ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Kobe who?

I’ve never heard of him
Nobody in the family have heard of him
My friends don’t know who he is
Nor does anyone at work.

Yet it was headline news on the BBC, on every radio bulletin and front pages of the press!

No disrespect intended, and maybe I’m missing something more obvious to others, but I wonder why the UK media thought that a US basketball player was to be the more dominant headline over British affairs. I mean if say, Frank Lampard had died in similar tragic circumstances, would the US media reciprocate? I doubt it
Old 27 January 2020, 09:07 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

My son will be saddened by this news. He is a big fan of basketball. USA sports people are huge national stars and also have a big international following. Sad story with his daughter and others
Old 27 January 2020, 09:28 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Big money item

plus bit of cultural hero apparently

( neverheardofeither)
Old 27 January 2020, 10:01 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd heard the name but couldn't of picked him out in a lineup and wouldn't know what American only sport he played! News coverage does seem to be a bit disproportionate for someone who is pretty much unknown outside the US, particularly on the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz where the remembrance event wasn't attended by a single British politician!
Old 27 January 2020, 10:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I'd heard the name but couldn't of picked him out in a lineup and wouldn't know what American only sport he played! News coverage does seem to be a bit disproportionate for someone who is pretty much unknown outside the US, particularly on the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz where the remembrance event wasn't attended by a single British politician!
Well, the latter is more poignant in the shaping of what Europe is now....Seems our MPs and royals think ‘London is the place to be’ to pay their respects, bit pathetic really.
Old 28 January 2020, 08:45 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Tragic, but no more tragic than any other 40 something year old who dies in a crash with their child and friends, why make such a fuss? He hadn't won a Nobel prize, he just played basketball!

On a side note, a lot of famous / rich people seem to come a cropper in helicopters, maybe they should switch transport!

Old 28 January 2020, 08:58 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well the old joke that ‘Helicopters don’t fly, they beat the air into submission’ probably rings true.

I always seem to marvel at those XR protesters that hate jet aircraft/air travel, yet they pay little/no attention to the police helicopter hovering over them when these are the most inefficient and polluting forms of air transport, but hey ho that’s another subject.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 January 2020 at 08:59 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2020, 10:42 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldn't get into a helicopter if I was dying
first bertie fisher and his two children
then the mcrae disaster and now this dude
Very sad for me when I hear that young children have died
Old 28 January 2020, 12:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I’ve never heard of him
Nobody in the family have heard of him
My friends don’t know who he is
Nor does anyone at work.

Yet it was headline news on the BBC, on every radio bulletin and front pages of the press!

No disrespect intended, and maybe I’m missing something more obvious to others, but I wonder why the UK media thought that a US basketball player was to be the more dominant headline over British affairs. I mean if say, Frank Lampard had died in similar tragic circumstances, would the US media reciprocate? I doubt it
you had your head burried in the sand? lol in all seriousness like most subjects unless you know about it you wont know, he was a legend in the game.

untill that plane crash kill that footballer i had no idea who he was, but i freely admit i dont like football, so why should that be plastered all over the news .
Old 28 January 2020, 01:03 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
... USA sports people are huge national stars and also have a big international following. Sad story with his daughter and others
Very true. I don't even follow basketball but I have 4 x Kobe Bryant logo'd tops from Nike that I wear for exercise.

Just because S'netters don't know him doesn't diminish his international prominence.
Old 28 January 2020, 01:20 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had no idea who he was either.

I also don't understand why it was the headline on BBC news yesterday or why the idiot Sports presenter (Sally Nugent) was so broken by the news!

However, RIP to all those on board the Helicopter.
Old 28 January 2020, 05:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Tidgy
you had your head burried in the sand? lol in all seriousness like most subjects unless you know about it you wont know, he was a legend in the game.

untill that plane crash kill that footballer i had no idea who he was, but i freely admit i dont like football, so why should that be plastered all over the news .
Well I guess it is in the sand LOL, don’t follow any American sports (hate the US style of sports presentation on TV, which has now infected European sports), but I have heard of Michael Jordon on account of his name is plastered on anything Nike (I’m wearing a pair of Jordans now ) and erm, Space Jam .

Never heard of Sala either, but given Football is a UK national sport, he was on transfer to a UK club by a UK plane and pilot of dubious suitability, I can see why it was headline news.

Maybe just put it down to a slow news day.....I’ve caught the BBC amongst other UK news outlets doing direct copy and pastes of US reports, including the sensationalist prose and inaccurate terminology. Last time on the BBC was an airliner with a engine surge/flameout....The headline said “Engine explodes mid air”, when the video showed nothing of the sort...it spat out a few flames and popped a bit. I complained as did a load on PPRUNE, and they changed it....doubt any of the lazy hacks responsible saw any repercussions.
Old 28 January 2020, 08:02 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Until this week the only Kobe I had heard of is a city/area of Japan famous for it's beef.
Old 29 January 2020, 07:41 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd heard of him and knew what a big name he was, but almost entirely as a result of listening to US rock stations online, and the odd cultural reference in US films/TV.