Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another day off for the teachers!

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2018, 07:36 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another day off for the teachers!

School closed again due to "...health and safety issues for the teachers and children..."
Or they just fancied staying warm in bed for the day!

Its a shame we can't get time off work to look after our kids - oh well, more money paid out for emergency child care!
Old 28 February 2018, 07:59 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Both mine at home to due to exact same... also transport is run by council so they won’t come out neither been 2days little girl loves school...

I wonder how schools are run in places like snowy Moscow etc
Old 28 February 2018, 08:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Blame health and safety and/or litigation.
Head teachers hands tied
Old 28 February 2018, 08:48 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Blame a nice warm bed I suspect. Some schools were open yesterday in our area, so do different head teachers have different rules?
Old 28 February 2018, 08:57 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Lol my childrens school were emailing out saying they will probably be shut Thursday due to the forecast weather. Sounds like they are just planning a day off - we haven't got a single flake of snow here
Old 28 February 2018, 08:59 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Great isn't it - I wonder if I can plan the last week in July off due to the possible adverse weather!
Old 28 February 2018, 09:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I have never met a teacher that lived near where they worked. The ones that I know of that work in city areas all live out in the countryside.

Non are particularly good drivers either.

So maybe a good thing they aren't on the roads
Old 28 February 2018, 09:33 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Nothing a shovel and some elbow grease wouldn't solve
Old 28 February 2018, 10:46 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cars queueing to get into small school car-part all going nowhere.

We use a barrier system to allow taxis,minibuses,parents with permits to gain entry ,wheelchairs ect.

Parents will follow allowed traffic through to save them parking outside and having to walk in.

As it was maddness, i went out to help out one of the teachers stuck in the line of cars, (she is eight months pregnant) why bother get out of a nice warm bed and come to work (should have stayed at home), but no she comes in because she loves job/kids.

Tried as best i could to clear the chaos with very liitle support, much better to stand around, light a *** up, and watch the fun, standing around the grit box of coarse.

So after getting the permited parents cars in and there children safely into class.

Drove the scooby past all the selfish ones (who were still stuck), to get some road- salt to for next day.. as the grit-box which had been filled, was empty, persume the good citizens who live nearby needed it to clear there paths.

Today closed...........
Old 28 February 2018, 12:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you get to fine the school like they do if you keep the kids off?
Old 28 February 2018, 01:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Blame a nice warm bed I suspect. Some schools were open yesterday in our area, so do different head teachers have different rules?
Will depend on if staff can get in? If school a) staff all live close and school b) all come longer distance and get stuck on closed roads?

Surely even a copper can see that pupil/staff ratios might JUST be a problem with no staff? They ARE laid down by your oh-so-precious laws, after all....
Old 28 February 2018, 01:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
do you get to fine the school like they do if you keep the kids off?
You could always try?
Old 28 February 2018, 01:30 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a shame we can't get time off work to look after our kids - oh well, more money paid out for emergency child care!
I do 5 days a year paid for such occurrences i thought most big employers had this benefit?

Last edited by wilkoca; 28 February 2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 28 February 2018, 01:33 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Will depend on if staff can get in? If school a) staff all live close and school b) all come longer distance and get stuck on closed roads?

Surely even a copper can see that pupil/staff ratios might JUST be a problem with no staff? They ARE laid down by your oh-so-precious laws, after all....
Not my or police laws! And you can't seriously suggest that all teachers live out in the country? If they do, they must all be on a nice wage then.

How come every other profession is expected to come in to work? And I can't recall having schools closed due to snow when I was at school.

So, all the teachers have to do is phone in and say "I can't make it in today" and the response is - close the school!

Why don't the teachers just - set off a bit earlier?
Or why can't the school contact local supply teachers to cover? Why can't the headteachers step up and manage?

No - too easy to just close the school. Make the rest of us pay a fortune in emergency child cover.

We will end up with teachers doing the same in the summer when they fancy a bit of time off - Oh wait, they have the summer off anyway.
Old 28 February 2018, 01:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not my or police laws! And you can't seriously suggest that all teachers live out in the country? If they do, they must all be on a nice wage then.
The law of the land, my friend. Enforceable just like yours.
LOL, you assume that, because YOU live in a city, everyone does. My wife, for example, works 20 miles from our home, as do at least five of her staff. Since her school is in a small town, MOST of her staff come from villages and other twons nearby. And out in the wilds, who's clearing the roads? No-one.

How come every other profession is expected to come in to work? And I can't recall having schools closed due to snow when I was at school.
They aren't..have you not seen the train cancellations for the same reasons? And no, school closures are a recent thing due to, and I say it large for you since you don't seem to understand: HEALTH AND SAFETY AND LITIGATION!!!

So, all the teachers have to do is phone in and say "I can't make it in today" and the response is - close the school!
If isufficient can get there to staff safely, then yes, obviously. Or is your need for free childcare so great that you'd want them hurting themselves unsupervised?

Or why can't the school contact local supply teachers to cover? Why can't the headteachers step up and manage?
Many do. My wife was one a nd a half hours getting to her school this morning and I suspect she will be the same coming home tonite, only to repeat it tomorrow. But hey...free childcare, so who cares if people put their lives on the line?
Supply teachers? You're living in the past. It's agency staff now and no budget to pay them, even if they could get there. £200 a day? THEY don't get that, but that's what the school pays for an NQT.
Headtechers step up? what and supervise the whole school all day? That would be safe...not.

No - too easy to just close the school. Make the rest of us pay a fortune in emergency child cover.
I hate to burst your self-centred little bubble, but schools are not there to provide childcare.

We will end up with teachers doing the same in the summer when they fancy a bit of time off - Oh wait, they have the summer off anyway.
Ah...jealousy.
So go on then...apply to be ateacher.
You'd last five minutes bud.
First kid told you to F*ck off and you can't lock him up and have him fined, you'd be crying.

Last edited by alcazar; 28 February 2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 28 February 2018, 02:46 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Just had a text from local school is shut until Monday kids already climbing the walls how am i going to cope ?
Old 28 February 2018, 03:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Install a climbing wall? LOL
Old 28 February 2018, 04:51 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife is a teacher and has been for 10years. Was getting ready for work and received an email from the headmaster to say that the school will
be shut today. It’s not down to the teachers, it’s down to the headmaster to make the call, it’s all purely health and safety of the children and teachers etc etc and whether or not employees can make it into school. My wife works at a school with 1300 kids so can you imagine the carnage of running a school on skeleton staff ?. Last thing they wanna see is an accident or any other incident. This goes all the way back to when I was in school and I’m 37.
Old 28 February 2018, 04:53 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matty81
My wife is a teacher and has been for 10years. Was getting ready for work and received an email from the headmaster to say that the school will
be shut today. It’s not down to the teachers, it’s down to the headmaster to make the call, it’s all purely health and safety of the children and teachers etc etc and whether or not employees can make it into school. My wife works at a school with 1300 kids so can you imagine the carnage of running a school on skeleton staff ?. Last thing they wanna see is an accident or any other incident. This goes all the way back to when I was in school and I’m 37.
and for the record she’s marking a 100 school books today on her “day off”
Old 28 February 2018, 05:01 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

The law of the land, my friend. Enforceable just like yours.
LOL, you assume that, because YOU live in a city, everyone does. My wife, for example, works 20 miles from our home, as do at least five of her staff. Since her school is in a small town, MOST of her staff come from villages and other twons nearby. And out in the wilds, who's clearing the roads? No-one.
I don't live in a city and our roads are not gritted, yet myself and my wife can get into work and back - just set off earlier. Its not works fault that we have decided to live 20 miles away, that was our choice and we need to make the effort to get in.

They aren't..have you not seen the train cancellations for the same reasons? And no, school closures are a recent thing due to, and I say it large for you since you don't seem to understand: HEALTH AND SAFETY AND LITIGATION!!!
Ah, more than my jobs worth then. How come quite a few schools were open yesterday even with reduced staff? They staff numbers seem fine over Christmas when teachers are off (Christmas shopping no doubt) and the classes are doubled up in the hall. And don't bring health and safety into it - if the schools cared about health and safety they would open to ensure you don't get hoards of teenagers sledging down hills towards dangerous becks and rivers and knocking elderly folk all over the place.

If isufficient can get there to staff safely, then yes, obviously. Or is your need for free childcare so great that you'd want them hurting themselves unsupervised?
No, just a need for education which my taxes are paying for. Last year we were told not to take our youngest out of school one day earlier before the Easter break so we could go on holiday. We were told that one day off could be significant for her future. So how do they justify this closure for 2 days and possibly more - and what effect will that have on her education?

Many do. My wife was one a nd a half hours getting to her school this morning and I suspect she will be the same coming home tonite, only to repeat it tomorrow. But hey...free childcare, so who cares if people put their lives on the line?
Supply teachers? You're living in the past. It's agency staff now and no budget to pay them, even if they could get there. £200 a day? THEY don't get that, but that's what the school pays for an NQT.
Headtechers step up? what and supervise the whole school all day? That would be safe...not.
No, step up and manage. They need to use the agency staff then if needed and not put a price on education. Merge classes together, alter timetables to suite, handle risk and dynamical assess it to get a solution - that's why they are in that position. And our school should have a fortune due to the number of uniform changes it has. We have another one coming in after 2 years of the last. Complete change of uniform and sports kit (indoor and outdoor) for no reason. And yes, the only place you can go for to get the embroided badge charges about £20 a go for each item.

I hate to burst your self-centred little bubble, but schools are not there to provide childcare.
No, they to provide education which I struggle to see how they can do this when shut.

Ah...jealousy.
So go on then...apply to be ateacher.
You'd last five minutes bud.
First kid told you to F*ck off and you can't lock him up and have him fined, you'd be crying.
I'm not jealous at all and I enjoy the job i do at the moment thank you very much.
And I think you'll find that I probably deal with most of the kids you quote about without any need to lock them up in any case
Old 28 February 2018, 05:04 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

are you having a laugh ? I can remember being in primary school and my school shutting down to health and safety reasons and or teachers not being able to make it into work.

3 of my firms that I collect from are shut today due to adverse weather and my city centre train station cancelled 61 services into London due to weather today, so it’s not just a school thing.

having kids is a lifestyle choice and it was your decision to have them.
Old 28 February 2018, 05:06 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Just had a text from local school is shut until Monday kids already climbing the walls how am i going to cope ?
Yes, may as well just have the week off - why not a fortnight just to make sure all the snow has completely gone.

How can they predict that the teachers might struggle to get into work on Thursday or Friday.
Old 28 February 2018, 05:46 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

I,m i reading this right, you ARE professoial police officer right......let me explain the dangers of opening schools in said weather.

It is NOT teachers who are lazy baztards, you of all people should see the dangers, we are dealing with children some as young as 4 years old on the road with harassed parents driving to get their kids into school in adverse conditions.

Police go about how bad it can be knocking on doors reporting death/injury due to an RTA.

Well i sincerely hope you NEVER EVER have someone in your acquaintance hit by a car, driven by a mother in her slippers.....(believe me it happens) trying to drop her kid off right outside of the school doors because its icy & snowing a bit.

I can only assume you are the kind of PLOD spouting out crappp to fellow human beings about what they should or should not be doing, HANG ON YOU ARE......

PIZZ BOILING.......
Old 28 February 2018, 05:58 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ray54
I,m i reading this right, you ARE professoial police officer right......let me explain the dangers of opening schools in said weather.

It is NOT teachers who are lazy baztards, you of all people should see the dangers, we are dealing with children some as young as 4 years old on the road with harassed parents driving to get their kids into school in adverse conditions.

Police go about how bad it can be knocking on doors reporting death/injury due to an RTA.

Well i sincerely hope you NEVER EVER have someone in your acquaintance hit by a car, driven by a mother in her slippers.....(believe me it happens) trying to drop her kid off right outside of the school doors because its icy & snowing a bit.

I can only assume you are the kind of PLOD spouting out crappp to fellow human beings about what they should or should not be doing, HANG ON YOU ARE......

PIZZ BOILING.......
Ray, you summed up my thoughts exactly. Felix has shown just how small minded he is, I think he's in the wrong job with an attitude like that.
I know several bobbies and they are sound, unlike Flealicks lol
Old 28 February 2018, 06:58 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

The guy truly should not be committing on any public forum.

In a professional position as a police officer ,why does he continue to put himself across in a so unprofessional manner in some of his comments, (not painting a very good picture to his fellow colleagues).

Pack your bag fella , go do the the job you are so GOOD at, we will all sleep better at night.........may-be.

IF thats how you present yourself at work with others ?????.
Old 28 February 2018, 10:21 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Well my Son's secondary school has shut for Thursday and Friday and we haven't got a flake of snow still. it's an utter joke and lots of parents have complained. What the **** have they closed for? All you lot backing the teachers there is no excuse for my Son's school on the off chance we *might* get snow. How about they wait until the morning like all other schools and then decide. We could very well not get any, there hasn't been a flake here in the 4 years i've lived here as the New Forest is a snow free zone The forecast is for light snow at worst so hardly like it's been in Kent and other hard hit parts of the country. Just disgraceful.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 28 February 2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 28 February 2018, 10:31 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Quit your moaning
Old 28 February 2018, 10:51 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Well my Son's secondary school has shut for Thursday and Friday and we haven't got a flake of snow still. it's an utter joke and lots of parents have complained. What the **** have they closed for? All you lot backing the teachers there is no excuse for my Son's school on the off chance we *might* get snow. How about they wait until the morning like all other schools and then decide. We could very well not get any, there hasn't been a flake here in the 4 years i've lived here as the New Forest is a snow free zone The forecast is for light snow at worst so hardly like it's been in Kent and other hard hit parts of the country. Just disgraceful.
Have you phoned /called in /used facebook to find the reason why the head-teacher is closing the school?.

If no valid reason is given, take it up with the head/governors and complain.

Storm Amma might be reason?. or maybe there,re just lazy baztards.
Old 28 February 2018, 11:00 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

PIZZ BOILING.......
So, its got nothing to do with teachers not being able to make it in then. The schools are closed in case there is an accident due to parents driving in adverse conditions trying to drop their kids of at the door. So why don't the schools close in rainy weather?

And as the roads are snarled up with other people commuting to work in snowy conditions in an case, no one is doing any great speed on the roads.

Half the schools in our area were open on Tuesday and guess what - no accidents involving children at these locations. I guess pupils and parents are sensible in and around school.
Old 28 February 2018, 11:02 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

why does he continue to put himself across in a so unprofessional manner in some of his comments
Such as....?

Quick Reply: Another day off for the teachers!