Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance accident question

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2016, 07:11 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance accident question

Someone went into me last Sunday as I was driving to work.

We exchanged details at the scene and a witness gave me his details too. I've passed all this on to my insurers Monday morning. I have since been given a hire car and had an assessor out to look at the damage and give a quote for a repair.

I've phoned the insurance company today as I haven't heard anything for a few days, I've been told that nothing has been reported her end. Which the person I spoke to, said that sounds like a good thing (I'm not quite sure how?)

There's a note on there system to give her insurance company a call again on Monday.

Is it not illegal to not report an accident that they have caused? What happens if she now denies it? I ended up getting pictures of her car as well as mine, and I have the witness.

I'm a little worried as I'm only 3rd party due to it being a friends policy I was a named driver on.
Old 18 September 2016, 08:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell us about the accident, a lot depends on how it happened for example a rear end is nearly always cut and dry.

Also having an independent witness is golden, your insurance company isn't worried which is good, they would be chasing if there was any risk of them paying the bill.
Old 18 September 2016, 09:21 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

also you need to be very clear who is paying for the hire car

when I got rear ended a few years ago (cut and dried case tbh)

the hire car sort of turned up - the whole process seemed quite opaque

I think the expectation is it will be the other person insurance will be picking up the tab

but I seem to remember the hire car company (not related to my actual insurance company although they obviously had some sort of commercial agreement in place)

were having trouble claiming their costs (my hire car) from the "person at faults" insurance company

so they tried to chase me

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 18 September 2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 18 September 2016, 11:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

when I got rear ended a few years ago

Old 18 September 2016, 11:15 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Childish, but no less amusing.
Old 18 September 2016, 12:10 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

I was driving along a normal A Road (1 carriageway each side) 30MPH limit, and I was over as far as possible with a car on my near side. A car comes towards me, passes by no problem. The car which was very close behind swerved into my side of the road and hit my drivers door, rear quarter and back alloy wheel.

The guy that stopped to give me his details said "I thought she was going to cause an accident the way she was driving, she was right up my ***". Nice of him to stop, and I'll probably sort him out a beer for doing so regardless of how it ends up.

Hers is a 61 Plate fiat 500 and only had front wing and fog light damage, and being a young driver she may of received the advice not to claim. But that leaves me in a ****ty position, as I said I'm only 3rd party if she doesn't claim. But she is 100% at fault. My guess is she was either on the phone or still drunk/drugged from the night before. 7.40am and dressed scantily clad at that time of day.

I don't stand to lose masses of money, maybe £1500-£2000 but it's still a bit of a hard pill to swallow.

I thought about the Police but I don't think they are going to be interested. I have noticed her car is untaxed on the Gov website. But that's not reason to not claim I wouldn't of thought? Especially since the new tax change. Not everyone seems to get it yet.

Yes good thinking, I'll ring up tomorrow and check what the score is with payment for the hire car.

Last edited by timmy2take; 18 September 2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 18 September 2016, 12:42 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy2take
I was driving along a normal A Road (1 carriageway each side) 30MPH limit, and I was over as far as possible with a car on my near side. A car comes towards me, passes by no problem. The car which was very close behind swerved into my side of the road and hit my drivers door, rear quarter and back alloy wheel.

The guy that stopped to give me his details said "I thought she was going to cause an accident the way she was driving, she was right up my ***". Nice of him to stop, and I'll probably sort him out a beer for doing so regardless of how it ends up.

Hers is a 61 Plate fiat 500 and only had front wing and fog light damage, and being a young driver she may of received the advice not to claim. But that leaves me in a ****ty position, as I said I'm only 3rd party if she doesn't claim. But she is 100% at fault. My guess is she was either on the phone or still drunk/drugged from the night before. 7.40am and dressed scantily clad at that time of day.

I don't stand to lose masses of money, maybe £1500-£2000 but it's still a bit of a hard pill to swallow.

I thought about the Police but I don't think they are going to be interested. I have noticed her car is untaxed on the Gov website. But that's not reason to not claim I wouldn't of thought? Especially since the new tax change. Not everyone seems to get it yet.

Yes good thinking, I'll ring up tomorrow and check what the score is with payment for the hire car.
I'd report it to 101 too, just to get a reference number, never hurts.

More importantly was she fit?
Old 18 September 2016, 07:30 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Happens all the time unfortunately.

Her insurance company will contact her to confirm she admits liability, but a lot of people ignore the insurer as they can't be arsed/hope it'll go away.

Eventually if she keeps ignoring them they'll admit liability anyway, but they have to give her 'X' amount of time to respond, so can often take months.
Old 19 September 2016, 05:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Unfortunately when someone ignores the process it can take forever. My last incident, I refused to accept a 50 50 share of an accident. 18 months later the other parties claim was dismissed.

Latest, is a car shunted me from behind, small claim. Signs are she is going to be awkward. My insurance company offered her the option to pay direct and not go through her insurance as it is a few hundred pound repair. No reply. You would of thought being a young driver with a risk of super high premium next year they would take this offer.
Old 19 September 2016, 07:34 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

I gave my insurance company a call today and she has told my story of what happened...but the other ****ing way round. What a scummy little bitch

As my friend just said to me: It's not possible for me to of gone into her side of the road and hit her with my drivers door and rear quarter and she's only got damage to her front wing. I'm pretty sure he's onto something there? He should be doing the investigators job!

Road it happened on:

Name:  20160911_074234_zpsrydvmxa5.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  417.9 KB
Her car (Nice ****ing tyre, and she isn't taxed either):
Name:  20160911_073841_zpsrcbvwpuq.jpg
Size:  400.3 KB
Name:  20160911_073833_zpsoxvmqgpg.jpg
Size:  350.3 KB
Name:  20160911_073829_zpsnfocfrko.jpg
Size:  256.3 KB
Only damage is to her front:
Name:  20160911_073853_zpsog03mtjl.jpg
Size:  417.4 KB
My damage starts from my door (although she did hit my wing mirror initially)
Name:  20160911_074311_zpsf53re9my.jpg
Size:  262.1 KB
Name:  20160911_074259_zpsjehz7faa.jpg
Size:  345.5 KB
Name:  20160911_074311_zpsf53re9my.jpg
Size:  262.1 KB
It also took a chunk out of the rear tyre, as well as damaged the rear wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 19 September 2016, 08:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

from the damage (and description) it seems pretty obvious she was driving right up the guy in fronts chuff and then as you say turned into you

was she trying to over take or turn right or simply listening to music, swerving about to it and generally driving like a *****
Old 20 September 2016, 06:24 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Then I'm afraid I'd be thinking about the physical and mental pain of the accident .. normally not one to press but she's calling you a liar.
Old 23 September 2016, 01:32 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little worried as I'm only 3rd party due to it being a friends policy I was a named driver on.

If you're named on the policy and the insured is comprehensively covered so will you.

You will only be 3rd party if you're driving under the DOC cover on your own policy.
Old 15 October 2016, 08:35 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

I finally got paid out for this in the end.

It took the witnesses statement in the end to swing it though. In my eyes though it should of been settled the day I sent the photos (1 day after the accident) I feel like writing to the director of her company saying it's probably cost them in excess of £1000 for a months worth of hire car and £26 a day insurance waiver for me whilst I used it. Where if the investigator there end had any sense/ proper training he'd of paid there and then looking at the photos.

I still managed to keep the car too, and sold that last night too, which was a bonus.
Old 15 October 2016, 08:01 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got paid out for this in the end.

It took the witnesses statement in the end to swing it though. In my eyes though it should of been settled the day I sent the photos (1 day after the accident) I feel like writing to the director of her company saying it's probably cost them in excess of £1000 for a months worth of hire car and £26 a day insurance waiver for me whilst I used it. Where if the investigator there end had any sense/ proper training he'd of paid there and then looking at the photos.

I still managed to keep the car too, and sold that last night too, which was a bonus.
When someone went into the back of my Impreza a few years ago, The other side's insurance company begged me to send the hire car back(brand new BMW 330d M sport cost of £200 a day), they offered me one of there little hatchbacks which I refused, in the end we settled for a £1000 for myself to give the hire car back and do without a hire car until my impreza was fully repaired.
Old 16 October 2016, 11:32 AM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley
Happens all the time unfortunately.

Her insurance company will contact her to confirm she admits liability, but a lot of people ignore the insurer as they can't be arsed/hope it'll go away.

Eventually if she keeps ignoring them they'll admit liability anyway, but they have to give her 'X' amount of time to respond, so can often take months.
+1
Old 16 October 2016, 11:59 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I am going through a minor bump incident at the moment. The cost of this repair is roughly 250. I have never had to jump through so many hoops. I have had an independent photographer turn up for my side and take endless pictures. Then they don't know who this guy was, so asked me to do the same photos, what a waste of money!
I have had to chase round to get quote accepted. Sent transcript of text messages from women who hit me acknowledging the accident took place. Even after all this, my insurer still hasn't contacted her insurer. All I was doing was waiting at a roundabout when the daft driver behind bumped into me. To cap it off, despite express statement not to pass on my details. I am receiving calls from injury claims chasers. I wished I had never bothered.
Old 18 October 2016, 08:21 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Her front tyre looks a tad worn