Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who here does club racing? (cars not bikes)

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2002, 08:05 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i started in the castle combe saloons this year - great fun, recommended etc. I did a bunch of track days, maybe 30 or so, but began to find them a bit pointless - i was beginning to fall into the trap of upgrading the car to go faster rather than improving the driver.

I had a look at Stock Hatch, but i felt that it was too agressive - a large proportion of cars ended the day with panel damage; fair enough if you (or in many cases, your dad) owns a scrappy or a garage but not realistic if you're funding the whole thing yourself. Hot Hatch is a bit more sane, but the cars are getting pretty expensive.

Castle Combe is reasonably friendly and great place to learn. There are a bunch of others to look at though (fiat uno series, Kumho BMW's, Mod Prod Saloons) - pick up a copy of autosport and check out the club championships at the back.

IMHO its best to get a low powered car (ive got a whole 113bhp) a learn how to drive the wheels off it, than go straight in with a monster. To put this in perspective at the track days ive been on with my 205 my corner speed has matched or bested most things (caterhams, scoobies, etc) using all the kerb and some of the grass... driving a low powered car at 110% is far more entertaining than a high power car at 75%.

jon
Old 23 July 2002, 07:23 AM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Bob
I have been racing in Stock Hatch for the last 4 years and can reccomend it, Its a fantastic series with a great bunch of people, You will have fun. As with any motorsport its not quite as cheap you may think but still represents fairly good value for money. Unfortunately I have been unable to race so far this season due to work commitments and miss it like hell, may have a race ready car for sale,mail me if you are interested.

Les
Old 23 July 2002, 08:04 AM
foldertronics
Scooby Regular

You have anough problems driving on the road bravo - let alone the track ;P
Old 23 July 2002, 11:24 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

les - how do you find the (er....) standard of driving ? have i just been unlucky with the races that ive watched, or do you tend to have to get the lump hammer out after every race ?