1966 splitty EJ20 classic turbo

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2017, 09:47 PM
Donkeyfruit
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 splitty EJ20 classic turbo

Hi Everyone, sorry very new to forums!
I've read this a lot and the advise has always been gr8.
I've converted my RHD splitty camper to 5speed subaru gear box, EJ20 turbo engine in standard trim. (I'll try and attach a picture or two).
The reason for my post is i have had to replace my engine....long story but I have ended up with 2003 heads on a classic block(no big deal) but now ive swapped everything she only runs on 1 & 3 cylinder. I've done all of the usual things, coil packs, compression, timing and I believe I've got the wrong cam gears? 1 I'm looking for a set of 2001-2005 (I hope that's correct and 2 a little advise to make sure I get the correct diagnosis.
Thanks in advance
Old 24 July 2017, 09:56 PM
Donkeyfruit
Scooby Newbie

Old 24 July 2017, 10:11 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Donkeyfruit
Hi Everyone, sorry very new to forums!
I've read this a lot and the advise has always been gr8.
I've converted my RHD splitty camper to 5speed subaru gear box, EJ20 turbo engine in standard trim. (I'll try and attach a picture or two).
The reason for my post is i have had to replace my engine....long story but I have ended up with 2003 heads on a classic block(no big deal) but now ive swapped everything she only runs on 1 & 3 cylinder. I've done all of the usual things, coil packs, compression, timing and I believe I've got the wrong cam gears? 1 I'm looking for a set of 2001-2005 (I hope that's correct and 2 a little advise to make sure I get the correct diagnosis.
Thanks in advance
The cam gears shouldn't be an issue, as far as I know they are the same on non avcs motors.
Have you got the coil pack plugs and injector plugs the correct way round as it's possible to get them wrong if not carefull.

​​​​​​Just in case, with the coil packs the black plug goes to the back coil white to front.

The injector plugs are identical to eachother so try swapping if the coils are right.
Old 24 July 2017, 10:21 PM
Donkeyfruit
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply,
Yes I've check the injectors and buzzed it all back to the ECU, i had to adjust the loom so the first thing that i thought was it was a wiring fault on my part but all has been checked about 50 times now.
The old engine ran really well with the same wiring/inlet,turbo,fuel pump. I had contamination in the oil from the heat exchanger and the mains/big ends went. the plugs are wet, I've done the new age coil pack upgrade, checked spark etc. I've even swapped the ECU with another just incase. MOT and registration test is meant to be next week but this might stop that
The only thing i know for certain is the new heads are 2002, good compression on all cylinder, oil pressure, fuel rail pressure. any ideas are welcome.
Old 24 July 2017, 10:37 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Ok so if plugs are wet and it's got compression the only thing left is spark.

So all 4 plugs are sparking, is there any chance you could have 2+4 coil plugs the wrong way around, still giving spark but at the wrong time?

The same would apply to the injectors aswell, still injecting just not at the right time
Old 24 July 2017, 10:46 PM
Donkeyfruit
Scooby Newbie

Could be, i have checked that once, have got four more coils coming to check the coil packs not earthing down when its in the cylinder head.
while it is running if i unplug 2 and 4 the rough ideal doesn't change, so that does point to coil pack/spark. I've had the coils out of the engine while its running and there is good spark on both, I've swapped them into 1 and 3 as well with no difference.
Old 25 July 2017, 06:30 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

iv got a VW T25 running a 02 Subaru turbo engine ,, what year is the loom from as you said about the heads being from a 2002 and having to change the engine but not what you started with ,, could it be the crank pully needs to be from the current set up ,, i.e. classic and newage are different so if the looms classic you need a classic crank and cam pullys ,, newage loom needs newage crank and cam pulleys ,, might have checked this but thought id better ask

its early, I should of just looked at the pic lol ,, looks like you have a classic engine so its needs to have the correct cam and crank pulleys as classic and newage are different and will give off different signals , so you prob need to swap cam pulleys to classic ones or to match what loom you have if its not classic like it looks like

Last edited by domino46; 25 July 2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 25 July 2017, 11:31 AM
Donkeyfruit
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replay.
Yes loom is early and the old engine was running well but now I've got 2002 heads, I think I need the cam sprockets to match the cams??
I'm hoping someone has had the same problem.
Scott
Old 25 July 2017, 12:33 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

The cam pulleys on a new age (2001-2005) engine are black and don't look like the ones in the picture so it would appear you have classic pulleys?