Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sick to death of work

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2014, 09:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default sick to death of work

It's one of the most hectic times for work in the housing industry at the moment, I plaster houses for Persimmon homes and last Saturday I started a 5 bedroomed house which I completed today.

Thy put plumbers in the house today and joiners in the house on Friday.

I'm a 1 person team as in I work on my own and I'm due to start a similar sized house on Monday, I have been hassled that much in the house I have just completed that I have been starting at 7am and finishing at 4.30pm which is hard work in this light.

I'm going to be hassled so much in the next house as the laughable thing is I won't complete the house till the 15th of December and someone wants to be living in tis house for chrimbo

Just to add I don't just plaster the houses I do the boarding as well so I have 8 days to do a 9x9m bare shell house in winter time but they will want me to do it in 6

I'm just so sick of work roll on chrimbo Rant over
Old 06 December 2014, 09:20 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im being made redundant at xmas i cant bloody wait
Old 06 December 2014, 09:25 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
im being made redundant at xmas i cant bloody wait
Oh no full time forum stalking.
Old 06 December 2014, 09:27 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
It's one of the most hectic times for work in the housing industry at the moment, I plaster houses for Persimmon homes and last Saturday I started a 5 bedroomed house which I completed today.

I'm a 1 person team as in I work on my own and I'm due to start a similar sized house on Monday, I have been hassled that much in the house I have just completed that I have been starting at 7am and finishing at 4.30pm which is hard work in this light.

I'm going to be hassled so much in the next house as the laughable thing is I won't complete the house till the 15th of December and someone wants to be living in tis house for chrimbo

Just to add I don't just plaster the houses I do the boarding as well so I have 8 days to do a 9x9m bare shell house in winter time but they will want me to do it in 6

I'm the same but it's mostly the HSE side of it I'm sick to the back teeth off.
Old 06 December 2014, 09:29 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Just take a deep breath and be thankful that you have plenty of work....
Merry Christmas ....
Old 06 December 2014, 09:33 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Oh no full time forum stalking.
i used to do most of it at work anyway
Old 06 December 2014, 09:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75
Just take a deep breath and be thankful that you have plenty of work....
Merry Christmas ....

I will always have plenty of work due to the prices they pay and how quick I work.

Oops I forgot plus my standard of work

Two more weeks then I'm off for 17days
Old 06 December 2014, 09:39 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

i am working xmas eve then two days off.
Old 06 December 2014, 09:51 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I get hassled on site all year round not just at Xmas! I install lifts for a living and from the first day of installation i get asked when i can get the doors in because they can't finish the hall ways until they are.
Old 06 December 2014, 09:54 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I thought (forum) stalking was your work
Old 06 December 2014, 09:55 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

7-4.30....... 17 days off.......

I'm a heavy goods driver and doing 65hrs a week at the moment with 1 or 2 nights out, I can start at 4am and not get home till half 7-8 some days.

I get 2 days off for Xmas

Maybe I should look at retraining as a plasterer !

..... Lol

Siv
Old 06 December 2014, 09:55 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I thought (forum) stalking was your work
so did my work probably hence we have parted company
Old 06 December 2014, 09:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
I get hassled on site all year round not just at Xmas! I install lifts for a living and from the first day of installation i get asked when i can get the doors in because they can't finish the hall ways until they are.
Bit up an down I suppose
Old 06 December 2014, 09:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't start. I've got plenty of work, but the business makes no money. So many things wrong with the way the business is run, the overheads, the inter-family bickering etc. I'm not in charge so I just have to put up with it.

I could walk away tomorrow and go back to driving desks doing what I did before. But I get cabin fever working from home, even a few days off stuck in the house has me climbing the walls, the fact I feel trapped into having to deal with this house and everything thats wrong/needs doing to it is bad enough. I've actually got to a point now that I've nearly got to a point that if I spend anymore, I won't get it back if I sell up due to price ceiling on property value in this area.

I'm done with it. F**k it. Now I just want to flatten the place, level the ground and plonk a nice caravan on there with a big insulated shed for my cars and bikes.

The plastering is OK, but that's about it

(ignoring the studded wall where the shower leaked...insurance still in dispute - they'll only pay to re-tile one wall in non-matching tiles )

Steve - do you get on with plumbers? I think I've come to a conclusion that many of them seem to be a law onto their own or just plainly awkward if they can't have their own way (even when the plans clearly state how something should be done).

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 December 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06 December 2014, 10:03 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen

Yours is different to mine as you can take your time and its ok as you will be working on set times to each job.

I get this sort of grief as well but my complaint is I'm getting hassled for a house I haven't started as the people want to b in it for xmas and it will take me 8 days from Monday.

What will happen is the people will probably move in on the 24th December put their lights on and complain about the quality of the house but no matter who is at fault it is always the plaster or the painter that is at fault.

Houses are done in the dark at this time of the year as its dark all day so trying to turn out quality in pitch black is very hard add cold weather which makes slow setting plaster and I'm slower than in summer months
Old 06 December 2014, 10:10 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No surprise they're getting rid of you then.
Old 06 December 2014, 10:13 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Get yourselves jobs that you love. I used to be a dairy farmer working 80-90 hours a week and would go for months with no day off and didn't take any holidays for about 5 years but i would do ANYTHING to have it back.
Old 06 December 2014, 10:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
No surprise they're getting rid of you then.
im taking voluntary redundancy. going to spend it on a wrx and race for pink slips at santa pod
Old 06 December 2014, 10:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Steve - do you get on with plumbers? I think I've come to a conclusion that many of them seem to be a law onto their own or just plainly awkward if they can't have their own way (even when the plans clearly state how something should be done).

Plumbers who do work solely in the private trade are proper greedy *******, the people who work on the buildings have a respect for a true price and don't over charge.

The plumber who started my house today was a little peeved all the window walls weren't finished and all the bathrooms but when people are put in a house two days before you say you will be complete you have to decide which trade you can give the most work and I decided the joiners

A friend is a proper odd jobs man and he complained at me 3 years ago that people thought he was charging too much at £750 for changing a bathroom suite. I asked two proper plumbers on site what they would charge and was told £350 so my mate was taking the pee.

He also asks me for plastering advice so I know he is doing that, I haven't seen his work but from the time he has been doing it it can't be good.

In my experience of doing work in the private sector is you can make a right mess (not me) and they are ok but in a new build build house if there is a brush mark around a socket or a couple of scratches in the walls and the house is a disgrace!

The things I have saw people complain about is laughable and if it happened/does happen in the private sector they would just be ignored!
Old 06 December 2014, 10:40 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

11 more day then 3 weeks off!
Old 06 December 2014, 10:45 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I start around 7ish and home by 2-4pm happy days
My motto is, leave your work problems at work and when finished work change motto. Works for me well. I'm always happy.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 06 December 2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06 December 2014, 11:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Plumbers who do work solely in the private trade are proper greedy *******, the people who work on the buildings have a respect for a true price and don't over charge.

The plumber who started my house today was a little peeved all the window walls weren't finished and all the bathrooms but when people are put in a house two days before you say you will be complete you have to decide which trade you can give the most work and I decided the joiners

A friend is a proper odd jobs man and he complained at me 3 years ago that people thought he was charging too much at £750 for changing a bathroom suite. I asked two proper plumbers on site what they would charge and was told £350 so my mate was taking the pee.

He also asks me for plastering advice so I know he is doing that, I haven't seen his work but from the time he has been doing it it can't be good.

In my experience of doing work in the private sector is you can make a right mess (not me) and they are ok but in a new build build house if there is a brush mark around a socket or a couple of scratches in the walls and the house is a disgrace!

The things I have saw people complain about is laughable and if it happened/does happen in the private sector they would just be ignored!

You've got a good point here.

Basically I've got a new extension built, and on the whole the new bit is mostly OK - its all on plan and its new so should look and work like new, alot of my issues stem from how the new interfaces with the old and whats here before with people bodging on to it in a attempt to make it work.

My attitude is if its not right, rip it out and start again. I've said this all along, I can budget for it, as to me having it done, looking and working right trumps everything. Trying to get that mantra across though has been very hard work. Some seem to think if they can hind it behind the plaster or floors I won't notice; The problem is I do notice. If I were a site foreman I wouldn't get the brush off as I do as a home owner.

So obviously when I see new pipes being run on the surface with plans to box them in, of which with a bit of extra time and thinking actually don't even need to be there at all and could actually reduce the overall amount of plumbing. I'm immediately thinking corner cutting, bodging on a existing bodge. Its not wrong per-se, but given a clean sheet it wouldn't have been done like that.

Now I have a Pseudomonas risk in the drinking water from dead-leg pipes (and drinking water pipes being heated by adjacent heating pipes)....and the plumber is like "Pseudo-what?...just run the tap for a bit, it'll be OK"

At least I have a electrician on my wave length now, unfortunately he's the second one and he's had a right game putting things right as the first sparky got well out of his depth.....sadly the plaster had already been and gone before this was found out

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 December 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06 December 2014, 11:31 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Now I have a Pseudomonas risk in the drinking water from dead-leg pipes (and drinking water pipes being heated by adjacent heating pipes)....and the plumber is like "Pseudo-what?...just run the tap for a bit, it'll be OK"
What? The water infrastructure doesn't pipe fresh Evian through medical grade sterile pipes to your house anyway you know?
Old 06 December 2014, 11:52 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack it all in for life on the rock n roll. Cheap lidl lager and pot noodles 24/7. Living the dream !
Old 06 December 2014, 11:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
What? The water infrastructure doesn't pipe fresh Evian through medical grade sterile pipes to your house anyway you know?

OK, given this situation: Building works, stuff is moved, floors are up, ceilings are down pipes are exposed etc.

You have approx 4 metres of cold water pipe that is now redundant.

Do you

a) cap it off with it still connected to the mains supply all in situ and hide it away under floor and boxing it in up the walls. Leaving it pressurised and full of water to stagnate.

b) Locate and disconnect it where the Tee joins on the mains supply. Replace Tee with a straight joiner. Lave the disconnected pipes in situ still with the unnecessary boxing on a newly plastered wall.

c) Do as per b) and remove the unused pipe. No boxing required as the pipe isn't there.

I wanted c)....I got a)

Why would I want to make my water worse when I can avoid it? And why would I want boxed in pipework when it also can be avoided?

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 December 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07 December 2014, 12:34 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo

I'm a heavy goods driver and doing 65hrs
Gotta love POA
Old 07 December 2014, 03:24 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sivo

I'm a heavy goods driver and doing 65hrs a week at the moment with 1 or 2 nights out, I can start at 4am and not get home till half 7-8 some days.

I get 2 days off for Xmas

Maybe I should look at retraining as a plasterer !

..... Lol

Siv
Why only two days. Twelve more days and two weeks off,oh and I just laughed and walked out the office when asked,are you doing cpc christmas. :-)
Old 07 December 2014, 07:02 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Get yourselves jobs that you love. I used to be a dairy farmer working 80-90 hours a week and would go for months with no day off and didn't take any holidays for about 5 years but i would do ANYTHING to have it back.

No point crying over spilt milk.....
Old 07 December 2014, 07:12 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Steve, if you can single handed overboard and skim all the walls and ceilings in a small house in eight days I'm bloody impressed!

I wish I could find somebody who could work like that in London.

Sounds like you deserve your time off, enjoy it.
Old 07 December 2014, 09:00 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
No point crying over spilt milk.....
That's not the point, I'm saying that you only live once and you shouldn't waste it doing something that doesn't make you happy.

Quick Reply: sick to death of work