Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody clever with facebook?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2021, 05:57 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Anybody clever with facebook?

first off i do not have a facebook account and i do not want one.
however there are many businesses i follow on facebook from local butchers etc to car tuners,its nice to read there updates but for the last week or so ive not been able to do it, i can literally go on about 2 or 3 different business pages then it says i must log in to continue. why is this? its most annoying
Old 15 March 2021, 06:29 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm like you (don't want an account) : I set up a fake email address and then set up a facebook profile with fake details ; I can now browse without being told to log in....

There may be other ways of doing it tho'??
Old 15 March 2021, 06:30 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

At a guess, either Facebook changed something that now requires you to log on to see the pages, or the owners of the pages themselves made their pages (semi-)private so only Facebook members (or followers of the page) can see it.

There's not much harm in having an account, they can only learn the things about you that you share with them, so if you don't share anything, then there is no problem! Create a fake account and add the businesses you want to follow!
Old 15 March 2021, 06:39 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
At a guess, either Facebook changed something that now requires you to log on to see the pages, or the owners of the pages themselves made their pages (semi-)private so only Facebook members (or followers of the page) can see it.

There's not much harm in having an account, they can only learn the things about you that you share with them, so if you don't share anything, then there is no problem! Create a fake account and add the businesses you want to follow!
whats weird is that i can view the pages but its like its on a timer or something
Old 15 March 2021, 07:44 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

I was like you mate and didn't see the point in joining Facebook , but after we had to close our local forum as everyone was using the Facebook side of things I ended up getting talked into setting myself up a account ,,, and I have to say that as long as you remember there will always be Facebook warriors to avoid it isnt that bad ,,, iv benefitted from joining as iv found parts iv wanted and met old friends iv not spoken to in many years

its easy to keep to yourself on there so id give it a try and you might enjoy it like I have ,, still cruise the forums aswell as Facebook will never compare to them really
Old 15 March 2021, 08:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yeah, they've locked it down. Same with instagram, can only view one or two things before it demands you to log in. C**ts

If you do setup an account, use a private browser otherwise the cookies follow you absolutely everywhere (it's probably a rogue cookie that's giving you the log in prompt). And never install the mobile app. And bear in mind its facial recognition is better than the CIA's.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 March 2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 15 March 2021, 11:06 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Yeah, they've locked it down. Same with instagram, can only view one or two things before it demands you to log in. C**ts

If you do setup an account, use a private browser otherwise the cookies follow you absolutely everywhere (it's probably a rogue cookie that's giving you the log in prompt). And never install the mobile app. And bear in mind its facial recognition is better than the CIA's.
They're already tracking your every move from Facebook links on other sites. Any site where you see a Facebook logo is a link to Facebook which will set a tracking cookie. The reality is you can't avoid they're tracking unless you only ever browser the web with private browsing our delete all cookies every session.
Old 16 March 2021, 05:04 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

is that the incognito mode on Google? I've just tried that but as soon as I try and view a Facebook page it asks me to accept cookies.
I'm no good with computers so exactly how do I set up a fake Facebook account,I don't want my name out there on facebook
Old 16 March 2021, 07:47 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by the shreksta
is that the incognito mode on Google? I've just tried that but as soon as I try and view a Facebook page it asks me to accept cookies.
I'm no good with computers so exactly how do I set up a fake Facebook account,I don't want my name out there on facebook
Yes, private browsing mode or incognito mode are the same thing. The browser also runs in what is known as a micro-kernel, a sort of virtual computer which is partitioned from the rest of your computer, so any malicious websites can only attack this micro-kernel and not your actual computer. They basically create a new user profile every time you start the browser and then delete it again when you close the browser, so the next time you start the browser and visit the same websites, they can't associate you as the same person from the last visit. Its a particularly useful feature for online shopping, especially for booking flights and holidays etc. where companies will see you searching for a particular item/destination over several days and then start inflating the prices to get you to "buy now" before the price goes up! In private browsing mode, you will always be asked to accept cookies when you visit a site because any previous setting from your last visit have been deleted, so just go ahead and click accept. Any saved logins you have for particular sites (e.g. Scoobynet) will of course also be deleted each time, so you will have to log in again each visit. I would recommend private browsing for sites you don't visit regularly or don't completely trust, but stick to normal browsing mode for more regular and trusted sites.

To create a facebook account (fake or real), you will need a valid email address. You may want to create a "fake" email address with a webmail provided such as Yahoo to keep it separate from your genuine email address. Go to facebook and click the create account and fill out your details using your email address and then you can fill the rest of the details with fake info. Once done, you'll get an email with a validation link, click on the link and your account will be validated and ready to use. You can then log on with your new facebook account, go to the pages of the businesses you want to follow and click on their "like" button, you will then start seeing their posts in your news feed.
Old 16 March 2021, 08:03 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I use facebook like you. You need to create an account, just make up the personal info location etc. I never logon with a laptop, just my phone and only use a browser (chrome) to look at facebook. Don't, do not install the app on your phone
Old 16 March 2021, 08:50 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Yes, private browsing mode or incognito mode are the same thing. The browser also runs in what is known as a micro-kernel, a sort of virtual computer which is partitioned from the rest of your computer, so any malicious websites can only attack this micro-kernel and not your actual computer. They basically create a new user profile every time you start the browser and then delete it again when you close the browser, so the next time you start the browser and visit the same websites, they can't associate you as the same person from the last visit. Its a particularly useful feature for online shopping, especially for booking flights and holidays etc. where companies will see you searching for a particular item/destination over several days and then start inflating the prices to get you to "buy now" before the price goes up! In private browsing mode, you will always be asked to accept cookies when you visit a site because any previous setting from your last visit have been deleted, so just go ahead and click accept. Any saved logins you have for particular sites (e.g. Scoobynet) will of course also be deleted each time, so you will have to log in again each visit. I would recommend private browsing for sites you don't visit regularly or don't completely trust, but stick to normal browsing mode for more regular and trusted sites.

To create a facebook account (fake or real), you will need a valid email address. You may want to create a "fake" email address with a webmail provided such as Yahoo to keep it separate from your genuine email address. Go to facebook and click the create account and fill out your details using your email address and then you can fill the rest of the details with fake info. Once done, you'll get an email with a validation link, click on the link and your account will be validated and ready to use. You can then log on with your new facebook account, go to the pages of the businesses you want to follow and click on their "like" button, you will then start seeing their posts in your news feed.
Surely I would have to give my name though and then that would be visible or do I give a fake name
Old 16 March 2021, 10:08 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Surely I would have to give my name though and then that would be visible or do I give a fake name
I have a fake name on facebook. You can try, but I think there is some form of authentication now when creating an account, so details need to look at least normal
Old 16 March 2021, 11:23 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
I have a fake name on facebook. You can try, but I think there is some form of authentication now when creating an account, so details need to look at least normal
You can use any name you like as long as its not for business. There used to be a requirement to use your real name but that was changed due to people identifying as a pineapple.
The following users liked this post:
Old 16 March 2021, 02:28 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JackClark
You can use any name you like as long as its not for business. There used to be a requirement to use your real name but that was changed due to people identifying as a pineapple.
You have to give a name, it's up to you if you use your real name, a nickname or a completely fake name! Many people in Germany register with their first name split in two, such as "Pe Ter" or "Clau Dia".

Facebook normally requires you to use your real name, however thanks to German privacy laws and a subsequent EU directive, Facebook can no longer insist that EU citizens use their real names! As I understand it, since 1st January UK Facebook accounts now come under the US T&C's rather than EU, however the previous EU privacy directive will most likely have been preserved in UK law and should therefore still be applicable for UK accounts.