Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sign of the Times - Harry Styles

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2017, 08:18 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sign of the Times - Harry Styles

I think it's very good. Anyone else heard it?
Old 16 April 2017, 08:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I want to hate it, but its not that bad

I like it even more over the fact it failed to reach no.1 and lost a shed load of revenue last weekend due to Spotify crashing. Which means its popularity now its actually had airplay is because people like the song and not those downloading it just because of who sung it.
Old 16 April 2017, 09:04 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

"I want to hate it, but its not that bad.."

Plus 1 on that..
Old 16 April 2017, 09:48 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

So so. Mind you,Sign of the times bought the Belle Stars back to mind,youth club discos and woodpecker cider making me ill.lol
Old 16 April 2017, 09:59 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

The song (verse and chorus) is just 3 chords repeated over and over again.............

Talk about repetitive......................
Old 16 April 2017, 09:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

First solo ( not even original) and he's all ready totally loaded

these people steal a living if you ask me
Old 17 April 2017, 07:53 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Harry who ?
Old 17 April 2017, 09:25 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Utter rubbish!
Old 17 April 2017, 09:47 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
The song (verse and chorus) is just 3 chords repeated over and over again.............

There is some irksome repition, unfortunately, and it's about a minute too long. Otherwise, a good effort and I think he has a cracking voice and one of which I've never really taken notice.
Old 17 April 2017, 10:01 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I want to hate it, but its not that bad
I have exactly the same issue with Ed Sheeran Galway Girl is an absolute cracker of a song
Old 17 April 2017, 11:08 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
I have exactly the same issue with Ed Sheeran Galway Girl is an absolute cracker of a song
he clearly has no understanding of the women of Galway - crazy specimens, every last one of them!
Old 17 April 2017, 11:14 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Ed Sheeran is one of the few people who taps in to the violent, mammalian part of my brain. I think he's probably a nice, talented bloke, but for some unseen reason the whole thing gets tucked firmly under my skin. I listen to Radio 2 in the mornings and if Sheeran's on (which is close to an absolute certainty) I actually switch off lest his lyrics cause me to commit an atrocious act of road rage on an unsuspecting and entirely undeserving roaduser. Shameful.
Old 17 April 2017, 11:34 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

So Ed's a no from you JT. lol

Trying not to go OT, think I only hear Ed Sheeran on the radio nowadays. Anyone else in the charts?
Old 17 April 2017, 11:49 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Utter rubbish!
Yes, music choice is, and even other choices are subjective, and other biases also come in a way. For me, 'Harry Styles' name alone winds me up by itself, but when I heard the song concerned, it sounded good. I just had to imagine that it was some other random singer singing, not Harry Styles.

I prefer Ed Sheehan to Harry Styles. My spontaneous image of Ed is always him standing alongside the two royal brothers. I know where it's coming from: ginger hair and placid, nicely-nicey personality.

Originally Posted by Fabioso

So was Nirvana's 'Come as you are' was. Repetition isn't the issue, as long as it is gratifying.

People reserve their right to shytify some music, to be fair. Even Bob Geldof called Sting's music shyte, so hey! :

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainme...SBO9?li=AA5a2k

Old 17 April 2017, 11:54 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1

Trying not to go OT, think I only hear Ed Sheeran on the radio nowadays. Anyone else in the charts?

Even 8 year olds know Ed Sheehan and pretend to be a hopeless romantic like him. The cocky little sh7ts that fancy their teachers of their mother's age want to be like Harry Styles.

Even though, the song mentioned here by Harry Styles isn't bad at all. Not to my ears, anyway.
Old 17 April 2017, 12:58 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
So was Nirvana's 'Come as you are' was. Repetition isn't the issue, as long as it is gratifying.

The whole of Nevermind was written using 3 chords Kurt Cobain was many things, just a shame a talented guitarist wasn't one of them.

Originally Posted by lozgti1

Not really now, the week Divide was released he managed to get the entire album (16 songs iirc) into the top 20 and he's had the number 1 spot ever since.
Old 17 April 2017, 01:09 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Given the abortion that him and his prior group mates (they don't deserve to be called a band by the way) made of One Way or Another / Teenage Kicks, I can't bring myself to listen to any of them and am unlikely to for the rest of my natural...
Old 17 April 2017, 01:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

The whole of Nevermind was written using 3 chords Kurt Cobain was many things, just a shame a talented guitarist wasn't one of them.
My #14 unconsciously repeated 'was' for sod all! That was ugly, not gratifying at all! Going to bang my head against the door now!

Kurt Cobain was so beautiful as well! Even the adolescents of this day and age know him, and want to be as talented and as good looking as he was! shame is when some of the musician types 'in a band' with long hair start to do drugs and womanising as well, and think that they are Kurt Cobain's reincarnation. That's just not on.

Not really now, the week Divide was released he managed to get the entire album (16 songs iirc) into the top 20 and he's had the number 1 spot ever since.
Yes, Sheeran is sheer talent. Loves his red wine.
Old 17 April 2017, 01:53 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My whole family loves The Shape of You.....including me
Old 17 April 2017, 02:24 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Ed Sheeran love him or hate him writes his own songs, performs them without too much backing and seems to me to be a genuinely nice chap.
Harry Styles is irrelevant, his new song would have been written by someone else so nothing other than a performer like Robbie Williams, kylie etc, no substance to them at all.
There will always be puppets like Styles but legends are thin on the ground, that's why reunions have become a thing.
I genuinely think Ed is a legend of modern times.
I changed my mind about him when I saw him perform at the brits a couple of years ago. Playing live and using recorded loops as his backing whilst singing is incredibly difficult.
Old 17 April 2017, 02:32 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Edd Sherran is talent but he ain't no Noel Gallagher that's for sure
Old 17 April 2017, 03:10 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
I genuinely think Ed is a legend of modern times.
I changed my mind about him when I saw him perform at the brits a couple of years ago. Playing live and using recorded loops as his backing whilst singing is incredibly difficult.
Funnily enough that's what sold me. I was a bit meh about him until I saw a program on Sky that followed him through 3 nights at Wembley for his "Multiply" tour. By all accounts a really rather impressive artist.
Old 17 April 2017, 06:59 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Edd Sherran is talent but he ain't no Noel Gallagher that's for sure

No. Ed is very talented both in writing and playing but realistically Noel is on another level when it comes to writing.
I think unless you're an Oasis fan you can't get past the Liam is a ***** facade.
Songs like Wonderwall, live forever etc are what people think Oasis was but in my experience most oasis fans fell in love with unrealeased album tracks or the B sides.

About a year ago now on a FB site some news popped up about Liam. Everyone, obviously of a younger generation, slagged him off etc etc.
But one bloke commented 'it doesn't matter if it's outta tune cos you're cool'. Hundreds of oasis fans instantly replied having heard one off the cuff remark from a b side album released 20 years ago. That summed up being an oasis fan for me, like it's our little secret.
Old 17 April 2017, 07:01 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough that's what sold me. I was a bit meh about him until I saw a program on Sky that followed him through 3 nights at Wembley for his "Multiply" tour. By all accounts a really rather impressive artist.
He's certainly got some talent and some bollocks to stand alone rather than have 20 dancers on a massive stage. Although I like his songs they don't take my breath away and I admire anyone that's put a large chunk of their life into being creative.
Old 17 April 2017, 07:28 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Noel is writing better then ever
If I had a gun , dying of the light , death of you and me , some of the best songs he'd ever written
Old 18 April 2017, 12:50 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

If I had a gun , dying of the light , death of you and me , some of the best songs he'd ever written
I preferred it when he stuck to TV, House Party and Deal or No Deal!
Old 18 April 2017, 10:13 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kwik

No. Ed is very talented both in writing and playing but realistically Noel is on another level when it comes to writing.
I think unless you're an Oasis fan you can't get past the Liam is a ***** facade.
Songs like Wonderwall, live forever etc are what people think Oasis was but in my experience most oasis fans fell in love with unrealeased album tracks or the B sides.

About a year ago now on a FB site some news popped up about Liam. Everyone, obviously of a younger generation, slagged him off etc etc.
But one bloke commented 'it doesn't matter if it's outta tune cos you're cool'. Hundreds of oasis fans instantly replied having heard one off the cuff remark from a b side album released 20 years ago. That summed up being an oasis fan for me, like it's our little secret.

I haven't met many famous people but was in a pub many years ago when Liam and his entourage wandered in. They really were as nice as pie and ever so polite. Liam apologised to me for blocking my view of the band that was playing and promptly moved.

I have to admit I was rather shocked by his (good) behaviour given what I had read in the paper.

Btw, Harry Stiles has been given a role by Christopher Nolan in his upcoming film Dunkirk!
Old 18 April 2017, 01:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Pity he, or his production team are tone deaf. The audio compression on the High Flying Birds album is even worse than What's the Story!!
Old 18 April 2017, 03:17 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Pity he, or his production team are tone deaf. The audio compression on the High Flying Birds album is even worse than What's the Story!!
I wasn't a fan of the HFB album, but listening lately to an acoustic version of 'if I had a gun' has proven to me that Noel's still got it. It's as classic as talk tonight, sad song, don't go away etc. Very simple but beautiful.

https://youtu.be/fURwXIqWk7Y
Old 19 April 2017, 09:54 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot

Yes, Sheeran is sheer talent. Loves his red wine.
Yes, even if he does look like a muppet.