Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me a good tablet - finally decided to ditch apple!

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2017, 11:52 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Recommend me a good tablet - finally decided to ditch apple!

As heading, I've finally had enough of my iPad after many loyal years, but enough is enough. I can't even surf basic pages now without it stalling, reloading or crashing! I've already ditched the iPhone too just to similar misery!

Looking for an alternative please.

Bought a Lenovo as they were on offer, but I'm not enhammered with it so it's gone to my son.

I'm informed that the ASUS Zenpad 3s 10 LTE are very good, has anyone any experience?

Cheers
Robert
Old 02 October 2017, 09:05 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

How old is your iPad and is it up to date? Mine's no spring chicken but runs like new, it's well accepted that you can't beat an iPad, you've already wasted money once.
Old 02 October 2017, 11:39 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Jack there must be some built in obsolescence , even Apple
Old 02 October 2017, 03:33 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Same for our iPads, run like dogs. However, in the tablet world, I'd say Apple still rule the roost, if was going to replace, I would probably get another iPad.

That said, my old Galaxy tab was virtually unuseable, but I read some articles on how to give it new life, and now it is the tablet I go to as it runs quickly.

It seemed much harder to do the same thing for the Apple tablets.

But still, if you have to buy new, get an iPad.
Old 02 October 2017, 04:16 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What iOS is the old iPad running Rob ?
Old 02 October 2017, 04:38 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response all.

I almost pressed the "buy" button on an "ASUS Zenpad 3s 10 LTE" last night, but one particular review site put me off.

I have an iPad 2, I think it is up to date, will check when home this afternoon.

My biggest gripe in no particular order is:

a) Switching between apps reloads that app, thus takes extra time you lose any new data in that app (for example, if your writing an email but click onto another app to refer to something, and then go back to the email, more often that not the page reloads - email is now blank arghhhh)
b) Page crashes and reloads for what appears to be no apparent reason. Newspaper or heavy data pages are the worse. Sometime the page just reloads, crashes, reloads, crashes........ until I switch it off.

c) Generally just slow, can write something and its as though the keys are working 5 seconds behind

Pisses me right off, hence why I want to throw in the towel with Apple. First my phone every two years or so, now ipads!!!
I feel better after that!

Robert.
Old 02 October 2017, 04:47 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ipad2 is 6+ year old tech. The web has moved on hugely from then with rich media .. The hardware simply cant keep up.

Had the same problem here with gfs galaxy tab2, worked fine for ages but recent facebook updates rendered it useless. Her iphone6 runs it fine. Its impossible for app developers to support ancient hardware.
Old 02 October 2017, 07:03 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Ah okay, so it's the modern interface of information that's made my perfectly fast and decent iPad, albeit now old tech, clunky and slow? It was never "slow", yes it's never been rapid, but now it is "slow".

Time for a change I feel.
Old 03 October 2017, 12:25 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You can still do lots of useful things on the iPad 2, mines still in use, great value for money so far, I’d get an iPad Air 2 second hand if the cost is an issue, it’s a massive upgrade, although I prefer the sound of the old one.
Old 03 October 2017, 04:33 AM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Ah okay, so it's the modern interface of information that's made my perfectly fast and decent iPad, albeit now old tech, clunky and slow? It was never "slow", yes it's never been rapid, but now it is "slow".

Time for a change I feel.
Couldn't agree more....and despite people on here saying it's because ipad2 is old tech, I have an ipad4 and it has just the same problems. Son has an ipad air - same. It started with a software upgrade, not a hardware failure.

I ditched my iphone a few months back and am really upset - should have done it ages ago. New one has better everything and epic battery life. Cost £240.

I have had Apple products since around 2000/2001. Started with a Cube (superb) and have had a few since (they used to last a long time). Macbook Pro? Bombproof, but recent software upgrades have reduced it to its knees.

Now, Apple are just the same as any other brand and even the software is no better than other brands. Apple quality dipped last time Steve Jobs left, but they brought him back and he sorted it. Not going to happen now
Old 03 October 2017, 08:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

People are always dumping 6 year old Apple products for brand new cheap ones and are surprised when it's better, brag here and slate Apple, then a year down the line are replacing the cheap tat.

It's funny.
Old 03 October 2017, 09:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Jus get a good sized phone and a laptop . Tablets have only ever been a fad
Old 03 October 2017, 09:17 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Crikey my original iPad2 was unusable 2 years ago - traded it for an iPad Air2 from CEX - this is great - night & day compared to the '2'.... it was all the successive 'one way' IOS updates that saw it off - it became unusable - even typing on it was beyond painful taking seconds for letters to appear.....
Old 03 October 2017, 11:44 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Crikey my original iPad2 was unusable 2 years ago - traded it for an iPad Air2 from CEX - this is great - night & day compared to the '2'.... it was all the successive 'one way' IOS updates that saw it off - it became unusable - even typing on it was beyond painful taking seconds for letters to appear.....
This is exactly my experience with our iPad 2 and iPad Mini. It's so bad it's unbelievable.
Old 03 October 2017, 12:11 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

anyone struggling since the latest IOS updates can roll back to previous ones,
Battery life with the latest IOS has been really hit.
Old 03 October 2017, 01:19 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

So what is the conscious here? All manufactures are crippled by the ever increasing demand on the hardware, as such any device has a shelf life of circa 6 years regardless of updates?

So that said, it doesn't matter what I buy next, apple included, the device will inevitably be subject to the doom of future technology rendering it useless in years to come, so I should look to buy anything that's running an up to date operating system and meets my requirements?

Also I have a great work spec phone, good work laptop, a decent personal laptop (daughter uses it most of the time) and a crap personal iPad. Whilst I feel the laptop has its place in my life, the tablet is great for the quick grab and go browing, banking, emails etc... or at least it was!
Old 03 October 2017, 03:10 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I have just replaced my ipad 2 for the same reason with the lpad Pro 10.5" and it simply is amazing and makes the ipad 2 feel like an antique. I got a deal off Very for 20% off and with a cashback site too got it for £466 which is a bargain compared to the Apple shop.

I don't know why you are complaining, a laptop/pc after 6 years is old and out of date and it's no different for tablets/phones. I accepted my ipad 2 had had it's day and I got my money's worth out of it. I expect the same from the Pro.
Old 03 October 2017, 03:25 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

You are probably all correct, I'm just of the opinion that the technology of kit would remain the same as time moves forward, therefore the ability of the kit is the same now as it was when purchased 4 years ago. However it would seem that the interface of other apps has rendered the hardware redundant.

What I am getting at: If my Ipad 2 was to run like it was when it was new, I wouldn't have a complaint. So even a full restore wont fix that, as there is nothing wrong with the hardware for the generation it was meant for, its just no longer any use in today's world

edit to add: A Commodore 64 in the 80's would have taken say 10 minutes to load a game and it would play how it was deigned to be played, if you had one today it would still take 10 minutes to load and play as it would have 30 years ago. However as soon as you go online with something, its no longer fit for purpose.

Last edited by Rob Day; 03 October 2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03 October 2017, 03:36 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

If you were still running the same version of ios and the same apps as when you got it then it would still run the same. However each year the software is developed and released for newer hardware so runs slower on the older hardware.

The C64 would still be running the same software the day it was released so it never slowed down.
Old 03 October 2017, 03:55 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Get yourself an iPad Air rob. Ipad’s Are still the best out there in the market.
Old 03 October 2017, 03:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Air 2 and up, still loads of life.
Old 03 October 2017, 04:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Rob Day
You are probably all correct, I'm just of the opinion that the technology of kit would remain the same as time moves forward, therefore the ability of the kit is the same now as it was when purchased 4 years ago. However it would seem that the interface of other apps has rendered the hardware redundant.

What I am getting at: If my Ipad 2 was to run like it was when it was new, I wouldn't have a complaint. So even a full restore wont fix that, as there is nothing wrong with the hardware for the generation it was meant for, its just no longer any use in today's world

edit to add: A Commodore 64 in the 80's would have taken say 10 minutes to load a game and it would play how it was deigned to be played, if you had one today it would still take 10 minutes to load and play as it would have 30 years ago. However as soon as you go online with something, its no longer fit for purpose.
If you'd stuck it in a cupboard unconnected to the internet and unable to enjoy the rich media that 6 years has brought us it would be the same too, you'd probably be infected in ten minutes flat if you took it online but hey!

I bought the top line iPad 2, it was £750 and I'm off in a few minutes to find out if I can get it going again, it's my mums only internet device. That's great value, but the initial investment is a choker.
Old 04 October 2017, 02:14 AM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
People are always dumping 6 year old Apple products for brand new cheap ones and are surprised when it's better, brag here and slate Apple, then a year down the line are replacing the cheap tat.

It's funny.
That is not correct and there is nothing funny about it.

My old iphone was not 6 years old, it was less than 3. It was worse than useless, as every time it was needed, it didn't work. Simply unacceptable for a business tool. Never used for social media etc. etc., so arguments about that slowing it down don't hold water.

The OP was asking for opinions on alternatives to Apple. If they come back good, what's the problem? You surely can't believe that only one company can make decent tech products??? That would not be the assertion of a rational person.

Don't get too hung up on brands or technology - life's too short.
Old 04 October 2017, 02:27 AM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Rob Day - I feel your frustration. Especially when I look back at how good Apple software used to be. Phone wise it's fairly easy. I have a Motorola for work and it does everything I need. Laptops are also fairly easy - buy cheap, use until slow, then bin.
Tablets are harder, as there are less players in the market. I would say ipad as the best of a bad bunch - BUT their recent software sucks.

It's not so much the applications (which I could understand, given the sheer numbers) but the basics like typing, switching apps, stability etc. and Safari as a web browser....really?? It's simply dreadful. Probably a large part of the problem, as it is resource hungry and hardly ever releases memory when running on a mac, so doubtless has similar issues on an ipad.

I have worked in the computer development industry for decades and software does go in cycles. Apple is poor at QA right now, so we are seeing all sorts of issues.

If history is correct, they will improve (have to), so I suspect your best choice is another ipad for now and every time a new version of s/w comes out - sit back and wait for others more eager and/or foolhardy to test it for you.

Good luck!
Old 04 October 2017, 08:51 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by poffer1
That is not correct and there is nothing funny about it.

My old iphone was not 6 years old, it was less than 3. It was worse than useless, as every time it was needed, it didn't work. Simply unacceptable for a business tool. Never used for social media etc. etc., so arguments about that slowing it down don't hold water.

The OP was asking for opinions on alternatives to Apple. If they come back good, what's the problem? You surely can't believe that only one company can make decent tech products??? That would not be the assertion of a rational person.

Don't get too hung up on brands or technology - life's too short.
I don't think I can avoid sounding like a **** to the haters but I can confidently say that if you're looking for an iPad alternative, get a iPad. I really like some Android based devices and some windows ones, but I won't have trouble getting even the Fandroids to say that Android tablets are disposable.
Old 04 October 2017, 08:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I have my old iPad 2 here with me, my Mum has trouble with passwords and had properly locked it bless her. Anyhow, had to restore the iPad then the iCloud back up, no hassle at home. Result, the iPad is slow, but only if you first do something new, for my Mum it's iPlayer, Facebook and Safari, it's perfectly usable for those three and background tasks so I'm happy.
Old 04 October 2017, 12:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like my policy of not doing any updates as turned out to be the right choice... Macbook Air... just coming up to 6 years... still as fast as the day I bought it and still does everything I need it to do.
Old 04 October 2017, 12:55 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone for the Asus z500m and well happy with it
https://www.asus.com/uk/Tablets/ASUS...d-3S-10-Z500M/
Old 06 October 2017, 01:39 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
You can still do lots of useful things on the iPad 2,.....
True, makes for a great chopping board for example.

Old 07 October 2017, 09:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Since the latest Apple iOS update my 6s has been Even worse at securing an mobile signal

It had been actually getting better