Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Schools again!

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2020, 11:32 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Schools again!

Not sure if this is happening in other places, but our school seems to be more reliant on parents printing out reams and reams of stuff for the pupil's work.

Text books at school was easy, as the teacher would refer to it, or photocopy relevant articles and pass them around the class. Now, I'm given a link to print out the entire text book (more or less) for my daughter's work. I've gone through sets of cartridges like they are going out of fashion, and £30 a go is a bit much.

It just seems too easy for them to just attach a link and say 'print this off' - as apposed to 'print page 56-58'

And also the expectation from the school that i have access to a printer or computer for that matter

Rant over!!!!
Old 15 September 2020, 04:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
Not sure if this is happening in other places, but our school seems to be more reliant on parents printing out reams and reams of stuff for the pupil's work.

Text books at school was easy, as the teacher would refer to it, or photocopy relevant articles and pass them around the class. Now, I'm given a link to print out the entire text book (more or less) for my daughter's work. I've gone through sets of cartridges like they are going out of fashion, and £30 a go is a bit much.

It just seems too easy for them to just attach a link and say 'print this off' - as apposed to 'print page 56-58'

And also the expectation from the school that i have access to a printer or computer for that matter

Rant over!!!!
good excuse for them not to do their homework

but yeah i agree pretty crap, seems to be alot of companies are like that now with paperwork
Old 15 September 2020, 08:06 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Why cant they just view them on a device as a PDF?
Why do we need to waste paper on something most wont even glance at later.
Old 16 September 2020, 11:43 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I had this issue with my daughter - she attends a Sixth Form College - especially during lockdown they were sending through WorkBooks to revise & fill-in - 50 or 60 pages a throw... my daughter was getting very stressed about it as we had to re-order ink carts a few times when she couldn't print it immediately....
I actually said to her - its a bit presumtious to A) expect we have access to PC & Decent Printer, and B) the sheer cost to us to colour print that quantity of paper, what seemed like almost daily...
I can guarantee you there are students that have none of those things at home...
I will let them off as during lockdown it was a difficult situation all round - but I fully understand your point of view Felix.

Old 18 September 2020, 07:54 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.

Rant over!!!!
Cheeky sods! That's not right
Old 18 September 2020, 08:06 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Presumably black n white lazer printing not good enough ?

lot cheaper
Old 18 September 2020, 11:17 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Why do they need to print anything? and what do they do with it once printed?

Have modern schools not heard of editable PDFs or word docs where they email them to the kids, the kids fill them out and email them back.
I can't see any reason why anyone would need to print anything.

I was talking to a colleague in the USA the other day and he said their schools are doing the same thing where the kids pront reams and reams of crap then his wife has to drive the filled out printouts to the school once week.
He emailed the paperwork to the school once after they emailed it to his kids then the school contacted him asking why the kids had not submitted their work and he said he had sent it back and they asked how by fax or what? They were totally stumped when he said he hit the reply to sender on email and mailed it back, they said they were not setup to accept work by email.