Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sick to death of my job - fancy a change

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2018, 09:48 PM
b16jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick to death of my job - fancy a change

After working for a very well known airline for 18 years Im done with all the bull **** and red tape , and the constant cut in pay and fear of being outsourced or cast off to another department . I love the job and the guys I work with but I've had it

SO I'm now going to do a few smart repair courses and look at a career change, it really interested me and I no I'd enjoy it, I don't intend to pick it up over night so I intend on learning and practicing on my own cars and friends cars ( who own ****ters obviously ) with the intention of leaving my current job and try to work for myself

Anyone else feeling this way or even tried to enter the world of bodywork repairs ??

That's my rant over . Happy new year

Last edited by b16jonc; 04 January 2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04 January 2018, 09:58 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I’m similar to you mate. I’ve just done 13 years in the forces and got absolutely pi$$ed off with it, so left (like a worrying amount of blokes are at the moment. Currently doing my Level 3 in vehicle maintenance / repair at college and working as a mechanic when I’m not at college. Absolutely loving it. Best move I ever made. I miss the banter, because to be honest, civvie banter is $hit lol, but that’s it.

Last edited by Peedee; 04 January 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04 January 2018, 10:17 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Go for it fella.
Learning the new trade whilst employed is a good way to do it risk free.
Hope you take to it.
Old 04 January 2018, 10:24 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing worse than being in a job that you hate! Go for it mate, wish you the best of luck
Old 04 January 2018, 10:33 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

I am well and truly fed up with my job, hairy arsed old trucker.
At 62 too old to change career but I am looking to find a cushy local driving job.
37 years sleeping in a truck is enough I think.
Good luck to anyone taking the plunge and changing their careers.
Old 05 January 2018, 08:35 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a truck driver must be a very boring/lonely job, probably more lonely if sleeping in it
Old 05 January 2018, 08:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peedee
I’m similar to you mate. I’ve just done 13 years in the forces and got absolutely pi$$ed off with it, so left (like a worrying amount of blokes are at the moment. Currently doing my Level 3 in vehicle maintenance / repair at college and working as a mechanic when I’m not at college. Absolutely loving it. Best move I ever made. I miss the banter, because to be honest, civvie banter is $hit lol, but that’s it.
Not knocking your choices, but having been down that road myself, all be it 30yrs ago... I'd examine other options around the industry beyond being a bog standard mechanic... quite a few reasons for that statement, main ones being wage capping yourself for the rest of your working life... and always being covered in crap, which is fine every once and a while, but every day and that's before we get to the winter part of the story.

Don't get me wrong and I'm not having a dig, because I love working on cars, I'm just passing on advice given to me some 30yrs ago by a time served mechanic... I worked in the motor trade for over 20yrs but on the electrical side, which is much nicer and better paid.

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2018, 04:37 PM
b16jonc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement , only downside I may have to sell my version 2 to free up some extra capital but that'll be last resort really
Old 08 January 2018, 01:43 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Good for you.Sounds like things a very slowly coming around.Karma can be a very incremental process but sometimes it's better that way.It allows you time to re-focus & asses things on your own terms.

Don't let the bas*ards grind you down.
Old 08 January 2018, 06:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did my computer studies degree whilst working as a retail manager, soon as I passed I took the first job I could get. Turned out it was a call centre and I hated it, hated every second of it.

Dreading work is one of the most stressful, soul destroying things in this life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My only advice would be to find a new role before moving, as it's always easier to get a job when you have one.

I stuck it out and now 11 years later I'm (in my opinion) relatively successful, changed jobs internally about 7 times and more money each time, but that was driven from the start by hating my work.