Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'Just Giving' Page For Hurricane Matthew

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2016, 10:53 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 'Just Giving' Page For Hurricane Matthew

I've seen a few links on FB for just giving raising money for the suvivors of hurricane Matthew

I wonder how much the people of Haiti donated to help the people in England that have been made homeless due to floods?

England is a tiny country and cannot give all it's money away to save the world!

Most of the money raised will go towards company cars and pensions of the staff in the companies that are providing the 'help'. If the companies and staff wnat to help the victims so much, why don't they give up their company cars/expenses/pensions?
Old 07 October 2016, 11:07 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I say charity starts at home, for me it finishes there too as my kids are a pair of charity cases...
Old 07 October 2016, 11:16 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I say charity starts at home, for me it finishes there too as my kids are a pair of charity cases...
Old 07 October 2016, 11:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not been on farcebook myself , cos it just appears me about promoting your egotistical self
Old 08 October 2016, 12:34 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
I've seen a few links on FB for just giving raising money for the suvivors of hurricane Matthew

I wonder how much the people of Haiti donated to help the people in England that have been made homeless due to floods?

England is a tiny country and cannot give all it's money away to save the world!

Most of the money raised will go towards company cars and pensions of the staff in the companies that are providing the 'help'. If the companies and staff wnat to help the victims so much, why don't they give up their company cars/expenses/pensions?

Absolutely correct - why should we give a monkey's f,uck about 800 foreigners killed whilst living in misery since the 2010 earthquake? And they must be so wealthy (as one of the poorest nations on earth) so sod them for not paying for a few new carpets for our very own flood victims. Yes we are such a tiny country and only the 5th largest economy in the world so who the hell do they think they are?

Most of the major agencies ensure that nearly all funds donated get to where it is needed.

================

Originally Posted by JonMc

Yeah let's joke about it But be careful as your kids might grow up as selfish as you seem to be. Self, self, self - that's not the answer.

=====

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 08 October 2016 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Death toll number corrected
Old 08 October 2016, 12:50 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave

Thanks for posting this. It prompted me to donate.
If those are genuinely your views, then I really do feel sorry for you.

Actually I think you're on the wind up

Last edited by Martin2005; 08 October 2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08 October 2016, 07:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Charity is an option its not mandatory.

If you feel you want to donate for whatever reason, go ahead

If you don't want to, for whatever reason, don't.

You should not be bullied or harassed to give or not give. Nor should you Harrass those that do or don't (Bob Geldof take note).

And why does the majority think that giving money solves the issue? Time and man power are of equal, if not greater importance.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 October 2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08 October 2016, 08:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Out of interest, why are they so poor?
Old 08 October 2016, 08:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://faculty.webster.edu/corbetre/...er/whypoor.htm
Old 09 October 2016, 12:16 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good write-up, Duncan.

The author also offers a link to People to People/ The Haiti Project and claims that 100% of the donation received by that goes directly to the needy in the field. That link doesn't seem to work. DEC Appeals are the most satisfactory ones; in terms of channeling the maximum of the donations to the cause:

https://dechelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...tions-Gift-Aid
Old 09 October 2016, 12:47 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Charity is an option its not mandatory.

If you feel you want to donate for whatever reason, go ahead

If you don't want to, for whatever reason, don't.

You should not be bullied or harassed to give or not give. Nor should you Harrass those that do or don't (Bob Geldof take note).

And why does the majority think that giving money solves the issue? Time and man power are of equal, if not greater importance.
Good post.

Some give due to their genuine compassion, some give to look good in the society. Some beg others to give because they're genuinely devoted to the cause, some do so because they want to look compassionate in the society. Some constantly beg and harass.

Some just hate any donation appeal because they feel that they themselves are a charity case (which is fine; self-awareness isn't a bad thing), and some channel their funds to their chosen causes only. They don't donate to every race for life; just to please people and to look good among others..

International charities in developed countries are set on the principle that their country's economy is far more stronger, and therefore, they can bail out poor countries in their disaster-struck times. Not everyone can donate his/her time and human power to the cause, so the money he/she would donate can go towards someone else, who may be able to donate his/her time and human power to the cause. This person may be lacking in money to mobilise his/her efforts. Your donation can potentially enable that. I support this thought, but I do not support anyone being harassed to donate.

Last edited by Turbohot; 09 October 2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10 October 2016, 12:26 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Good post.

Some give due to their genuine compassion, some give to look good in the society. Some beg others to give because they're genuinely devoted to the cause, some do so because they want to look compassionate in the society. Some constantly beg and harass.

Some just hate any donation appeal because they feel that they themselves are a charity case (which is fine; self-awareness isn't a bad thing), and some channel their funds to their chosen causes only. They don't donate to every race for life; just to please people and to look good among others..

International charities in developed countries are set on the principle that their country's economy is far more stronger, and therefore, they can bail out poor countries in their disaster-struck times. Not everyone can donate his/her time and human power to the cause, so the money he/she would donate can go towards someone else, who may be able to donate his/her time and human power to the cause. This person may be lacking in money to mobilise his/her efforts. Your donation can potentially enable that. I support this thought, but I do not support anyone being harassed to donate.

Why is it a "good post"? You're just stating the obvious. We all know that charity is a personal choice and bullying people to donate is wrong. My own objections to some earlier comments were the misrepresentations of the facts about Haiti.

A more plausible anti-giving argument is that HMG use our taxes to help out so why should we pay more.

Personally I found Geldof's emotional rant a bit OTT but it did save lives even if it wasn't perfectly handled. And I did have the option of switching off but am not allowed to punch a street chugger.

FWIW, David
Old 10 October 2016, 10:50 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Why is it a "good post"? You're just stating the obvious. We all know that charity is a personal choice and bullying people to donate is wrong. My own objections to some earlier comments were the misrepresentations of the facts about Haiti.

A more plausible anti-giving argument is that HMG use our taxes to help out so why should we pay more.

Personally I found Geldof's emotional rant a bit OTT but it did save lives even if it wasn't perfectly handled. And I did have the option of switching off but am not allowed to punch a street chugger.

FWIW, David
Good morning, David.

I find Al's post a 'good post' because his post was distinct on this thread with his objection on the harassment by the donation raisers. He doesn't slate the fund raising for any cause, but objects on the harassment by the fund raisers. I think I reserve a right to identify a post as a 'good post' in my opinion, don't you think?

I believe my last paragraph is aligned with your sentiments on the topic? Finding Al's post good because it doesn't poo-poo this donation raising tradition but objects on the way it's sometimes practised was no way any criticism of your sentiments. Well, unless you say that people should be harassed for donating money to the causes.

Regarding Bob Geldof's rant, I'm not bothered about it. But looking back at it, yes, donation raisers shouldn't be harassed either; unless they're shoving the humanity down your throat.

Humanity is a personal personality trait, which most of us do possess, and pro activating it is one's personal choice; dependant on varied reasons..Apologies for stating the obvious again.