Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can someone explain

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2016, 09:38 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Can someone explain

Why has snet has gone down hill ? this place use to be great and we all had a laugh? Now i look every now and then and it's just well dull
Old 04 October 2016, 09:41 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing lasts forever.

It's in its death throes - it needs to be put down.
Old 04 October 2016, 10:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

For me, I vacate contributing when someone starts spouting vitriol in my direction.

Not against the rules per-se but these types of people completely ruin any chance of balanced discussion so those who do want to discuss go elsewhere. Hence the death of NSR.

SN general. Well the cars are not what they once were, so very few people are buying new ones. The old cars get older, break, get scrapped, or fall into the ownership of those more interested in bragging on FB than on here.

On the bright side; Sales section is still doing well
Old 05 October 2016, 08:39 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The golden age of Subaru was the mid to late 90s into early 00s. When I got my new and only Impreza turbo in 97, people would stare in the street when they saw it. There was a thriving modifying community which documented their work on here and business contributed. My Impreza has long gone. The Subaru brand has pretty much died away in the UK. Tuners and businesses have left this site. I only look when bored and nothing better to read. My browser removes all advertising as it just swamps you. Only a matter of time I'm afraid
Old 05 October 2016, 09:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
For me, I vacate contributing when someone starts spouting vitriol in my direction.

Not against the rules per-se but these types of people completely ruin any chance of balanced discussion so those who do want to discuss go elsewhere. Hence the death of NSR.

SN general. Well the cars are not what they once were, so very few people are buying new ones. The old cars get older, break, get scrapped, or fall into the ownership of those more interested in bragging on FB than on here.

On the bright side; Sales section is still doing well
This^^^ In a nutshell
Old 05 October 2016, 12:38 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nah, it was when we got moaned at for trying to organise Counter-Strike matches in the computer section, so we set up our own site

(that site is long gone, but we had a right crack for 18 months)
Old 05 October 2016, 01:20 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Nothing wrong with the site, it's just you lot who've become old and boring
Old 05 October 2016, 01:59 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Nothing wrong with the site, it's just you lot who've become old and boring
Oh without a shadow!

lol

Last edited by joz8968; 05 October 2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05 October 2016, 03:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The banter was certainly better years ago. Maybe the characters who once entertained have either moved to other forums, or just stopped posting.

Shame really. Babe of the week was always a particular highlight.

Edited to say:-
And some of the people left on here that do post, seam to have a major lack of sense of humour.

Last edited by stilover; 05 October 2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05 October 2016, 06:32 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still hang around on here, not had a Subaru for a good while. I think a lot of the original posters are old miserable sods now so don't post on forums.
Old 05 October 2016, 06:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is Pissy Actually dead now ?
Old 05 October 2016, 07:20 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 05 October 2016, 07:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not just Scoobynet, most other forums are the same.
I go on the MLR a lot and it's dead compared to a few years ago, and lots of the local forums are dead.

Lots of people use Facebook instead, but even they are quiet compared to a year ago.

The community spirit on here died a while ago, too many people on here like to moan and whinge.

The other issue is that old members moved on, and newbies were scared off/pushed away by a 'select few' who didn't like their questions/class/snob factor.

I speak to a lot of members on here, and it's a recurring theme that many don't post on here as they can't be bother with the sarcastic comments they'll get if the 'select few' don't agree with them.

That's why the forum still gets a lot of lurkers but not many posters.
Old 05 October 2016, 07:24 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
I still hang around on here, not had a Subaru for a good while. I think a lot of the original posters are old miserable sods now so don't post on forums.
lol dogs howsthings neil
Old 05 October 2016, 08:08 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I lurk. TBH, not owned a Scooby in over 10 yrs. And the latest stuff just doesn't interest me.
The community was great but things move on, as do people.
Of course, Subaru's abandonment of WRC was a big influence - less exposure to the public, less people buying them.

Expensive running costs: so much "better" metal out there for the same outlay.

But for this site to keep going involves lots of input from you know, the users
Old 05 October 2016, 08:31 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I keep trying to start up new threads. Plus all the people that use to organise tunnel runs etc have left.
Old 05 October 2016, 09:24 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
lol dogs howsthings neil
Alright cheers, long time no see. Hope you're well.
Old 07 October 2016, 11:52 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
The golden age of Subaru was the mid to late 90s into early 00s. When I got my new and only Impreza turbo in 97, people would stare in the street when they saw it. There was a thriving modifying community which documented their work on here and business contributed. My Impreza has long gone. The Subaru brand has pretty much died away in the UK. Tuners and businesses have left this site. I only look when bored and nothing better to read. My browser removes all advertising as it just swamps you. Only a matter of time I'm afraid
Absolutely spot on

When I bought my new 98 Turbo I would be stopped in petrol stations car parks etc for the first couple of years "what is that", "I've never seen one before" "What's it like to drive" it was fairly unique back in the day and created a lot of interest.

I then discovered Scooby Sport in 2001 who in turn put me on to SN when they were upgrading my car all day, after I'd been on their Playstation with bucket seat

Seems like a past era now. I haven't had a Scoob since 2010 but still look in every now and again and will always look around when I hear one.

An I believe a lot of forums are struggling these days as social media is quick and fast, people don't seem to want to write paragraphs anymore just one liners.

SN has lost so many interesting characters over the last 10 years it will never be the same again, it's good to remember it as it was in it's halcyon days.
Old 07 October 2016, 02:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Absolutely spot on

When I bought my new 98 Turbo I would be stopped in petrol stations car parks etc for the first couple of years "what is that", "I've never seen one before" "What's it like to drive" it was fairly unique back in the day and created a lot of interest.

I then discovered Scooby Sport in 2001 who in turn put me on to SN when they were upgrading my car all day, after I'd been on their Playstation with bucket seat

Seems like a past era now. I haven't had a Scoob since 2010 but still look in every now and again and will always look around when I hear one.

An I believe a lot of forums are struggling these days as social media is quick and fast, people don't seem to want to write paragraphs anymore just one liners.

SN has lost so many interesting characters over the last 10 years it will never be the same again, it's good to remember it as it was in it's halcyon days.
I also agree with Andy97's post but I still think the social media e.g. Facebook and Twitter are not as good as a topical forum like this NSR. That's even if we now have much less posters on here. Facebooking seems to be an a$$ kissing exercise. If you disagree, or say something slightly contrary on someone's thread, even in the most polite ways, they still might take an offence. Sometimes they take an offence because you say nothing. Christ!

I had that with a real life friend (who I haven't seen for at least last 10 years tbh). He is a Jeremy Corbyn's b1tch, which is fine; free country and all that. He has been a paid member of the Labour party for past 20 years, but was banned from voting in their leader election recently because he had been appreciating Corbyn openly and too much on Facebook. All other mates was sympathising with him, so did I. I said that I was gutted for him and I'd rather have the Labour pay me, if they want me to campaign and vote for them. I think he took an offence, because he went a bit quiet with me. Some other 'friends' also confirmed that he had a face on with me for what I said. Had I not said that rather than me paying my hard-earned money for my Labour membership, Labour should be paying me instead; to glorify them to the public, he would have been alright with me. Oh, well. I do feel bad that I upset him, but genuinely, that wasn't my intention. In contrast, at least on NSR, we can disagree and agree to disagree etc. etc. We don't have to go around 'liking' people's boring posts either. Here, we can still talk to or ignore obnoxious people without calling them our 'friends', and we can talk to our Scoobynet friends here in an obnoxious way. I prefer Scoobynet. For now, anyway.
Old 07 October 2016, 02:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

I hate the whole, ahem,'Facebook generation phenomenon'. Sad as ****.

Back when it was in its infancy, I opened an account purely out of curiosity. Never used it (could see it for what it was) and soon closed my account (and Christ, do they make you jump through (fire lit) hoops to do that!)
Old 10 October 2016, 07:13 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I joined the Civic Type R owners forum in February 2003 and the Type R owners forum in August 2005 and at that time both were buzzing. Nowadays they are a shadow of what they once were and I believe many members now spend their time on Facebook.
Old 10 October 2016, 08:55 AM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley
I go on the MLR a lot and it's dead compared to a few years ago, and lots of the local forums are dead.

Lots of people use Facebook instead, but even they are quiet compared to a year ago.

The community spirit on here died a while ago, too many people on here like to moan and whinge.

The other issue is that old members moved on, and newbies were scared off/pushed away by a 'select few' who didn't like their questions/class/snob factor.

I speak to a lot of members on here, and it's a recurring theme that many don't post on here as they can't be bother with the sarcastic comments they'll get if the 'select few' don't agree with them.

Spot on Gary same with Surrey Scoobies you'll be lucky to get a handful of posts in a week now - people move on.

I think the community spirit also seems to be lacking now.
Old 10 October 2016, 09:07 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Just about everything that can be said about Imprezas has been said a hundred times or more on Snet, including what I've just said. With so few hatches the forum is concerned mostly with long obsolete cars, and they are only driven now by dedicated enthusiasts (a dwindling number) or oiks who can just about afford to buy them but not maintain them. The breakers are also hastening the end of the Impreza so no surprise the forum is dying.
Old 11 October 2016, 10:02 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley

*like*

I just don't get facebook for "forum style" discussions tbh. I don't think the interface on FB works well for that kind of stuff (especially searching for old posts etc), it's more suited to funny pictures IMO.

Some forums are still going strong, e.g. the "mig-welding.co.uk" forum, which is excellent (but not car related).

Edit: One difference might be that e.g. mig-welding.co.uk is actually quite heavily moderated, so you don't end up with the build up of - frankly - cliquey tossers that inhabit this site.

Last edited by Henrik; 11 October 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11 October 2016, 11:02 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

I think facebook has killed off a lot of forums and I think forums can be intimidating for some people. Some because they are very cliquey and other because u rnt aloud 2 tlk lke dis (who even texts like this is what I want to know, no one has a 3310 anymore and everyone gets free texts or imessage or whats app)