Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Baby on Board

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2002, 02:19 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22BUK,
What about actually being a ******** for having a generally **** attitude, none of the people who've got these stickers is doing you or anyone any harm, on the other hand your running about allowing absolutely nothing to annoy you and for no good reason. FFS grow up. Then again its all about YOU and whats important to you isnt it ?

ADP,
Its obviously not going to affect your attitude but most of the population don't have the same blinkered outlook as you do. Which is lucky for the rest of us.

[Edited by camk - 8/4/2002 2:22:39 PM]
Old 23 July 2002, 11:36 AM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Angry

Why do some d*ckheads still put these signs in their rear windows? What are they hoping to achieve?
Old 23 July 2002, 11:38 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Question

Yeah I'm curious to know the answer to this too. All I can think is that in the event of an accident the emergency services would know there was a baby on the back seat - that is if they happened to look in the rear window of course

Sal

Old 23 July 2002, 11:44 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Cool

The sign is obvious isn't it? It just refers to the mental age of the driver ;-)
Old 23 July 2002, 12:00 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Perhaps they are wanting you to keep your distance as if you were to rear-end the car there is a high chance of a small child being injured.
Scoobychick, it does indeed give us (Emegency services) an idea that there may well be a wee one involved and despite the fact that most kiddies seats are AMAZING things in an RTA (I have attended an RTA where an adult had been thrown clear into a tree! and the wee one was sitting in the back seat with no injuries !!) it has been known for some to have been thrown from the car.

But I would say, in the main they may just want a bit of courtesy and not to be tailgated by an impatient @rse

Paul
Old 23 July 2002, 12:02 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I believe that they are there to warn other drivers to be a bit more conciderate with the said vehicle. The driver may not be willing to take risks that others would (overtaking on marginal opportunities, cornering quickly etc). Just give them a bit more room, don't talegate or intimidate them. It's bad enough when you're by yourself. Worse when you have you own child on board...

Nimbus
+ 11 month daughter
Old 23 July 2002, 12:04 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Paul,

You posted your reply while I was typing mine.... Same thoughts though...
Old 23 July 2002, 12:05 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Angry

What a load of total and complete and utter b0llocks. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

FFS, like I'm going to be driving along and think "well, I was planning to crash into that car, but since it has a baby-on-board sign on it, I'll just keep my distance"!!!!

I find it as patronising and irritating as truck drivers flashing me so I know when it's safe to pull back in. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

GRRRRRRRR!
Old 23 July 2002, 12:12 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Marko,

Don't talk cr4p.

The point is that may be, just may be, you will refain from tailgating, or intimidating, or making agressive actions towards a car knowing that the car contains a baby or small child. (NOTE. Not say "you" as in you, just "you" as in the rest of the driving population)

Just take extra care, that's all...
Old 23 July 2002, 12:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yeah, it sucks. these ppl think they are something special with their stupid stickers. they are inconsiderate of my abilities as a driver and should know better. they dont even deserve to have kids.

Tiggs

ps- hope i sounded enough of a COMPLETE ****..i was just trying to fit in
Old 23 July 2002, 12:15 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Everytime I see one, I'm reminded of the Jasper Carrot sketch on the issue...

His take is that its put in by Dads to SHOUT to the world that he is FERTILE & CAN PROVE IT by producing the said Baby On Board

LOL

Old 23 July 2002, 12:21 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The point is that may be, just may be, you will refain from tailgating, or intimidating, or making agressive actions towards a car knowing that the car contains a baby or small child.
I think you're missing the point. Your statement implies that the driver will show some sort of intelligence or consideration. In which case they almost certainly wouldn't be doing the things you mention in the first place.

Are you really suggesting that somebody who's so inattentive (or just plain rude) that they'd tail-gate or drive aggressively, would suddenly revert to being all polite and courteous, just 'cos of some daft sticker in the back of the car?

If so, you're being incredibly naive!

AFAICS, the only reason for one of those stickers is to help the emergency services be aware of whether a baby might have been in the car. But since I regularly see cars driving around with those stickers when they clearly don't have any child on board, they must surely serve only to waste time and confuse.
Old 23 July 2002, 12:28 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

As an addendum, would anyone here think it justifiable or sensible if I had a sticker saying "Wife on board" or "Work Colleague on Board" or "Very good friend on board"? What about "Pet on board"?

After all, I wouldn't want people to drive aggressively, tail-gate, etc, when I've got anyone driving with me - or even when I'm on my own. I fail to see why having a person below an arbitrary age (2 years? 3 years? 6 months?) should make a blind bit of difference!
Old 23 July 2002, 12:44 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

marko- what about signs for old ppl crossing at the roadside or deer or for that matter any sign designed to make you more aware of your surroundings- you could say "ohh, what a load of rubbish im allready within the law, why adjust for some old people"

in the scheme of things a sticker (in someone elses car) is hardly any of your business anyway. you will probably find that most people will pick the noisy exhuast on many of our cars as far more anoying than a baby on board sticker.

Tiggs
Old 23 July 2002, 12:45 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I *think* the real purpose of the signs is to alert any emergency service who may attend an accident scene involving the car...a small child in the back of a crumpled car could be easy to miss.
I'm amazed you guys can get so wound up about it..I mean how exactly does it affect your quality of life anyway?
Long live the self-righteous!
C

Old 23 July 2002, 12:46 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

perhaps his folks never bothered with a sign for their car and so hes feeling hard done by!

T
Old 23 July 2002, 12:50 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

ScoobyLoobyLou's due to drop end of Sept, and I'll be putting one of said stickers in back window.

I'll maybe even get a custom one made along the lines of "Baby in back, dog in boot, so f**king back off, and I don't want a race (and if your name's 22BUK, Marko or Tiggs, f**k off anyway)".

That's going to be a big sticker

Mike.

Old 23 July 2002, 12:51 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I think you're missing the point. Your statement implies that the driver will show some sort of intelligence or consideration. In which case they almost certainly wouldn't be doing the things you mention in the first place.
Not nessecerily. He could be an average joe public driver who's in a rush and wants the car in front to move over so they can get by. Maybe he would think twice about trying to intimidate the car ahead if he knew the driver was concerned about the baby they are carrying.

Are you really suggesting that somebody who's so inattentive (or just plain rude) that they'd tail-gate or drive aggressively, would suddenly revert to being all polite and courteous, just 'cos of some daft sticker in the back of the car?
I have on occacians decide not to be as... well... "progressive" in my driving when getting behine another cat because it had a sticker. I DO give the drivers a bit more time to do things and give them more conceration. Does this make me inattentive or rude the rest of the time?

If so, you're being incredibly naive!
My 15 years of driving on these countries ever more congested and "driver frustrated" roads have given me a fair idea of the mentallity of other road users, but I continue to be suppries by their actions, for both good and bad reasons. Naive? I don't think so. Just hoping that there still some sence out there...

But since I regularly see cars driving around with those stickers when they clearly don't have any child on board, they must surely serve only to waste time and confuse.
This bit I completley agree on. I don't see the point in them being displayed when there isn't a baby on board...

Anyway, you can either look on them as a freidly notice to say "please be carefull with me ", or you can ignore them. Not worth getting too heated about it though...

Old 23 July 2002, 12:53 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I didn't start the post. I'm not overly wound-up by it, but it does irritate me mildly.

Regarding the comparison to the 'old people crossing' sign, that's different. If I'm driving along a road I'm looking for hazards anyway, but if there's likely to be an extra hazard (a partially deaf person who might not hear me, for example, so might step out) I can adjust my speed correspondingly.

However, the fact that the car in front either does or doesn't have a baby in the passenger seat makes absolutely no difference to the level or presence of hazards that I am looking out for; I am careful whenever I drive.

I just find it slightly patronising that people should have a sticker asking me to be more careful than I'm already being, when I would expect people to show equal care or courtesy regardless of whether I'm alone in the car, sitting with a friend/wife, or have a 6-month old baby as a passenger.

And if you think the sticker will have any tangible effect on the loony nutter driver who's hooning around flat out in every built-up area he/she can find, then I think it's a rather naive and simplistic outlook, that's all.

But I never said people can have 'em on their cars. They're most welcome....
Old 23 July 2002, 12:55 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Try looking for a small child in a ditch at the side of a road (you would be glad of a sticker if the occupant of the car is unconssious or dead and cant tell you a thing) It is often hard enough to find an adult casualty. I refer back to my other post. If the RTA was to have happened while there were leaves on the trees she would probably not have been found until autumn ! (I kid you not)

A good driver is not one that can drive a tonne and not loose it nor is it someone who can overtake and pull back in before the corner and still ensure a good line through ! A good driver is one who has the ability to drive to a level that causes no distress, worry or anxiety to other road users and if a wee sticker can help pick out a car that may need extra care then good.

For the record I have driven at a tonne and I do overtake but no one is perfect

Paul
Old 23 July 2002, 01:00 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

As I was the one who started this post, I'm with MarkO on this.

Got stopped last winter by the police on the M6 for having an unreadable rear numberplate (covered in muck from a very wet drive back from Switzerland). They gave me a couple of "wet wipes" to clean it off and told me that the fine these days is now £1,000.

They let me off (decent chaps!) and told me that it was a similar fine for having an obstructed view out of the rear window, including "Baby on Board" signs!

Incidentally, the fine for having the view out of the windscreen "obstructed " is £2,000 and did any of you know that you can be fined £1,000 for having snow on the roof?
Old 23 July 2002, 01:00 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Dear me ! We are all getting a bit opinionated here !

let them have their stickers, and lets all drive safely -as much as we can-

If you are looking for stickers to put on the back of your cars I can send you some to support Firefighters in our fight for a fair pay ???

All the best

Paul
Old 23 July 2002, 01:06 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have no problem whatsoever with 'Baby on Board' stickers.

The Self Righteous, Born Again God Squaddy Ba5tards with the little chrome fish on their cars however!!!
Old 23 July 2002, 01:06 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I have a 2 year old and no sticker... Reason being if anybody tailgates me when she is in the car I will normally let them pass and get on with it. I do understand having it in to inform emergency services but I would be just as concerned if the sticker was in, car was burning, emergency services try to get in but find, even though there they have put their life at risk there was no
baby in the car.

If people want to put stickers in then let them, why not pick on those that have max power when it isn't !!! (Joke).

Dave

Old 23 July 2002, 01:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Regarding the comparison to the 'old people crossing' sign, that's different. If I'm driving along a road I'm looking for hazards anyway, but if there's likely to be an extra hazard (a partially deaf person who might not hear me, for example, so might step out) I can adjust my speed correspondingly."

really? i'd be surprised, most wouldnt.....and the example is exactly the same. the driver is just asking you to be carefull cause they have a kid- whas wrong with that?

Tiggs

and mike, why would your big sticker tell me to f*** off? i have opposing views to the others on the sticker so i dont see your point?
Old 23 July 2002, 01:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Its absolutely nothing to do with alerting emergency services to potential small casualty. Like as not, if the car is upside down in a ditch, it wouldn't be noticed anyway.

If it were to alert the emergency services, then a standard would be adopted, such as a recognised sticker, that would be placed at a number of known positions on the vehicle.

However, it is extremely unlikely as the potential for causing injuries to rescue personnel whilst searching for non-existant infants (whose parent/guardians had not removed sign/sticker) under hazardous conditions would preclude it.

It is solely as an advisory to other road-users that you might be driving more cautiously because of having a child on board and to beware of that and understand that - like as if people actually do

Old 23 July 2002, 01:20 PM
bladerider
Scooby Regular

In my opinion, I don't have a problem with these "baby on board" signs. I tend to ignore them anyway as I see them as being maybe a little pretentious. There are signs on cars that I do take notice of however, and will back off because of the unpredictable nature of their drivers. I'm refering of course to taxi's and learners.
David
Old 23 July 2002, 01:22 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

I think these stickers should be compulsory.

I always take extra care when I see them, especially now they've introduced rear facing cots that fit in the front seat.

It usually means the drivers paying less attention to the road whilst they are busy coo cooing to junior, cleaning it up with a wet wipe or checking it's not thrown up over the upholstery!
Old 23 July 2002, 01:30 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

sorry mate, didn't read the ps at the end of your post. Consider yourself removed from the sticker

Mike.
Old 23 July 2002, 01:32 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Caution - Show Whelks In Transit

Quick Reply: Baby on Board