Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Radar Positioning

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 09:27 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Fitted my Bel990i in the middle of the screen at the bottom...
Ran the wire through the dash and wired it into the back of the cig lighter, so I could still use the socket for charging my phone.

Two weeks into the summer and the heat of leaving it on the dash and the sun shining on it caused it to over heat and error...
Works fine after cooling it down. So I have moved it to the top of the screen just above the rear view mirror, and is out of direct sunlight.
Here it seems to pick up stuff in front more quickly but is less good at stuff fromt behind (ooeer). But then you should have already seen the trap or it has picked it up from the front already.
Currently have the curly wire running down to the cig lighter which is annoying me and I will eventually wire it in again I think.

JGM

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster 2 - 7/1/2002 9:28:26 AM]
Old 30 June 2002, 02:52 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Cool

Last radar related post from me - just ordered a Snooper S5.

What is the best place for it ?

Middle of the dash would seem obvious but cos of the wiper spoiler (MY99), would have to be fairly high up and very visible (presumably they have to have an unobstructed view). Drivers side corner looks good, but then got the cable danglin hassle and with bein on the corner, maybe less liable to pick up signals ?

Cheers,
Craig

Old 30 June 2002, 03:03 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Watch out for this detector blocking out Sky Digital signals.
Caused me no end of grief before I eventually realised what why my Sky was always fooked.
Old 30 June 2002, 03:33 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do wot ? Hows that work then ? Presumably only when yer've got it powered up in the car and sky digital on in the house ? Unless of course, yer've got a dish on the side of the scoob ? (how do yer insert a smiley here ?)

Do tell. Doesnt affect me, but could upset the neighbours.

Old 30 June 2002, 03:59 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Had mine with constant supply to it so always on.

Few days after buying it I noticed my Sky Digi was knacked, called out Sky (£60), got told the box was shot, so bought Sky Plus (£300).

The night it was installed my car was parked around far side of my house, so after new box was fitted everything was fine.

The next day I stuck car in usual position and Sky was knacked again, engineer came out under warranty and spent 2 visits trying to work out why there was strong interference blocking the signal.
Eventually he gave up and moved the dish to far side of house (a long run) and charged me another £75 for all the aggro.

Next day I parked car round back of house (where dish was repositioned to) near my garage and Sky was dead again, that was when I sussed out what was causing the problem.

Turns out it was also blocking out my neighbours Sky too, altho I never told them it was me causing the problem, just kept quiet

Old 30 June 2002, 04:01 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Click here for explanation on smileys

http://www.btinternet.com/~sandlans/...s/smilies.html
Old 30 June 2002, 05:14 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Big Goon,

are you sure that you don't have a Tracker or other GSM-based security system installed in your car.

How on earth can a passive radar detector, which will be powered down when the engine is switched off, and probably removed when parked, affect a satellite dish pointing at a very specific part of the sky???

mb
Old 30 June 2002, 06:11 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Had mine with constant supply to it so always on
Boomer

Old 30 June 2002, 06:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

oops,

missed that, although i can't understand why it is wired into a constant supply when you are not driving - cue flat battery

Even so, it should not radiate any signals (they are designed to be stealthy). If it does work (i.e. break Sky), then it sounds like an excellent way to extort (er, come to a meaninful financial arrangement) money from Mr Murdoch using a street-legal device

mb
Old 30 June 2002, 06:35 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

In the instructions on mine(can't remember the model but £300)it states you mustn't keep the power connected when stopping and startring the engine in case of a power surge.
Old 30 June 2002, 06:36 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Cheers fer the smiley info - link from Scoobynet is bust.

So Big Goon, where've yer got your S5 mounted. Yer say it's permanently plumbed in - how ? Where does the feed come out and where've yer taken it from ?

Btw, how d'yer rate the S5 ?

Cheers,
Craig.
Old 30 June 2002, 06:49 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

I'm a lazy bast, cba to wire it in properly, so ran a 12v feed from the map lights to it, but means its always on unless I switch it off.
I mounted mine next to my rear view mirror, but after weeks of forgetting to switch it off and then having to go out in the p1ssing rain to switch it off so I could watch the footie I decided to shove it in the garage, and there she still lies.

Think yank police use sommit called VG-2 that detects anti-radar devices, so they must emit something, and its very strong whatever it is.
Old 30 June 2002, 07:21 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Smile

never thought of stickin it there, but dont think I'll bother ta...

Accordin to this, they have vg2 detection protection : http://www.tradingdirect.co.uk/radar...comparison.htm
Old 30 June 2002, 08:16 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Yeah they do, not used over here or anywhere but US I think, but does show the detectors do emit something and whatever it is it blocks Sky Digi broadcasts.
Old 30 June 2002, 08:23 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

Can it block specific programs..like Alan bloody Titchmarsh and feckin 24hr changing rooms?
Old 30 June 2002, 09:27 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I have a Bel 855Sti, sucker mounted to the windscreen immediately below the rear view mirror. The power cable runs up the mirror stalk (cable-tied), then tucked into the headlining, inside the A-pillar, behind the glove box, then into the centre console and next to the handbrake, where its attached to the feed for the cigarette lighter. Nice and neat, no stray wires, and no, I didn't do it myself.

T
Old 30 June 2002, 09:27 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

rofl