Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Muppet dog owners!

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2002, 09:37 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I was in the Park with my wife and kids yesterday when some muppet [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] thought it was ok for his dogs to run about the kids play area, even though the play area is fenced off and has got grates on the entrance to stop dogs from gaining entry. My six year old son wanted to stroke the dog and started to tease it by barking at it and I had to explain to him while telling him off, that not all dogs are friendley and he is never to tease any dogs ever, as they can and do bite. I then told my son the only time he can stroke a dog is when I or his mum is there, and we have said it is ok, at this the owner of said dog laughs, WTF?!? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

We then decided to move away from the play area to the other side of the park only to have this prat have his Staf terrior running upto my 3 year old daughter and round her legs several times, get this the **** thought it was funny! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] What is it with some people. I don't think anything I said would of made him change his supervision of his dog. He may well be happy to have a Staf terrior playing with his kids, but I am not. Him thinking it was funny for other parents to be concerned for the safety of their kids just shows him to be a total fecking d!ck. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
He was the stereo typical owner of this type of dog, having a shaven head and tattoos, which no doubt he uses to reinforce his "hard" image or he uses to stop the doubts he feels about his own masculinity.

I do not think we was over re-acting to be concerned for our kids safety when confronted with a Staff terrior that we have never seen before, especialy considering the stereo typical group that this Muppet owner was a part of.

Am I right in thinking that Staffordshire terriors have "lock jaws"?

Regards [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ian
Old 21 July 2002, 10:31 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Angry

What a wank3r. I don't have kids but I would have killed this **** stain.

Only problem for him is that I would never consider a staff "hard" 90% (not all) are soft as ****, but that doesn't mean he has the right to do what he did. if you see him again call the nick. Say a guy is threatening children. After all thats what hes doing! He'll get put on the nonce list and get ****ed in prison. Hope you won't see him for a while after that!

And Im a dog lover! So I have to point out that it AGAIN wasn't the dog but the owner! Bring back proper license control for dog owners and we could be rid of this type of stupidity!

Im not sure about whether its technically a lock jaw. But they are bloody strong. A couple of mates have them and you can get them to bite there lead and pick them up by it. They'll hang there for ages, tail wagging merrily!

Richard

[Edited by rr_ww - 7/21/2002 11:00:28 AM]

[Edited by diablo - 7/22/2002 11:57:46 AM]
Old 21 July 2002, 10:42 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

What did the dog owner say when you asked him to keep his dog away from you and your children?
Old 21 July 2002, 11:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Red face

This sort of behaviour is what gives dogs a bad name.
I used to have an Alsation who was as soft as a boat horse with people, but you had to be aware that some folk are afraid of dogs esp. certain types, and keep him under close control.
Funniest thing I ever saw with him was on the High street in Stratford on Avon. We were stood looking in a shop window, dog on lead sat quietly. American lady walks up to look in shop too. Crowded street. Dog sniffs her hand with cold wet nose! American lady looks down, nearly takes off, jumps back screaming at the top of her voice "Oh my GAAARD, it's a Shepherd!!!"
Old 21 July 2002, 11:20 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

You trying to give us Muppets a bad name???
Old 21 July 2002, 11:28 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

As an ex staffie-owner (no tatts, my own receeding hair) they get quite a bad press from people who dont know dogs. They are well known for being extremely friendly/protective of children and people in general, just a complete nightmare with other dogs.

That said, the ******** owner is completely in the wrong. You are absolutely correct to make sure that your children always ask the permission of a dog owner before allowing them to pet any dog. This sounds like the kind of owner who, regardless of breed, can turn any dog into a nightmare for Joe Public. Like a child, if brought up wrongly, any dog can turn out to be a real pain. Imagine what the morons kids would be like.

Generally owners of potentially vicious dogs will put them on a lead when anyone else is around. It sounds that you're kids are not particularly nervous of dogs. If possible try and keep them that way. Like most animals dogs can tell when someone is nervous of them, and it makes them edgy. (like me with horses - I'm scared stiff of the buggers, and they know it - I think they all want to kill me for it !!!)

Please dont generalise all dogs/owners by the actions of a few - people could also say most Scooby owners are baseball cap wearing kids doing 95 in a 30 just as school kicks out
Old 21 July 2002, 12:34 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

The guy did not care as he could blatantly see that it was a fenced off area with swings etc for kids only and he made no attempt to keep the dog out. When we moved to the other side of the park well away from him he called the dog out of the play area and got it to run to where we was, at which point we decided to leave as wifey did not want it to escalate and get out of hand. With his reaction to my concern for my kids, I didn't think that disscusing the matter with him would of had him change his behaviour in any way.

Besides why should I have to say anything to this guy in the first place as it goes without saying that a fenced off kids play area with grates is not for a dog to run about in

I have been bitten twice as a child and know that some dogs especially Poodles for some reason are completely nuts. But also when I was a child we had dogs in our family so I do know that there are some friendly ones about. It goes without saying that not all dog owners behave the same as this guy did.

Figment I think that the word Muppet was around before the Muppet Forum was started, and hence I reserve the right to use it to describe this brainless ****

ian

Old 21 July 2002, 01:06 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Guy was an utter tw*t m8. Not a lot else you could do apart from shut his dog in the play area and then kick him in the n*ts. The guy that is, not the dog.
No point in reporting him as the dog did'nt bite so nothing will get done.
Alasdair
Old 22 July 2002, 11:28 AM
Am I sick or just mad!
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have heard of Hare coursing and now child coursing what next cat coursing now that I would pay to see

Mad Mark
Old 22 July 2002, 12:07 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nightmare.

What a ****

Really just strengthens my point that its the owner not the dog [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img].

Ian, report it to the relavant authorities and ask them to keep a look out for this ****.

I've seen a few people carrying small dogs into similar areas in my local park. WTF are they thinking about.

Personally me and my Rottie stay well away from the play area.....all those noisy kids scare the crap out of me and my dog especially the six year olds that bark at her

D
Old 22 July 2002, 12:21 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Angry

Agree with Diablo, pratts like that give us responsible Staffie owners a bad name (I've got two). Whilst my youngest Staffie loves children and always wants to play with them she's not allowed to off the lead. We let our neighbours kid (who's 10) play with her but she is always supervised. I wouldn't dream of letting her run about in a park where children were present let alone in a kids play area That bloke is a complete w4nker and shouldn't be allowed to have a dog [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Even if the dog is ok with children it can still be very frightening to have a dog running around off the lead, not just for them but for the parents too.

Sal

[Edited by scoobychick - 7/22/2002 12:23:59 PM]
Old 22 July 2002, 07:58 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Mad Mark I don't think that you are Sick or Mad just very sad!

Just had a thought is there a fence to protect the kids or to protect the dogs?

I think maybe I should clarify my statement about stereo typical Staf owners, as you Sal most definitely don't fit the profile I have described. What I meant to say was that the guy had the stereo typical thug look and was in my mind using this breed of dog to portray a hard image.

Thanks ian
Old 22 July 2002, 08:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian - I take it you didnt tell him to put his dog on a lead as you feared he may smack you one? No shame in that mate as the stereotype you refer to get away with a lot 'just' because they 'look' the part!!

I have a GSD and appreciate that NOT everyone likes them and a lot are scared, my dog is very rarely on a lead as I can control her COMPLETELY by voice. I always make a point of 'Dropping' her when someone looks worried - this is done by my voice and she immediately lies down. It puts everyone at ease to know I have control without needing a lead.

That bloke with a dog worrying people is a complete and utter 4rse

Pete
Old 23 July 2002, 09:00 AM
Nic
Scooby Regular

I worked as a Vet Nurse for 6yrs in Bradford City Centre & just outside Leeds & it really opened my eyes to the number of complete brainless wafnacks who own dogs. The problem with bringing back dog licences is that it doesn't restrict people to getting dogs. I have met owners who think it is funny if there dog bites someone - apparently it shows the dog has spirit - until it bites them....then the best course of action is to beat it......and we wonder why so many of these pets are mad?!?!?!?. Its good to hear that people are trying to educate their kids, ultimately its a wild animal. Top 3 dogs on the dangerous dogs list as out together by vet nurses...... Yorki's, jack russels, Chihuahua's!!!!!! Give me a Rottie or shepherd any day
Old 23 July 2002, 09:05 AM
ScoobyLoobyLou
Scooby Regular

We have a two year old black lab and we were walking him last night when two kids about the age of 5 or 6 were coming towards us on their bikes (with stabalizers) and one of them approached our dog and our dog almost **** himself, he got such a scare cos he was minding his own business and obviously smelled something very interesting agains a fence! Anyway, the kid tried to attract his attention but Milo just walked away!

L
Old 23 July 2002, 12:29 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

is this the muppet dog you are talking of ??

All joking aside these people give all dog owners (and those with shaved heads ) a bad name. PC plod would probably be your best bet here....if you can tear him away from his speed trap (which I bet wont be set up beside a child's play park )

I personally ensure that my Boxers 'sit' and 'stay' whenever approached by children and make a point of letting them know that they should ask to pet them if they are not with their parents (all this would never take place at a kiddies park ! )

Paul
Old 23 July 2002, 01:07 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

a complete nightmare with other dogs.
Scumbag, another generalisation I'm afraid. Our Great Dane was much worse than any of the five Bull Terriers we have owned. In fact they NEVER attacked a dog, just retalliated!
I can still recall the picture of a GSD whining as it ran up the road dragging our English Bull Terrier bitch. She had her teeth clamped to its *****
Bet it thought twice about picking on little dogs afterwards

Ian I don't think you over reacted, just one of those things we are confronted with nowdays.

BTW Bull Terriers can lock their jaws. If they do that the only way to pull them off is to push their noses against their "prey". When they relax their grip to breath pull them away!

Another characteristic is the tendancy to roll on their back if attacked. When the other dog jumps on them they go for it's throat!

(No tattoos and retain what little hair I have left. Maybe I should get some now I don't have a dog to make me appear hard
Old 23 July 2002, 01:51 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Paul, now you come to mention it that dog in the picture does look familiar.
ian
Old 23 July 2002, 01:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have an english bull terrier and can confirm that holding its nose works very well- its allways biting me and this is the only way to get it off.

T