Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any window experts?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2018, 12:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Any window experts?

In specifics to thermal breaks in Aluminum windows.

I maybe expecting too much, so just wondering if it's a fault, corner cutting, or just something unavoidably inherent in the design/material.

Basically had new aluminium windows and doors on the rear of the house. Now the doors are fine, including the bifolds, bar a missing seal allowing draughts which was quickly fixed.

However the windows are a different story, the opening sections are ok, as are the vertical dividing sections between panes (opening and fixed), but the outer frames in contact with the brickwork, especially top and bottom is extremely cold to the touch. Especially in this weather, where these sections are stone cold and a good 10degrees colder than the rest of the frame.

I'm wondering if these sections of frame are missing insulation/thermal breaks. Or is it not possible to have these due to the structure needed to make a aluminum frame, or maybe a wall cavity closing issue?

It's not a major issue, more of a annoyance, especially the condensation, which inevitably will result in mould between the plaster and frame. I do intend to bring it up with the fitter when he comes round to resolve a window hinge that needs adjusting, so I would like to be better informed in order not to get fobbed off.

Ta
Old 18 March 2018, 04:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If my dad was still here, he could've helped. He started as a draftsman for Crittall's. Then became a sales rep for them, and various other companies, such as Solarglass, etc.

Not much good to you, I know.
Old 18 March 2018, 05:03 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top and bottom of the frames should have a thermal break and the outer frame section should have a foam type insulation around the window , this is visible before fitting as it is glued in between the frame section .
Old 19 March 2018, 12:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Cheers.

So as a blind guess, I think there must be either something missing or acting as a thermal conductor between the interior side and exterior side of the frame. Some windows are worse than others, which may suggest a construction or installation issue.

I think I'll borrow the laser thermometer from work to see how big the temperature difference is.
Old 19 March 2018, 08:44 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

If it’s direct fix and the wall is freezing the inside will still conduct the cold