Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who's right of way ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2017, 05:12 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's right of way ?

I think I am right on this but wanted to throw it out there.

Scenario : I am driving down a road and there are parked cars on my side, meaning I have to pass these cars, safely, going on the opposite side of the road.
If its clear and safe and no other cars are coming down the road in the opposite direction then I can do this - no issue there.
If there are cars coming already I wait for them to go past of course - its 100% their right of way.
Halfway past the row of about 15 cars, a car decides to join the road from a side road on the right, so they likely look right, its clear, then go.
This then puts them in a head on situation with me......and someone has to reverse out the way or we will end up looking at each other all day !

My take is that traffic on a road has priority over traffic joining that road - and as such the car joining has to make sure its clear and safe to do so. That means looking BOTH ways when they pull lout of a junction and if they see a car passing parked cars, on "their' side of the road, then they wait until that car has passed before pulling out of the junction.

Is there an "official" line on this - or who would be liable if there was a collision / insurance claim ?

Cheers,

Ro.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:13 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'd have right of way, he didnt look end of.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:38 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

You have "right of way" in this situation
Old 04 December 2017, 05:48 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

As above.SJ.
Old 04 December 2017, 05:52 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

With you on this one...!
Old 04 December 2017, 06:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above. Look right AND left before joining a main road...what I was taught in Birmingham City centre 1974!.
Old 04 December 2017, 06:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
As above. Look right AND left before joining a main road...what I was taught in Birmingham City centre 1974!.

These days Brum city is a free for all; See a space in traffic and dive in regardless of who has right of way
Old 04 December 2017, 06:23 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Sorry to "hijack" the thread but it got me thinking of a scenario where I regularly see people do it wrong. I want to see what you all think though.

I've attached a picture, please excuse it it's the best that I could do

So as you can see both vehicles approach the roundabout/island at the same time, the vehicle to the bottom left is travelling straight through and the vehicle to the right and above is turning right......who has right of way?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2250.PNG
Views:	0
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	71306  

Last edited by Wull; 04 December 2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04 December 2017, 06:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Car at the top has right of way to the bottom; assuming he enters the roundabout and bothers to signal

Unless he just stops there looking gormless and doesn't enter the roundabout, then I call mob rule and go LoL.

Best one is when there are three cars and and two are turning right and one straight on. I go by the informal rule of who gets there first . Have quite a few round here like that and many drivers all stop and nobody moves as everyone has someone to the right that has right of way LOL.

Edit to add, some mini roundabouts have double broken lines on some entrances; this signifies the give way. Not all entrances to a mini roundabout have double broken lines, usually those are the main roads (single broken line) and therefore take priority to the side road with the double broken lines. More often than not the lines are that worn you cannot tell, or worse it's been marked wrong.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 December 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04 December 2017, 06:35 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Car at the top has right of way to the bottom; assuming he enters the roundabout and bothers to signal

Unless he just stops there looking gormless and doesn't enter the roundabout, then I call mob rule and go LoL.

Best one is when there are three cars and and two are turning right and one straight on. I go by the informal rule of who gets there first . Have quite a few round here like that and many drivers all stop and nobody moves as everyone has someone to the right that has right of way LOL.

Why does he have right of way? They both reach the roundabout at the same time.
Old 04 December 2017, 06:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Might explain what I added better: Junction on the left has to give way to traffic at the junction on the Bottom and Right.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 December 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04 December 2017, 06:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it in the highway code to put your indicator ( right obviously) on to go round a roundabout now ?

only ask since theres one near me and it causes hold ups since people do this , And then take the first exit , occasionally shoving the left indicator at the very last split second

just holds up oncoming traffic
Old 04 December 2017, 09:39 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Wull
Why does he have right of way? They both reach the roundabout at the same time.
Let's call the vehicle bottom left of roundabout car A and top right car B

Car B is turning right, and on a roundabout you give way to vehicles on your right. car A going straight on is not coming from his right hand side meaning car B doesn't need to stop to avoid a collision.
However, car A is going straight on and would have car B hit him from the right hand side if he didn't give way, meaning it would be car A's fault for causing the collision.
Old 05 December 2017, 11:33 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/roundabouts.html
186 explains which way to indicate, but broadly if you're taking the first exit, indicate left; if you're going all the way round or taking the last exit, indicate right; and if you're doing something in between, no need to indicate until just before your exit.
Old 05 December 2017, 11:41 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well I witness even on mini roundabout just up road here people putting right indictor on to take second exit which is plainly straight on , or would have been before someone decided mini roundabout would be great idea
Old 05 December 2017, 12:19 PM
Reinhold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Well I witness even on mini roundabout just up road here people putting right indictor on to take second exit which is plainly straight on , or would have been before someone decided mini roundabout would be great idea

MIni roundabouts are usually installed to change priorities at crossroads and T junctions, usually where these layouts cause a lot of hold-ups.
Old 05 December 2017, 02:09 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
I think I am right on this but wanted to throw it out there.

Scenario : I am driving down a road and there are parked cars on my side, meaning I have to pass these cars, safely, going on the opposite side of the road.
If its clear and safe and no other cars are coming down the road in the opposite direction then I can do this - no issue there.
If there are cars coming already I wait for them to go past of course - its 100% their right of way.
Halfway past the row of about 15 cars, a car decides to join the road from a side road on the right, so they likely look right, its clear, then go.
This then puts them in a head on situation with me......and someone has to reverse out the way or we will end up looking at each other all day !

My take is that traffic on a road has priority over traffic joining that road - and as such the car joining has to make sure its clear and safe to do so. That means looking BOTH ways when they pull lout of a junction and if they see a car passing parked cars, on "their' side of the road, then they wait until that car has passed before pulling out of the junction.

Is there an "official" line on this - or who would be liable if there was a collision / insurance claim ?

Cheers,

Ro.
I had something very similar happen to me yesterday, I met a man in an X1 who seemed to think it was his very own road.
Probably his attitude was because having purchased an X1, meant that life hadn't quite worked out as he'd hoped
Old 05 December 2017, 02:36 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Life is too short to argue. Back up really poorly and slowly if you want to score a 'superior' delaying victory
Old 05 December 2017, 03:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yep done that

Railway bridge up the road here , clearly marked whose priority ,single file

done it couple times The last was female TT driver didnt sense iota of apology, naturally, as i backed up 20 feet
Old 05 December 2017, 03:03 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, after being caught speeding recently, I had to go on a speed awareness course, which was actually quite interesting. The subject of "right of way" came up in the exercises and the general discussion.

It turns out (and I didn't know this), that unless there is a specific road sign saying you have right of way (.e.g Give way to oncoming traffic or You have priority over oncoming traffic at such things as speed restricting measures or permanent narrow places like bridges), there is no right of way.

You can only give it, not claim it, which in other words, it's all down to courtesy/manners/common sense.

Even in the highway code, there are few hard rules, they are guidelines. Specifically, joining another road, for example:

Rule 170

Take extra care at junctions. You should
•watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
•watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
•watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)
•watch out for horse riders who may take a different line on the road from that which you would expect
•not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure
•look all around before emerging. Do not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.

But, if there is a Give Way or a Stop sign, then that specifically mentions some legislation:

Rule 171

You MUST stop behind the line at a junction with a ‘Stop’ sign and a solid white line across the road. Wait for a safe gap in the traffic before you move off.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 16

Rule 172

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1),16(1) & 25

So depending on the junction, you either had right of way legally (well, inferred, they shouldn't have come out) or you did not and they were just a ***. Of course, it's interesting to consider how that situation would have been resolved by your insurance companies!
Old 05 December 2017, 03:28 PM
Reinhold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Well, after being caught speeding recently, I had to go on a speed awareness course, which was actually quite interesting. The subject of "right of way" came up in the exercises and the general discussion.

It turns out (and I didn't know this), that unless there is a specific road sign saying you have right of way (.e.g Give way to oncoming traffic or You have priority over oncoming traffic at such things as speed restricting measures or permanent narrow places like bridges), there is no right of way.

You can only give it, not claim it, which in other words, it's all down to courtesy/manners/common sense.

Even in the highway code, there are few hard rules, they are guidelines. Specifically, joining another road, for example:

Rule 170

Take extra care at junctions. You should
•watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
•watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
•watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)
•watch out for horse riders who may take a different line on the road from that which you would expect
•not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure
•look all around before emerging. Do not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.

But, if there is a Give Way or a Stop sign, then that specifically mentions some legislation:

Rule 171

You MUST stop behind the line at a junction with a ‘Stop’ sign and a solid white line across the road. Wait for a safe gap in the traffic before you move off.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 16

Rule 172

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1),16(1) & 25

So depending on the junction, you either had right of way legally (well, inferred, they shouldn't have come out) or you did not and they were just a ***. Of course, it's interesting to consider how that situation would have been resolved by your insurance companies!

The Highway Code says as follows:

Section 185
Section 185 explains what you should do when you reach the roundabout. Again it is important to be aware of the traffic around you and look out for road users who may be signalling incorrectly or in some cases not signalling at all!

When reaching a roundabout you should:
  • Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
  • Check if the road markings allow you to proceed without giving way (always look right before joining just in case)
  • Watch out for other road users on the roundabout
  • Check the traffic has moved off in front of you before you proceed to enter the roundabout
Old 05 December 2017, 06:30 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Section 185 is not covered by any legislation, though, it's still a guideline.

Everyone should go on the speed awareness course, it really does open your eyes, and not just about speeding. The amount of assumptions people make about road use is incredible (myself included).