Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Florida

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2002, 10:32 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Stacked the scoob 3 1/2 weeks ago and the garage has ONLY JUST got round to ordering the parts to do the repair job.

Put together with a 450 quid excess. I need to get some bookings for the gaff in florida. so if any of you fine people are thinking about heading west for some sunshine why not have a look at the villa details...

Luxury Villa in Orlando

Cheers

Jods

[Edited by jods - 8/4/2002 11:06:06 PM]
Old 30 July 2002, 10:49 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

edited to say didnt realise it was your lol

mike
(very jelous )

[Edited by mbc - 7/31/2002 12:19:21 AM]
Old 30 July 2002, 10:51 PM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs up

Good luck, I would love to go again.

I have been there three times, just not convenient atm
Old 30 July 2002, 11:03 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Cheers Guys. I was over in March and had a fantastic time. I got to go to Busch Gardens which I would definately recommend to anyone who doesn't mind the incredible journey time of about 60 mins.

Little Miss WRX - Next time you fancy popping over State side why not check availability - Might offer a small discount !!
Old 30 July 2002, 11:08 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

That would be great

I will remember, I have only been to Busch Gardens once, Seaworld once........Disneyland and Universal Studios three times

Also went and swam with the dolphins down Miami way.....loads of things, shopping on International Drive.

I wanna go back now
Old 30 July 2002, 11:41 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Question

Jods,

Is this your pad ?? We're thinking of Florida in June 2003. I've never done anything like this before, can you help directing me for prices on flights & car hire also. I'd be well interested.

Ta
Old 30 July 2002, 11:54 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Hi Caz,

It is our pad so you can be sure it's well cared for and a home from home.

If you are looking for flights then you could try

http://http://www.virginatlantic.com
We travelled with Virgin Atlantic last time - Really Good service

http://www.cheapflights.com

Don't know what they could turn up for you.

Last year we paid around 400 for flights each including airport tax etc - not sure about prices for next June.

As for car rental there are hundreds of sites with details and the prices are really competitive. I'll dig out some of the ones I used and add them in here

http://www.car-hire-florida.com/prices.htm

[Edited by jods - 7/31/2002 12:20:10 AM]
Old 31 July 2002, 12:01 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

YHM via the website enquiry.
Old 31 July 2002, 12:16 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Caz YHM - Villa available for the dates you mentioned
Old 31 July 2002, 12:49 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

That looks spookily like the place that i stayed at a couple of years ago - except that in ours the front downstairs was also a bedroom.

Great houses, great weather, great area and great fun

mb
Old 31 July 2002, 12:56 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Yep, I would recommend it to anyone

Florida is one of the best holiday package out there
Old 31 July 2002, 08:58 AM
HGV1 Driver
Scooby Regular

Question

Is the villa on Lindfields, we have stayed on Lindfields for the last 2 occasions and are going there again in October, we do flydrive with Virgin, used Alamo (not recomend) and Dollar (recomend) which is in Airport. Would also recomend going on BOTH rides @ old town (192) before eating!!!!!!
Plenty of other things to do as you know, we even were lucky to see Shuttle lift off, we were on coco beach 2 years ago.

Jon
Old 31 July 2002, 09:03 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Is it free, for Easter 2003?
Old 31 July 2002, 09:59 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Thanks to a huge insurance excess ourselves (£750!) can't at the moment - but will bookmark for the future!

I've been when I was 13, saw as space shuttle take off as well! (well, ok, saw it about 3 seconds after take off as I was looking in the wrong direction ) Love to take the other half over as his never left this country really...

Good luck with the repairs!

Jen
Old 31 July 2002, 10:28 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Davy Boy - Fraid it's booked over Easter - Sorry
Old 31 July 2002, 10:32 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

HGV1 - The villa is in Remington Pointe not far from I192.
Old 31 July 2002, 10:36 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Those rides at Old Town are fantastic

IIRC it is the human swing and the catapult one? Definitely DO NOT EAT!!! before embarking on either of them
Old 31 July 2002, 11:55 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

L-M-WRX, you are correct, just in the middle of the 192, old town has a car meet on Sat night as well, some great cars their

shunty
Old 04 August 2002, 10:18 PM
HGV1 Driver
Scooby Regular

Question

you know where those rides are and the shops down each side, can anyone remember the CAR PERFORMANCE shop is it still there please ????,if not where has it moved to please.

Jon
Old 05 August 2002, 12:08 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Can well recommend it as went for the 3rd time last March - I have a friend at work who also has a similar pad and weve already booked again for 2003. Cant beat the accomodation for value for money. Nothing better than chilling by your own pool - nice place to relax. Looks very similar to where I stayed - think it was called Indian Pointe and was south off the 192 onto Poinciana Blvd and then a 4 mile drive behind Walmart etc.

Little Miss WRX - yep your on about the Skycoaster (worlds highest apparently which dwarfs the ones in the UK) and Slingshot (reverse bungee). Skycoaster is ace and your second drop is only $20 - I did one at night and one in day - the latter being better as you get a better sense of height etc. The same company does the skydiving wind tunnel just past Wet 'n' Wild which is amazing if a tad pricey.

Caz - Ive been with Virgin, Air Canada (via toronto as it was cheap) and BA. This year we found BA cheapest as we went direct to Tampa Bay Airport instead of Orlando International. Flights were £290 pp all inc. Tampa is about 60 mins drive from Orlando and is all Interstate/motorway (I-4). This was the cheapest place we found for car hire;

http://www.floridacarhire.com

We got a Ford Windstar Minivan which was fine for 5 and luggage (unless you all take 2 suitcases each). We got a good deal as we had 3 drivers under 25 who drove for no extra which most other places charge a lot for.

Other things to do:

1. Go and see Katie Hill and Brandy at Hooters just east on the 192 past Walmart. If your really lucky then you might be there during the bikini comp. Tip: The food sucks but the ice cold beer rocks.

2. Go to Daytona Int'l Speedway and get 3 passenger laps in a NASCAR at 170mph for $99 (gets you into musuem etc as well). We were lucky enough to go when the monster truck festival was on.

3. Visit Miami (2hrs drive south east coast) - Miami Heat if your into Basketball.

4. Shooting - visit Universal Weapons in Orlando (next juntion north on I-4 after Wet'n'Wild) if you fancy shooting sub machine guns, magnum .44's, shotguns etc.

5. Helicopter flight over kissimee/orlando - get to see disney etc from above. Well worth the money. See Orlando Helitours on the 192 north side opposite Old Town.

As you can probably gather - I like it there.

Simon.
Old 05 August 2002, 12:23 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Can't resist replying to this..

Make sure you go to Universal and experience 'The Hulk' ride if you go. Think we spent an hour going round the park and the rest of the day on that one ride. Initial acceleration is amazing.

Also check out Ybor City just outside Tampa (between Lakeland and Tampa) if your looking for a decent place to go out which isn't full of 'tourists'. Secret party town of Florida.
Old 05 August 2002, 12:58 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

The Hulk ride is fantastic. But the ride that sticks in my mind and is 100% guaranteed to bring a VERY LARGE to your face if you like awesome acceleration is Doctor Dooms Freefall. That is the ride that I kept going back too. OutF%CK!nG Standing...
Old 05 August 2002, 03:42 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

The "Car Performance Shop" is probably Mastro Subaru in Orlando.

http://www.mastrowrx.com
Old 05 August 2002, 05:01 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Jods, nice looking pad. Have been to Kissimmee 5 times and are going back later this year. Haven't stayed where yours is, but area looks very nice.

Second your opinion of Dr Doom - well fast, also like Spiderman at IoA and ofcourse Rock'n'Roller coaster at MGM.
Old 05 August 2002, 05:54 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Cheers Matt.

Hope to get out there myself in the New Year

Luxury Villa in Orlando

Have you tried Montoo? at Busch Gardens yet ?
Old 11 August 2002, 01:45 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mark,

YHM
Old 11 August 2002, 02:53 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Nice one Derek.

Speak to you soon !!!

Old 11 August 2002, 04:29 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Can't recommend Florida enough, been there four or five times, last time was with a rented villa and was much better than having a hotel. Though i did stay for 3 days in the top floor of the Sheraton tower near wet n wild on int drive and that was a seriously nice hotel, though you pay for the experience

Even got married off the Florida coast on a deserted island near clearwater

Tips for Florida newbies :-

1. pick up as many freebie books you can find when you arrive at the restaurants and bars etc and stash the discount coupons in the car, theres coupons for more or less EVERYTHING, we got a free night in the above hotel for it Can usually find discount vouchers for most parks/stores/hotels/restaurants etc.

2. try and go when the usa kids are still in school especially if your visiting the parks (universal/disney etc) much quieter if your not queing with the locals.

3. contary to uk holidaying advice carry your passport, especially if you want a beer! I still get asked for mine and im 32!

4. Be very UNenglish, by that i mean if you have an unpleasant exerience tell someone, they really do aim to please and are very receptive when things are not to a tourists liking.

5. watch out for speeding fines in areas with roadworks, there doubled! it may seem like everyone around is speeding, but unlike the uk the usa police don't necessarily pull the fastest car, just who they fancy. I was doing 80 in a roadworked area at 50mph. Got a $400 dollar fine for my troubles. The good part is you can opt to pay by post with credit card, and i kind of 'forgot' mine for two years and was only charged $5 interest

6. August in my exp is not the best time to go, VERY humid and at least one SERIOUS tropical downpour a day.

7. in smaller non chain stores barter (specially for electrical goods, be amazed what deals you can get.

8. They seem incapable of driving in the rain, they dont seem to realise that braking and accelerating are effected, you'll see a pile up at almost EVERY set of lights.

9. If you've done Orlando then get out to cocoa beach, tampa, clearwater + daytona, lots of things to see especially Busch Gardens which has arguably better rides than the Orlando parks and its only an hours drive away.

thats about all i can think of in the way of newbie tips..
Old 12 August 2002, 08:05 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

caz1562

YHM re Rate info

Old 13 August 2002, 10:10 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Adrenalin rush guaranteed