Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone on here up on Digital Satellite TV

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2002, 07:48 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

5 years or so ago I had a Pace IP508 reciever with a D2mac decoder and 1m motorised dish. I used to programme the chip on the d2mac card and get free channels

Since moving house I never put the system back up and now as its analogue I guess there's no point.
I'm looking at getting a digital system now, would use it instead of the pile-a-crap Amstrad sky digibox and would be interested in finding out what other satellites are transmitting anything of interest, maybe using a twin LNB, or motorised if theres enough sats out there.

Anyone into this kinda thing can point me to some good web sites for info on the latest kit available?

John
Old 30 June 2002, 09:35 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

You cant dump the digibox. The encryption used by sky (even for "free-to-air" channels) is propietary and is licensed only for digiboxes. The length of time it takes a digibox to sync up also makes a movable dish not too good.

best bet is to keep the mini-dish/digibox and have a separate digital decoder for the 1m.

My Dad also had a 1m Dish + MSS508. He hasnt gone digital so I haveno idea if theres anyhting worth getting....

Deano
Old 30 June 2002, 11:17 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mega,

I've got exactly the same kit in my garage since moving house 3 yrs ago. I still buy all the Satellite mags and when I get some free time I'll be going motorised digital - probably and Echostar receiver (got Sky already). From the kit in my garage, the only bits worth keeping are the dish, mount and motor and probably the 13 amp plugs off the receiver and decoder.

Kevin.
Old 30 June 2002, 02:28 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah I been trying to sell the Pace508 and the Philips d2mac decoder, can't give the sodding things away

I thought you bought one of these "cam" things to be able to plug your sky digi card in if not using a Sky digibox?

Old 30 June 2002, 02:59 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I thought the CAMs were for getting terrestrial digital on iDTVs - but I could be wrong.
Old 30 June 2002, 09:08 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

I have a similar set-up as yours,and all i have done is bought a digital receiver(nokia 9800s),the 1m motorised dish has a twin output Lnb(1 analogue,1 digital).You can even pick up other digital free to air channels with a digibox(sky),but you are limited to 22000 and 27500 FEC rate.Have a look at the latest What Satellite to get some idea's of the latest kit.
Hope this helps.
Dean