Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

WFH - Mileage Claim For Going To Office

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2021, 04:55 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default WFH - Mileage Claim For Going To Office

The company I work for is about to issue new contracts which changes our place of work from our current office (which no longer exists) to home. A number of questions are coming out, but one is, are you able to claim mileage if you drive in to the new office if you ever have to go in? The company is saying no, but everything I read seems to suggest you can. Anything to do with HMRC is never simple, so reading various things online doesn't appear to give the answer. Direct experience appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by ^Qwerty^; 26 April 2021 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Changed detail
Old 26 April 2021, 05:43 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

AFAIK*, HMRC allows for the provision of expenses payments for milage driven in a private vehicle for business purposes without additional taxation.

So if your company is willing to pay your travel expenses, then you would receive that payment tax free, however they are not obliged to pay you expenses, it would depend on your contact with the company.

What is probably not covered is for you to reclaim taxes directly from HMRC on travel expenses declared in your personal tax return.

* It's a few years now since I wound up my UK company, so the rules may now be different!
Old 26 April 2021, 08:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I may chip in; Also car insurance.

If it's your own car, usually insurance includes commuting to and from a fixed place of work. However if you WFH, travelling between work locations 'for' work could be classed as business use.

Just something be wary of...check your policy wording.
Old 27 April 2021, 08:34 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I may chip in; Also car insurance.

If it's your own car, usually insurance includes commuting to and from a fixed place of work. However if you WFH, travelling between work locations 'for' work could be classed as business use.

Just something be wary of...check your policy wording.
Yeah, I flagged that one yesterday. We've gone from a single office location to one that is now split. I pointed out that if someone drove from one location to the other, they would need business use on their car insurance....cue a silence whilst that sank in. But as you say, if you're now home based, you'll need business insurance to drive in to an office. Regardless of what anyone says, if you have a prang and the insurance company can avoid paying out, they will do. Also the police may book you for no insurance; saw that on PI last week, although it was more clear cut as they were delivering takeaways.

Back on the main question though. From my further reading last night. If I'm now home based, and spend the majority of my time at home (HMRC seems to quote 60% as a majority figure), then if I have to go in to the office for 1 or 2 days, then I should be able to claim that. I actually think they've opened up a rats nest by doing this - and just sending it out to land in people's inbox's probably wasn't the best delivery mechanism either.
Old 27 April 2021, 01:30 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Since March 2020 I've worked from home and in January this year I was told the office would'nt re-open. My contract has now been changed to a Home worker.
I had the option to have another local(ish) office made my place of work, but chose the work from home contract.
I'm able to claim mileage for whenever I have to go to the office. With my company it's a flat £20 claim no matter how far I travel. If I have to travel further afield to one of our northern offices I book a hire car.

I spoke to my insurance company and added business use (1000 miles pa) at renewal. There wasn't a difference in the premium.
Old 20 May 2021, 07:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
The company I work for is about to issue new contracts which changes our place of work from our current office (which no longer exists) to home. A number of questions are coming out, but one is, are you able to claim mileage if you drive in to the new office if you ever have to go in? The company is saying no, but everything I read seems to suggest you can. Anything to do with HMRC is never simple, so reading various things online doesn't appear to give the answer. Direct experience appreciated.

Thanks
FWIW i have had home based contract for the last 12 years - i always claimed the stated company mileage for trips to the office(s) - and then the HMRC uplift for the difference

never had a problem

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 May 2021 at 08:00 PM.