Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My experience of learning to ride a Motorbike

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2017, 09:37 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My experience of learning to ride a Motorbike

Not sure if anyone here cares .. but I posted this to another forum and figured I'd share here..

Surprisingly I read quite a few articles and posts about learning to ride before I did and during for tips etc, so I figured why not return the favour and do one of my own. Hopefully someone reading this gets some comfort from it.

So step one is understanding what you need to do to get your license and which license you can have based on your age. Put simply, if you’re over 24 you can go straight through and ride anything, if you’re under 24 you still follow the same process, but are limited on the power (full details here https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/bike-categories-ages-and-licence-requirements)

Ok, this is all my opinion and my experience, what worked for me might not work for you, I’ve tried to break it down into manageable chunks ..

• Direct access course – I opted for the direct access, which was "never ridden a geared bike" to "full license" and I did it over about 2 weeks, slight delay waiting for test spaces. The place I did it with gave 24 hour’s worth of riding and included the cost of the Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests. Cost £650 which is higher than others, but the different types of lessons and long distance riding was well worth it.
I would strongly suggest you research the type of training the school gives before making up your mind. Also have a look at the test center you plan to use; I had Chester, which is all open roads and 70mph so having this as part of my course was a huge benefit.

• Clothes – commitment and safety. For me it was a no brainer, I decided I wanted to ride so I bought all the gear in one go, it was very expensive as I went for the higher end stuff, boots, pants, jacket, helmet, gloves set me back £900 .. The helmet was £390 of that, but I wanted the best I could afford. In contrast I bought my wife a full set for £100 second hand (I don’t recommend a second hand helmet though) Commitment wise if you turn up for your test in t-shirt and jeans the examiner is going to be looking for ways to fail you .. I would if I was testing you.

• CBT – So mixed opinions on this one, many people suggest getting a 125, doing your CBT and riding round for a few weeks/months, personally of the people I went out with, those without any prior experience were much better, (including me) because we literally did exactly what we were told, I also found people who had car licenses had a much better command of the road so maybe if you don't drive at all, practice would be better than nothing, but if you do, just get straight on with it. The CBT is pretty much a day of learning how to control a small bike, you do some offroad work, stops, starts, circles, etc and then you go out on the road for at least 2 hours. Once the instructor is happy he gives you your certificate, no test, but he can ask you to come back and try again if you’re unsafe.

• Theory – Not normally funded as part of your Direct access (only cheap), but something you need to pass before you do the Mod 1. Basically download the apps to your phone, (it’s worth paying for the good ones) and practice. The test is easy, the hazard bit is more tricky but only because (for me at least) it wasn’t obviously when and how to click. Read the instructions and the guides online too, helped me pass first time.

• MOD 1 – So once you’ve passed your theory you can book your Mod 1. The Mod 1 is all about bike control, most of which is slow speed. Four tips here, first make sure you learn on a bike with ABS, it’s so easy to skid on your back wheel, ABS removes that risk. Second shoulder check every time you move and before you turn, do your lifesaver. Keep your head on a swivel from the moment you get on your bike to the second you get off. Third get on You tube and watch people doing it, it takes the pressure off and lastly, if it’s not part of your course, book a session with an instructor and practice all the moves over and over. Because this is such an easy test the nerves tend to be high, it’s easy to forget a check or put a foot down and fail. Once you’ve done this and the theory, that’s the hard parts out the way. (if you want specific tips for each bit, let me know)

• MOD 2 – The easy bit, have you done a car test? Well it’s nothing like that. The examiner is just a sat nav in your ear watching how you ride. If you are safe, you pass. Get up to speed, keep an eye on all signs and follow the Highway Code to the letter. I got stuck in neutral twice and he only told me off for the delay it made in my progress, but I passed. He also told me off for not overtaking a car doing 45 in a 50. Aim to do the speed limit but stay safe and the way I looked at it, you pass if you’re safe, so no one wants to pass if they’re not.

That’s it, nothing else to it. Feel free to ask any questions whilst its fresh in my mind and hopefully someone will get something from this.

Oh, remember that passing the test means you know the basics, it;s the old cliche that you only start learning once you pass, but it's so true, be careful and don't ride like a dick.
Old 11 October 2017, 08:09 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I passed motorcycle test when all you had to do was sit on a bike . I had my bike test first, which prepared me no end to passing my car licence in pretty quick order.

My best piece of advice ride centrally to command road.
Observe a decent braking distance at all times. Don't trust any other road users to be safe towards you.

Last edited by andy97; 11 October 2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11 October 2017, 08:15 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

after reading his thread on BCF, I think he should write a book on how too make friends and influence people lol
Old 11 October 2017, 08:30 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
after reading his thread on BCF, I think he should write a book on how too make friends and influence people lol
Massive arseholes over there so far ...
Old 11 October 2017, 09:12 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Massive arseholes over there so far ...
Same as any forum tbh
Old 11 October 2017, 12:49 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97

My best piece of advice ride centrally to command road.
If by "ride centrally", you mean in the middle of your side of the road, just be aware that can be the slipperiest part. Its where all the road detritus gathers. Its where you'll get oil droplets, gravel, road salt in the winter, etc.

I would ride in whichever side wheel tracks gives me the best observation. I tend to stay clear of the middle third of my side of the road.
Old 11 October 2017, 01:48 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by scunnered
If by "ride centrally", you mean in the middle of your side of the road, just be aware that can be the slipperiest part. Its where all the road detritus gathers. Its where you'll get oil droplets, gravel, road salt in the winter, etc.

I would ride in whichever side wheel tracks gives me the best observation. I tend to stay clear of the middle third of my side of the road.
Should be more clear either track line of traffic. Ideally the outside track line, but not on the centre white line. This gives visibility forwards and backwards via mirrors. It stops vehicles from overtaking in inappropriate places. Staying in the inside line generally reduces visibility forwards, rearward and gives the rider nowhere to go if a sudden manoeuvre is required.

Salt what is that? The scourge of delicate motorcycle aluminium parts. Be a summer rider and have a decent bike for years

Last edited by andy97; 11 October 2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11 October 2017, 06:05 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Same as any forum tbh
yup ..

Seem to be accepting me now .. quite a few decent posters coming out .. so I take my comments back ..

I was surprised by the left of the line advice from my instructor on riding position to be honest.