sp) cruise, plenty of them, swim with turtles etc.
Look out for a jet bike modelled on the them of Wesley Snipes character "BLADE", you will know if you see it. The guy looked like wesley snipes in Demolition Man(think right film). He is a cool guy.

This bike can go well over 70mph which is pretty cool going against the waves.

We did not like the subarmine, thought it was alot of money for what you got and did not see much as it was a bad day.

Make sure you have a mechanism to cant you when you fall backwards as they are so laid back they are almost horizontal

Def hire a jeep or something as you can see the place at your leisure.
Old 07 August 2002, 07:30 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Hi chrome

we went last year 1st two weeks in september,stayed in parish of st James West coast,Was last minute deal and very lucky as West coast is one of the more exclusive parts of the island,Hence"Bob Monkhouse" living oposite hotel.
I have got to say it was fantastic,Weather was superb,people are just wicked.Try the cattermarang(sorry spelling not to hot) cruise out of bridge town,swim with huge turtles.To get a proper idea of the island take the helicopter trip,expensive but again fantastic,as said already the submarine is wicked.
Im a great lover of sea food and you are spoilt for choice,not cheap to eat out,but hey you wont eat in such buitifull surroundings anywere else.
Have a wicked time,wife and me off to florida in 5 weeks am looking forward to it but am also thinking we should have gone back to Barbados...Yea maan!!!!
Old 16 August 2002, 08:50 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Not long now eh Chrome !!!

Have a good 'un I'll wave to ya mon as I fly over on my way to Florida. Might even mix up a Rum Punch as we fly over head.

Oh - A Tip for you - so you don't lose your cool image on the Jolly Roger.

There are what appear to be VERY large vents on the ships deck that you may be tempted to stand near, like I did, to get a cool breeze. BIG Mistake. Full cup of RP in hand went about 20ft vertical when Vent turned out to be MASSIVE Speaker that would have had Lemmy wet his pants !

Standing right in front of one of these mothers when they kick in with "Who let the dogs out" is guaranteed to shake you up big style. Mind you - everyone else saw the funny side as did I after another few RP's (I think they have two mixes, one that is 100 % guaranteed to get you completely sh1tfaced in about two or three glasses and render you incapable of coherent speech or limb control - I didn't try the strong one !)

Ya'mon Evry Ting be cool

Old 16 August 2002, 09:10 PM
RallyMarshal
Scooby Regular

Went out there this year (May) for the rally carnival and it was awesome.. Taking my rallycar out there next year to compete!

Stayed at Coconut Court in Hastings.. decent enough hotel - right on beach but make sure you get an aircon room (same anywhere though!). Hastings has a few places to eat - liked Shak Shak the best as right on/over the sea. If you have a Chefette (fast food lol) try their roti's as theyre pretty good.

Hired a jeep for a week and went exploring the island (and a little recce of the stages for next year!). East coast is spectacular and a lot quieter than the West or South and worth a trip but watch the sea currents if you take a dip.

Paul..

Quick Reply: Barbados? Opinions?? Stuff to see and do??