Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Zika Virus

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2016, 01:33 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Zika Virus

Is this a virus than just effects women whilst pregnant, or can this lay dormant in say a teenage girl and effect her later in life?

We went to Florida/Disney early this year with my 2 teenage daughters and now I am concerned. Wasn't really that impressed by the place to be honest so wont be going back any time soon - just concerned about any effects especially with the USA's lackadaisical approach to health and safety.
Old 31 July 2016, 02:52 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Is this a virus than just effects women whilst pregnant, or can this lay dormant in say a teenage girl and effect her later in life?
Short answer, no. It's a not a virus that hangs around in the body very long, and even if it did you'd develop immunity to it within a matter of weeks.

Can Zika remain dormant in your system?
Old 31 July 2016, 03:39 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

All if & buts though which is quite worrying. Coupled with loads of athletes not going to the Olympics - what do they know that we don't...
Old 31 July 2016, 03:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think the athletes know anything we don't tbh

Some seem to be using it as an excuse not to go

Rio has bigger problems than zika - crime for one

But I d agree the reporting on it - i.e. The mechanics of the disease has been vague
Old 02 August 2016, 03:03 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
Short answer, no. It's a not a virus that hangs around in the body very long, and even if it did you'd develop immunity to it within a matter of weeks.

Can Zika remain dormant in your system?

I would suggest the link is questionable a colleague has just cancelled a trip to Florida as they plan to start a family soon and their GP said it can lay dormant for 6 months.
Old 02 August 2016, 03:04 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.

We went to Florida/Disney early this year with my 2 teenage daughters and now I am concerned. Wasn't really that impressed by the place to be honest so wont be going back any time soon - just concerned about any effects especially with the USA's lackadaisical approach to health and safety.
TBH mate if you're really that concerned a car forum isn't the best place to ask speak to your GP.
Old 02 August 2016, 03:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Unless they are planning on getting pregnant in the next year. Nothing to worry about. Millions of south American women get pregnant every year but it seems to only affect a small percentage of those.
Old 02 August 2016, 04:32 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who are the 'loads of athletes' not going to Rio? Don't count golfers or tennis players, whose sports consider their major championships to be greater achievements than an Olympic medal. Just being selected for the Olympics is an honour and few would pass up the chance, Zika or no Zika.

As for crime, Rio is fine as long as you don't behave stupidly, and Olympic competitors are monitored very closely to keep them out of trouble. And there is no need to leave the Olympic villages, everything is there, and they are super secure.