Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving House - Moving Phone?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2016, 06:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving House - Moving Phone?

I am moving in next couple of weeks from Wiltshire to Avon. I currently have a landline which Plusnet manage for phone and internet use. I also have a cheap mobile and if I don't answer landline calls are diverted through to mobile.

So I phoned PlusNet (40 min wait ) and said I would be moving but couldn't confirm exact date. I said I wanted a smooth transition and arrangements made so that calls to my current landline were routed to a new landline or my mobile. PlusNet said this couldn't be done and my current number would just disappear.

So I then phoned BT (who actually own PlusNet but have no input) and put the same suggestion to them. They said that it was possible to set up a divert facility to a new number and there was even a chance that they could transfer my existing number to Avon even if it was a different code area.

One problem is that I have a contract with PlusNet so they might make a fuss if I tried to cancel. But if they can't do the job??

So what has been your experience in a similar move scenario or anyone understand these things as I don't

Thanks, David
Old 21 November 2016, 07:07 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Wink

We have recently moved house, from one county to another. Old landline was with BT and we paid for 3 months of "call divert". When people rang the old number they were told that it had changed and were being diverted to the new one. Calls came through OK, no issues. People who bought our old house were given a new number by BT and we had a new number given for the new place.
Cheers
Brian.
Old 21 November 2016, 07:45 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbl
We have recently moved house, from one county to another. Old landline was with BT and we paid for 3 months of "call divert". When people rang the old number they were told that it had changed and were being diverted to the new one. Calls came through OK, no issues. People who bought our old house were given a new number by BT and we had a new number given for the new place.
Cheers
Brian.

Thanks Brian, that's what I thought was possible so I don't know why PlusNet can't do exactly the same. Useless buggers - more time waiting when I call them. Cheers pal, David
Old 23 November 2016, 01:50 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Grrr...

Bought a place and it has a number I want to keep. Fair enough. Rang the PO (with whom the owners have the contract) and explained that I wanted to have a new account and keep the existing number from the time I moved in. They said that I had to get the new owners to agree to a transfer of ownership and to write a letter saying so. I did and they did, 1st class recorded express etc. I gave them a couple of days and rang again. No record of the letter and they could only do something when both parties were on the line?! HTF will that happen when I am in London and they are 200 miles away?! They couldn't guarantee that I would keep the same number if the owners finished their contract and I started a new one. The present owners tried to cancel and they had to wait 3 weeks, so a week after I moved in before it would be cancelled?!
Thought nuts to the PO and rang BT. Spoke to a woman, explained situation and she said that I could get a new connection and if number different, request a change to old (if not used which unlikely) and there we go. Fine. It required an engineer to come out. Huh? There is a line, it will be disconnected at the exchange, just reconnect it surely? No, needs engineer. OK, arranged it but then the woman says it'll be £65 connection. What?! Its free on the internet, so stopped call with her and did it on internet.
Day for engineer came and he didn't. Live chat next day with my confirmation number. Bloke where ever told me that the order hadn't gone through, despite my confirmation. OK, so lets re-arrange. You have to apply again - I can get someone to call you or internet link. Nuts to BT now.
Back to Post Office. New line please (now I know what to do about the number). Of course. Can I have it the day the other one ceases? No, 2 weeks cooling off period (so 2 weeks without phone). WTF?! I managed to get them to waive a week of the cooling off period after some ranting, so now, its allegedly starting tomorrow.
A complete and utter fiasco. Nothing should be simpler than moving house and getting service on the day you move, either with an existing or even a new number. I originally enquired 4 weeks before completion and now I'm over 3 weeks after and no line yet...
Old 23 November 2016, 04:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

About 19 years ago, I took my same phone number from house to house, when I had to move a lot. I still have the same number in this place that I have been residing in, for past 19 years. Every time I moved, BT charged me something like £35-40 flat rate every time to let me keep that number, that's all. Mind you, I stayed in the same county.
Old 23 November 2016, 04:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Basically, my BT phone number has been like my privatised number plate to my car.

Note: I don't have a privatised/personalised number plate for my car. I'm not a pikey. (© Jeremy Clarkson)
Old 23 November 2016, 08:40 PM
nozzavtr
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's odd, when I moved 3 miles from a SE London postcode to a Kent postcode, I was told that I couldn't keep my old number and had to have a new number, I just accepted it and have a new number. Good old BT!
Old 23 November 2016, 10:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nozzavtr
That's odd, when I moved 3 miles from a SE London postcode to a Kent postcode, I was told that I couldn't keep my old number and had to have a new number, I just accepted it and have a new number. Good old BT!
The following link says that your telephone exchange has to the same one:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...-move-house%3F

What's p7$$ing me off is that I actually moved within 1 mile area of my village, and the BT robbers charged me for letting me keep my number every time I moved! According to this link, they don't charge whatsoever for letting you keep the same number, if the telephone exchange is the same one. Of course it was the same one, in my case!

Perhaps BT charged for this service then, but not any more.