Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2019, 04:54 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Talking Heavy Snow in UK

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47071846

UK weather: Severe warning as heavy snow hits

Further snow is forecast overnight into Friday, with 5-10cm (2-4in) expected in Wales and south west England.

In other parts of southern England, there could be 1-7cm (up to 3in) of snow.
Seriously, 10cm of snow is "Heavy"? Upto 10cm here is just a light scatter. You'd have to have 50cm overnight before you'd consider it a heavy snowfall!

No doubt there will be traffic chaos now and all the schools for some inexplicable reason will have to close!

When is the UK finally going to realise - snow happens! F***ing deal with it!
Old 31 January 2019, 05:01 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMWhere?

Seriously, 10cm of snow is "Heavy"? Upto 10cm here is just a light scatter. You'd have to have 50cm overnight before you'd consider it a heavy snowfall!

No doubt there will be traffic chaos now and all the schools for some inexplicable reason will have to close!

This is it, schools will shutdown, nursery schools will shutdown, the roads will be complete chaos, the trains might even have to stop - depending on what type of snow we get. Sometimes its the wrong kind of snow you see.
Airports will be fcuked too
Old 31 January 2019, 05:13 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

LOL Mr Brady, seems you have a bee in your bonnet about something
Old 31 January 2019, 05:27 PM
Dan_SCR_RA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atleast we aren't in the US

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47075143
Old 01 February 2019, 01:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The brexit / May panto taking a back seat for couple days to be replaced by this
Old 01 February 2019, 02:32 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I suppose it's what you are used to. People laugh at us because we have such disruption with 10cm of snow, but people in Yakutsk and Omyakon get -40 from November to March and just deal with it, so maybe they are laughing at the US!
Old 01 February 2019, 02:41 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it is funny how everyone is woefully under prepared every time snow hits about the same time every year....

and then complains about it like they've never seen snow in this country before.
Old 01 February 2019, 03:09 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ste333
it is funny how everyone is woefully under prepared every time snow hits about the same time every year....

and then complains about it like they've never seen snow in this country before.
That's exactly my point!

I can understand in places like Southern Italy or Spain where snow is really unexpected and somewhat of a freak weather phenomenon. But in the UK, snow and icy conditions in Winter are the norm, it happens every year and it should be unexpected to have a winter without any snow. A couple of centimeters of the white stuff and the country grinds to a halt and everyone makes out like its some freak snowstorm in Seville!

I really can't understand why winter tyres are not a requirement in the UK like most of central a Northern Europe.
(...roll on the standard excuses from people who've never driven with them, that they're not worth it for the couple of days snow and how with AWD you don't need them anyway, blah, blah!)
Old 01 February 2019, 03:29 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

well i drove past plenty of struggling lemons this morning on my Rainsports, including a hill that non-one else could get up!!

biggest issue with pukka 'winters' is that they are terrible in anything but icy // snow conditions in general and just turn both cars i have tried them on into understeering numbness..........

i do actually agree about 'winters' in general
Old 01 February 2019, 03:54 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stockcar
well i drove past plenty of struggling lemons this morning on my Rainsports, including a hill that non-one else could get up!!

biggest issue with pukka 'winters' is that they are terrible in anything but icy // snow conditions in general and just turn both cars i have tried them on into understeering numbness..........

i do actually agree about 'winters' in general
It depends which winter tyres you get. In general you need to run them in for about 100 miles, during which time they can be a bit understeery, but after they're run in I get zero understeer vs my summer tyres upto about 15°C. Between 15 and 20°C they can start to get a bit spongy and above 20°C then I'm really craving to get the summers back on. In the wet, the stopping power is awesome compared to summer tyres, especially in the Winter. Save may *** in December when some idiot didn't see me at a crossroads and crossed in front of me in drizzly conditions about 7°C and my tyres are getting on a bit now in their fourth Winter - there's no way I could have stopped in time even on new summers! The fact is, Winter tyres will perform better on all but a few days between early November and late March/early April in the UK.

When it comes to driving on Snow (which is surprisingly rare here unless I head into the mountains), I've never had a single problem. I carry snow chains in the boot over the winter, but upto now never needed to fit them although that is also down to AWD as friends following in front drive cars have had to stop and put on chains despite the winter tyres.

My last few sets have been Pirelli Sotto-Zeros and absolutely faultless! For my driving style, I love the way they handle! Tyre sizes are 235/45R17 with 245/40R18 in Summer. General rule is to drop and inch in wheel size and 10mm from the width, although for UK driving I would probably stick with the same sizes for Summer and Winter.
Old 01 February 2019, 05:25 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

We had about 2cm and every school closed.
it had pretty much all melted by 2pm but all of the parents had to either take a days holiday or find a baby sitter.
its pathetic
Old 01 February 2019, 05:28 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
We had about 2cm and every school closed.
it had pretty much all melted by 2pm but all of the parents had to either take a days holiday or find a baby sitter.
its pathetic
Even worse still is one childs school is closed and the others is open! And they're right next to each other.
Old 01 February 2019, 05:32 PM
wrx2005
BANNED

Hardly any but car still struggled to get up the hill near home.
may have to put some slabs in the boot
Old 01 February 2019, 05:54 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

All that money spent of technology to predict the weather and they get it so wrong. Where I live was forecast heavy and prolonged snowfall from 6pm last night. Got nothing more than the thinnest of dustings on the grass, nothing settled on roads or pavements/driveways etc. It's utterly pathetic
Old 01 February 2019, 07:18 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to invoice the schools for the day off, just like they'd make a charge if you took the kids out of school for a family holiday
Old 01 February 2019, 09:55 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

It was a joke from the time they started giving us the snowfall in cm not inches. So 3.9 inches.wow.lol

Mind you pics from over the pond of Niagara Falls were amazing
Old 02 February 2019, 07:22 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SWRTWannabe
Don't forget to invoice the schools for the day off, just like they'd make a charge if you took the kids out of school for a family holiday
this I would love to see honestly... just imagine if you could
Old 02 February 2019, 04:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Why are modern cars crap in snow?

I give you a modern ‘summer’ tyre at 6mm:

No sipes(worn away already), no cross-grooves, no M+S rating, useless. They won’t even handle damp, all you have is the circumferential grooves to handle aquaplaning. That’s ignoring the compound which hardens with age far more rapidly due to environmental laws preventing manufacturers using chemicals that keep the rubber from aging (hence why many modern tyres are junk within five years).

Now I give you the Pirelli P5 cinturato from the 1980’s:

Factory fit on Ferraris and Jaguars amongst other 150mph cars of the era...the Pilot Super Sport of its day, like its competitor the Dunlop Aquajet...it’s a tyre designed for our climate, you know, wet and damp...those little sipes actually act as pumps to suck water off the road and squeeze it out into the main grooves, literally drying the road, they are cut deep into the rubber unlike modern tyres that only cut them into the top 2-3mm and once gone just relies on the weight of the car to displace water into the grooves. Then you also have interlinking cross-grooves and a zig-zag circumferential pattern, whilst not optimal for snow, it does give some bite....these tyres were fitted to the Jag back when it was a daily driver and ventured out in all-weathers including snow, despite having a huge heavy engine at the front and RWD, it never got stuck. It didn’t need winter tyres.

These days, with most tyres being like the one in the first picture, it’s pretty obvious that you DO need winter tyres.
Old 02 February 2019, 08:44 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Why are modern cars crap in snow?

I give you a modern ‘summer’ tyre at 6mm:

No sipes(worn away already), no cross-grooves, no M+S rating, useless. They won’t even handle damp, all you have is the circumferential grooves to handle aquaplaning. That’s ignoring the compound which hardens with age far more rapidly due to environmental laws preventing manufacturers using chemicals that keep the rubber from aging (hence why many modern tyres are junk within five years).

Now I give you the Pirelli P5 cinturato from the 1980’s:

Factory fit on Ferraris and Jaguars amongst other 150mph cars of the era...the Pilot Super Sport of its day, like its competitor the Dunlop Aquajet...it’s a tyre designed for our climate, you know, wet and damp...those little sipes actually act as pumps to suck water off the road and squeeze it out into the main grooves, literally drying the road, they are cut deep into the rubber unlike modern tyres that only cut them into the top 2-3mm and once gone just relies on the weight of the car to displace water into the grooves. Then you also have interlinking cross-grooves and a zig-zag circumferential pattern, whilst not optimal for snow, it does give some bite....these tyres were fitted to the Jag back when it was a daily driver and ventured out in all-weathers including snow, despite having a huge heavy engine at the front and RWD, it never got stuck. It didn’t need winter tyres.

These days, with most tyres being like the one in the first picture, it’s pretty obvious that you DO need winter tyres.
Back in the day there were no summer or winter tyres. Tyres were designed to be used all year round which meant dealing with wet and cold conditions as well as working in the summer.

Modern tyres are no longer designed to be used all year round as essentially an all year tyre is a compromise - good in the summer and winter but not great in any season. Todays tyres are designed to be swapped with excellent summer tyres for use in the summer and excellent winter tyres for use in the winter.

In the end, there is no real reason to not swap tyres. Other than an initial outlay for a second set of rims, there are no real additional costs as you're not wearing out your summer tyres when the winters are fitted, you'll still get the same number of miles on a set of tyres, but the tyres will last twice as long as you're not running them for half the year.
Old 02 February 2019, 09:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In the end, there is no real reason to not swap tyres. Other than an initial outlay for a second set of rims, there are no real additional costs as you're not wearing out your summer tyres when the winters are fitted, you'll still get the same number of miles on a set of tyres, but the tyres will last twice as long as you're not running them for half the year.
There is a reason if you don’t do enough miles to wear them out: Five year shelf life.

The preservatives used in modern tyres are not up to the job. Hardened rubber doesn’t grip.

Stick ‘em on ebay before that happens