Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shed lights.

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2021, 06:38 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Shed lights.

A preschool shed needs some lights and as no one is prepared to change batteries and look after them I thought maybe solar is the way.

Are those solar lights any good?

Could you recommend any? The shed has a flat roof so a solar panel could sit on the top or mounted on the side of the shed quite nicely.
Old 23 August 2021, 06:46 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
A preschool shed needs some lights and as no one is prepared to change batteries and look after them I thought maybe solar is the way.

Are those solar lights any good?

Could you recommend any? The shed has a flat roof so a solar panel could sit on the top or mounted on the side of the shed quite nicely.
I've no experience with solar , and I am an electrician, but would solar not be crap as a sole source of power for the likes of winter or gloomy days (when you most need lights ironically)
Be fine as a supplement to another source of power but not as the ONLY source. Batteries etc would be needed for it to run properly which I assume becomes expensive. I think that's what those panels are for, charging a battery in a caravan for example.
Old 23 August 2021, 06:59 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I've no experience with solar , and I am an electrician, but would solar not be crap as a sole source of power for the likes of winter or gloomy days (when you most need lights ironically)
Be fine as a supplement to another source of power but not as the ONLY source. Batteries etc would be needed for it to run properly which I assume becomes expensive. I think that's what those panels are for, charging a battery in a caravan for example.
My neighbours have those ghastly lanterns in their garden and they seem to be bright all year.
the problem I have with battery powered is that the staff wouldn't change the batteries.
I'm not sure if they would even plug them in to charge if there was a USB option.
Old 23 August 2021, 01:26 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I've just bought some solar lights, there quite bright. You can get them to only come on with motion sensors, thats the ones I've bought. Should make them last for a while, not sure how long the batteries will last, guessing a good few years.

https://www.thesolarcentre.co.uk/?gc...AaArDoEALw_wcB

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
My neighbours have those ghastly lanterns in their garden and they seem to be bright all year.
the problem I have with battery powered is that the staff wouldn't change the batteries.
I'm not sure if they would even plug them in to charge if there was a USB option.
Old 23 August 2021, 07:03 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If nearby building has high aspect fit a high mounted LED flood lamp
Old 23 August 2021, 07:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I guess what you need to know is how bright do you need them and how long do they need to work for ?

Bit of info: Incandescent GLS clear 60 watt bulb (banned) is 800lumens; That's fully spherical 360 degree distribution.

The maximum a LED lamp achieves is about 100lumens per watt: Give or take depending on the Chinese manufacturers lying or not A 5ft 58watt fluorescent strip light is about 5000lumens

So for one 60watt bulb your are going to need at least 6 watts of LED light. For one 5ft strip light you'll need at least 50watts!

My 12ft by 8ft shed has two 28watt 5ft mains powered strips (56watts) that's ample IMHO

If you used 12v caravan lighting or a roll of 12v LED strip; 50watts is about 4.2amps. For say, 5hours use thats 21amp/hours. Now if you used solar to charge a leisure/deep cycle battery. You are going to need a much bigger wattage panel to put back in what you use due to efficiency loss during charging and dull weather.

An 80watt panel will put out 5amps tops but only on perfect sunny days: UK has roughly 5 sunshine hours a day;More on summer, Less in winter. Really you probably need at least double that, so 160watt monocrystaline panel minimum with a charge controller should give about 8 to 9amps.

Battery: 80amp/hour battery kept above 50% charge (to maintain its lifespan) will give a comfortable 10 hours of use without charging. If you use them for longer or have more/brighter lights and use in winter you are going to want a bigger battery and a bigger panel to go with it.

Suddenly it's starting to cost:

Battery £80
Lights £30
Intelligent charge controller £20
Panel £110
Fittings to secure/mount panel £25
Wiring sundries £20

Now....For mains:
50m drum of 3x 2.5mm SWA £30
2way metal garage consumer unit (with rcbo) £21
Lamp £30
switches + boxes etc £20
CW Glands £10
RCBO £20

Wire the above yourself except for the RCBO and bung a spark to fit the RCBO in your existing consumer unit (unless it ancient or full)