Big Garden Birdwatch

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2020, 11:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Big Garden Birdwatch

Anyone doing it?

As much as I hate Chris Packham for him condoning of extremist activities and his orchestration of the banning on culling of invasive species, I do support the concern for loss of small native birds, partly thanks to UK’s excessive cat population (haven’t see a cat thread on here for a while ), but I digress....

Usually I see Pied wagtails, Goldfinches, woodpecker, Bluetits, a large flock of sparrows, some crows, magpies, kestrel, buzzards ....and a billion wood pigeons (nice one, Chris )

This weekend, what do I see...**** all!! Two magpies and that’s it, not even any wood pigeons FFS

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 January 2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 27 January 2020, 09:15 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Anyone doing it?

As much as I hate Chris Packham for him condoning of extremist activities and his orchestration of the banning on culling of invasive species, I do support the concern for loss of small native birds, partly thanks to UK’s excessive cat population (haven’t see a cat thread on here for a while ), but I digress....

Usually I see Pied wagtails, Goldfinches, woodpecker, Bluetits, a large flock of sparrows, some crows, magpies, kestrel, buzzards ....and a billion wood pigeons (nice one, Chris )

This weekend, what do I see...**** all!! Two magpies and that’s it, not even any wood pigeons FFS
He did a great program the other week finally asking the question about the human plague being the cause of climate change and if we want to fix it, we should stop sprogging! His rating just increased in my books
Old 27 January 2020, 09:37 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes that was slight surprise new tack , but I’m not sure he just likes the limelight really

maybe this new virus will wipe out few mill?
Old 27 January 2020, 01:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
He did a great program the other week finally asking the question about the human plague being the cause of climate change and if we want to fix it, we should stop sprogging! His rating just increased in my books

Its on my watch list...when I saw the clip about how he was concerned that our population was soon going to be 10billion and how will the earth support that, I thought exactly that. Finally an effort to highlight the core issue, Attenborough has mentioned it many times but it often seems to be glossed over as insignificant.
Old 27 January 2020, 02:44 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Its on my watch list...when I saw the clip about how he was concerned that our population was soon going to be 10billion and how will the earth support that, I thought exactly that. Finally an effort to highlight the core issue, Attenborough has mentioned it many times but it often seems to be glossed over as insignificant.
I can definitely recommend it, really well put together program and equally addressed the issue of the natural desire to have children and the economic dependence on population growth.
Old 27 January 2020, 04:42 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Europe and britian should be funding Africa so they are not so poor and reliant on producing large families for servival

instead of course the brexit and otherwise mantra is look after your own and stick up barriers
Old 27 January 2020, 06:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I can definitely recommend it, really well put together program and equally addressed the issue of the natural desire to have children and the economic dependence on population growth.
It sounds like it all harps back to my Human Geography A-Levels on population demographics and growth where predictions was a concern, and obsession with growth in order to avoid a top heavy population pyramid with more elders needing more young to provide.

That was way back in the early/mid 1990’s and STILL the world treats overpopulation as a taboo subject.

I probably should consider being part of the #childfree movement, although it’s not a political statement...I just enjoy some of the threads over on reddit r/childfree

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 January 2020 at 07:36 PM.