Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Northumbriam police paid rapist for testimony

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2017, 08:48 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northumbriam police paid rapist for testimony

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what are your thoughts on the morality and efficacy of this.
As reported widely in the news Northumbrian police have paid a convicted rapist £10000 for his part in supplying information to secure the conviction of a gang of 18 people involved in grooming, trafficking, sexual assault, and rape, as well as drug abuse and supply.
The police have come in for a fair bit of criticism for this, but I think it's money well spent.
Paying the convicted rapist won't change what he did in the past, but it has prevented a number of future crimes being perpetrated.
The only down side that I can see is that it may encourage unscrupulous criminals (is there any othe kind?) to try and obtain similar payments with fraudulent information.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10 August 2017, 09:05 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Sorry if this has already been covered, but what are your thoughts on the morality and efficacy of this.
As reported widely in the news Northumbrian police have paid a convicted rapist £10000 for his part in supplying information to secure the conviction of a gang of 18 people involved in grooming, trafficking, sexual assault, and rape, as well as drug abuse and supply.
The police have come in for a fair bit of criticism for this, but I think it's money well spent.
Paying the convicted rapist won't change what he did in the past, but it has prevented a number of future crimes being perpetrated.
The only down side that I can see is that it may encourage unscrupulous criminals (is there any othe kind?) to try and obtain similar payments with fraudulent information.

What are your thoughts?
I agree , he has served the punishment for the crime, does it sit right, no, but as you say it served a purpose,
If the informant(grass) had been a guy banned 10 times from driving, would we be less aggrieved by it ?

As to people taking advantage of this, I would assume there is no payment until it had been to court? I would again "assume" that once information had been given then the evidence would start to add up, proving the informants story ?
Old 10 August 2017, 09:22 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would also strongly advise the hapless victim(s) of this man's crime to sue him for the £10000 for mental/physical personal injury, seeing as how he's come into some money.
Old 10 August 2017, 09:50 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
I would also strongly advise the hapless victim(s) of this man's crime to sue him for the £10000 for mental/physical personal injury, seeing as how he's come into some money.
Fair point
Old 10 August 2017, 10:00 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The informant,a vile creature himself,hasn't been named and doubt he will be so would be difficult for his victim to sue.
10k has hopefully got 18 of these vile scumbags off the streets and behind bars(should throw away the key!)
So imo it's a small price to pay.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:05 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
The informant,a vile creature himself,hasn't been named and doubt he will be so would be difficult for his victim to sue.
10k has hopefully got 18 of these vile scumbags off the streets and behind bars(should throw away the key!)
So imo it's a small price to pay.
Would the rapist's identity be known to his victims given that he's been convicted at trial, and they would necessarily be involved? I don't know if this would be the case, just asking.
But I agree about losing the key. Personally I'd burn the lot of them and save the tax payer a bunch of money to pay the next informant.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
My advice too.

From a pragmatic perspective, what would it have cost in both time and money/man hours had both the police and CPS investigated and prosecuted via more traditional means?

Legally speaking the cost of convicting 18 people is pretty high; Especially if the tax payer has to pay the legal costs for the defence as well. £556 per person to secure a solid conviction could be seen as a bargain, albeit a somewhat immoral one.
Old 10 August 2017, 07:03 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
My advice too.

From a pragmatic perspective, what would it have cost in both time and money/man hours had both the police and CPS investigated and prosecuted via more traditional means?

Legally speaking the cost of convicting 18 people is pretty high; Especially if the tax payer has to pay the legal costs for the defence as well. £556 per person to secure a solid conviction could be seen as a bargain, albeit a somewhat immoral one.
and to add as a added bonus he won't be able to claim benefits for a while either, until he has spent most of the money. because if he is on the sex offenders registar you can bet your bottom dollar he is unemployed
Old 10 August 2017, 07:12 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by madscoob
and to add as a added bonus he won't be able to claim benefits for a while either, until he has spent most of the money. because if he is on the sex offenders registar you can bet your bottom dollar he is unemployed
He's a Taxi driver.
If he had any remorse then he would of grassed the 18 sikkos up without any payment!
Chop their ***** off and gouge their eyes out if it was upto me!!!
Old 11 August 2017, 07:47 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think the cops should have had a quiet word with the right people in MI5/MI6 as they might well have access to more "robust" interview techniques and have extracted the truth for free. Or perhaps know people outside the UK who would be happy to help.

David
Old 12 August 2017, 08:03 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I think the cops should have had a quiet word with the right people in MI5/MI6 as they might well have access to more "robust" interview techniques and have extracted the truth for free. Or perhaps know people outside the UK who would be happy to help.

David
You mean torture to get information. I think that went out with Hitler - he didn't seem too popular in the end.
Old 12 August 2017, 08:18 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
You mean torture to get information. I think that went out with Hitler - he didn't seem too popular in the end.
Some watch too much 24 with Jack getting answers, I guess flying the informant out of the country to a country that does allow torture would have cost more,

Also from what I gather they didnt give the informant a lump sum of 10k, this figure seems to be for expenses and the like over a few years as well.
Old 12 August 2017, 09:33 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
He's a Taxi driver.
If he had any remorse then he would of grassed the 18 sikkos up without any payment!
Chop their ***** off and gouge their eyes out if it was upto me!!!
how the fvck has he managed to keep a hackney licence ? being in a job where he could meet children, if he is on the offenders registar the local council should not have allowed him to keep his licence, as for the chopping i have a better idea, chain them by the **** n ***** to the inside of a slowly filling water tank and give them a stanley knife
Old 29 August 2017, 01:23 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

i didn't know there was any money in it..?