Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home insurance reviews

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2016, 12:05 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home insurance reviews

Is there anywhere to find good home insurance reviews?

I have tried googling and using websites such as this, http://http://www.reviewcentre.com/products298.html but all I find are masses of reviews from people who have simply taken out insurance and never claimed. I am more interested in claim experiences but cant find anywhere that offers data showing the ratio of claims honoured, which to be honest is what counts.
Old 28 November 2016, 12:14 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You need to look into the policy wording and whether they offer like for like replacements or the value of cash alternatives. Providing you have been honest with your quote, there shouldn't be an issue.

Cover is based upon property value. Are you concerned about buildings or contents cover?
Old 28 November 2016, 01:22 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a while to chose after having a nightmare situation with direct line they were awful got a different answer everytime I phoned, I'm with the post office now on there top policy which seems to cover everything but I've never had to claim with them
Old 28 November 2016, 01:38 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
You need to look into the policy wording and whether they offer like for like replacements or the value of cash alternatives. Providing you have been honest with your quote, there shouldn't be an issue.

Cover is based upon property value. Are you concerned about buildings or contents cover?

Correction - buildings cover is based on rebuild value not market value.

Contents will either be bedroom rated or via the customer input.
Old 28 November 2016, 06:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sorry can't offer comment of claim experience except for minor matter with L&V who paid in full. But their annual premiums got silly so I switched to Hastings who seemed to offer e very friendly and efficient service. Lots of choices on options starting at around £120 but I took several extras and premium circa £200 with £1m buildings cover and £75k contents, accidental damage, new for old etc. david
Old 29 November 2016, 03:16 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Its the wriggling out of claims that I am concerned about. Some of the reviews I have read have been pretty bad. My sister in law had an issue over Legal and General refusing a claim over an innocent technicality that they exploited to the full. Finally settled with the ombudsman who were extremely damning of L&G. Its this sort of practice I am hoping to avoid. LV have a reasonable reputation and a good quote.
Old 29 November 2016, 08:30 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If you do need any help with home insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 29 November 2016, 09:28 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I look after my mums affairs in this regard, and for convenience insured her 3 bed semi on a tesco buildings and contents policy for 7 consecutive years. Her home was burgled about 3 years ago while she was at church, robbing ******* took jewellery, cash and diazepam pills.

I cant fault the service from Tesco - claim was handled quickly, with no attempt to dishonour paying out. As is standard practice I obtained replacement values from a jeweller Tesco appointed their loss adjuster to negotiate a settlement, which worked out at 66% of the valuation from which they deducted the excess; the policy also gave the option of like for like replacement, I just thought it wouldn't work as a charm bracelet from the 1950's was likely to be replaced with pandora beads or something stupid, so we opted for a cash settlement. I think the total amount paid out by Tesco was around £16K + the cost of repairing the damage caused during the break in. Cheque arrived within about 2 weeks, process from start to finish was about 6 weeks.

At the point of renewal there was a modest increase about 20% applied, which I negotiated them down on, as more than were offering a more competitivie price for the same level of cover also with the claim declared.

Can't fault Tesco in this case.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 29 November 2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 30 November 2016, 10:57 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

These guys are pretty good..... www.starlaneinsurance.co.uk
Old 30 November 2016, 02:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi,
If you do need any help with home insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Just out of interest if you wanted to insure your home what paperwork do you need?
Old 30 November 2016, 04:23 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Just out of interest if you wanted to insure your home what paperwork do you need?
Hi,

In general, we don’t require any paperwork. However, each quotation/policy is case specific, so depends on the answers you give to the questions. For example, if the property has a thatch roof then we require a thatch questionnaire to be filled in. Or if the property has had previous subsidence we may need a structural engineers report etc.

The best thing to do if you are unsure would be to speak to our household insurance team. If you wanted to PM me I'd be happy to arrange a quotation for you.

Kind Regards
Dan
Old 30 November 2016, 09:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi,

In general, we don’t require any paperwork. However, each quotation/policy is case specific, so depends on the answers you give to the questions. For example, if the property has a thatch roof then we require a thatch questionnaire to be filled in. Or if the property has had previous subsidence we may need a structural engineers report etc.

The best thing to do if you are unsure would be to speak to our household insurance team. If you wanted to PM me I'd be happy to arrange a quotation for you.

Kind Regards
Dan
Thx. May do in the near future.
Old 30 November 2016, 11:17 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I have two weeks to work out who to go with. Good to hear tesco offered such a good service. I've been with nationwide for around 5 years and made one claim on a macbook. They replaced with no hassle which is why I stayed with them, but their quotes have got a bit steep recently.
Old 02 December 2016, 11:50 AM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Have you tried the price comparison websites they normally can undercut brokers if the risk is standard?
Stick with a household name you'll be fine.