Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good morning gents, Help required please...

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2016, 06:54 AM
rmsturbod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good morning gents, Help required please...

Good morning to you all. I am in need of some help with regards to purchasing my first Subaru. I have found one that I like and I am going to view it possibly Monday or Tuesday and was wondering if anyone that is familiar with the do's and dont's would mind casting there eye over the car with me. The car is in West London, I would happily pay for there fuel and time. Just need some help not to buy a lemon. Many thanks in advance.
Old 17 September 2016, 08:05 AM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmsturbod
Good morning to you all. I am in need of some help with regards to purchasing my first Subaru. I have found one that I like and I am going to view it possibly Monday or Tuesday and was wondering if anyone that is familiar with the do's and dont's would mind casting there eye over the car with me. The car is in West London, I would happily pay for there fuel and time. Just need some help not to buy a lemon. Many thanks in advance.
have you got a link to the ad
Old 17 September 2016, 08:37 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Where are you travelling from mate?
Make sure the car is not warmed up or used on the day before you view if it is walk away
Old 17 September 2016, 10:05 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ZANY
Where are you travelling from mate?
Make sure the car is not warmed up or used on the day before you view if it is walk away
hi m8...will be seeing you at three sisters next month out of curiosity,whats the reason for the cold engine? is it to check oil etc?
Old 17 September 2016, 10:41 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
hi m8...will be seeing you at three sisters next month out of curiosity,whats the reason for the cold engine? is it to check oil etc?
Hi bro defo looking forward to seeing you there
When car is cold you can check for piston slap, oil, if there's any smoke coming out of the rear or any other unwanted noises then once up to temp make sure heaters are in cold and switched off take it for a good test drive have it in 5th gear doing about 5omph then increase acceleration to see if the car builds boosts as it should and there's no clutch slipping or diff noise issues also from cold to hot you can see if the gears select ok and there's no crunching in 3rd gear especially if it's a 6speed as they are expensive most people only realise after they buy then once you come back from a good test drive check front rad pipes etc for any unwanted pressure build in the coolant system and the rest
I've had over 30scoobys and walked away from a lot aswell I've seen some right bodge up jobs
then again if I went to buy a high performance 4x4 and the tyres were not same all round I'd take money off for that aswell Ive never had a bad experience selling or buying scoobs in the past 12years bro using my checking methods
I'd be happy to check any scoob out for a buyer if they are local and want to take me along NO CHARGE
Old 17 September 2016, 01:14 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Before starting the engine check oil level make sure its not been run on nothing u'd be surprised how many do.

Check all other fluids including water, not just expansion tank you want to also check main tank, should be full of water. Gear box oil, dip stick to left of intercooler, you'd be surprised how many owners don't even know its there.
Old 17 September 2016, 10:33 PM
rmsturbod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice gents. I am in Essex. I don't know weather to go for a classic or something newer. WRX or STI. I have around 6K. Once again thank you.