Placing a deposit

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2016, 02:15 AM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Placing a deposit

Hey all

Long story short, drove a golf r dsg at vw, did not like the dsg box at all. Wanted a manual but they have one in their "warehouse" facility which I have to put a deposit on to get transferred down. I wasn't too sure as I have not tested a manual version nor even seen the car.

The sales guy ensured me I would love the manual version as I like the Golf r overall if that makes sense.

How comfortable would you guys be in placing a deposit down on a situation like this as I have not done this before.
Old 31 July 2016, 08:41 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Does seem a strange scenario to put a deposit before down before they get the car. On the other hand, my daughter has a Scirooco R-line with DSG and I must say I loved the DSG gearbox.
Old 31 July 2016, 09:09 AM
paulgtt
Scooby Regular

In this situation I would put a deposit on the vehicle but only if it is fully refundable if you don't like/get on with the car.
Old 31 July 2016, 09:42 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure you get 14 days if you change your mind!! When I had my Golf R the paperwork said I had 14 days after delivery if I didnt like it they would refund me my deposit.

Are you buying from a main VW dealer or somewhere else???
Old 31 July 2016, 10:00 AM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Pretty sure you get 14 days if you change your mind!! When I had my Golf R the paperwork said I had 14 days after delivery if I didnt like it they would refund me my deposit.

Are you buying from a main VW dealer or somewhere else???
Buying from a main vw dealer, he said I might get a refund but would have to pay for the shipping costs. I really want the car as the spec they are offering is a bargain but wondering if it's a sensible decision to make as I have not seen the car or driven a manual version but confident I will like the gearbox.

Last edited by scooby k; 31 July 2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 31 July 2016, 10:47 AM
kevfawcett
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can't legally keep your deposit. However, they will expect you to take the car if it's as described.

They are saying it's in their 'warehouse', if that's the case there would be no transportation costs. It sounds to me like, they are going to buy it in for you and hope you take it. They will have access to stock from VW HQ, it's probably coming from there, or a related dealer
Old 01 August 2016, 09:04 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

I've left a refundable deposit on cars before when i've found them online and couldn't get to the dealers for several days.
Make sure you get it in writing or email that the deposit is refundable and left subject to test drive/ approval
Old 01 August 2016, 09:06 PM
kevfawcett
Scooby Regular

There's no need, they have no legal grounds to keep your deposit
Old 02 August 2016, 07:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's a version of the usual sales tactic: getting a deposit to "obligate you" on the sale.

Sounds very much like the old "someone is coming later/tomorrow to view/buy the car, place a refundable deposit now and you'll have first refusal".

The point being, and I've had this with main dealer after falling for this twice...getting that deposit back can be difficult. They don't refuse, just give you excuses, even say they've done it (refunded on the card) but they haven't.

Once was a Subaru which after closer inspection had some very poor body repairs. The other was a BMW that generally wasn't up to scratch (had a hard life). Both main dealers. The Subaru dealer gave me the run around, at first they'd see if they can get another car but everything offered was overpriced or not the right spec, I asked multiple time for a refund on the deposit, including visits, they lied twice about refunding it on the card, I eventually had to claim it back via the credit card. The BMW was a similar story but I managed to get hold of the manager and got him to do the refund there and then, very apologetic, but no rational reason why they messed me about for a month when I originally asked for the refund.

I would never leave a deposit with a independent dealer (or private seller), but if you really have to...do it on the credit card, so at least you can make a claim to get the money back if they mess you about.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 August 2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02 August 2016, 07:59 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could you pay the deposit with a credit card so if you change your mind and they get funny to claim it back through your card company?
Old 02 August 2016, 09:11 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

seems its SOP with VW if you ask around,
why not just find the car elsewhere and test drive for free, then go back to VW if that car is the right colour, miles etc.
Old 02 August 2016, 12:14 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
seems its SOP with VW if you ask around,
why not just find the car elsewhere and test drive for free, then go back to VW if that car is the right colour, miles etc.

Problem is the other manual cars are far away from me. Difficult to get someone to take me.

I didn't feel to comfortable with this sales approach as I can assume if something goes wrong, they will try to pull their way out of it.

this salesman was a right ****, tried coming on strong saying the R is a true track car and VW don't let you test drive unless you place a deposit which is crap as I have driven 2 DSG R's alreday. He was really forcing the sales and made it like I wasn't interested and wasting his time which I couldn't care less as it's his job to provide a service.

I was well annoyed as the previous sales man I saw the first time was well nice.

I'm really not sure about going down this, putting a deposit for a car I have not seen as I don't want any headache is something goes wrong.

They happy to take your money but not happy to see you when things go wrong.

Last edited by scooby k; 02 August 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02 August 2016, 12:58 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typical sales bullying. A bad practise, but all too common these days.

I was abroad working when my wife went to change her car - the sales guy there downright lied to her to try and secure a sale (also a VW dealer). This time she has gone to another manufacturer (BMW). They didn't lie, but knew naff all about the vehicle as half the things he said weren't on it actually were!

Why oh why do we need these idiots? I have no trouble buying things, so why do I need some pushy chump to help me?

Walk away.
Old 02 August 2016, 10:02 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Which VW dealers is it?
I bought a VW from Vindis in Cambridge on saturday and they were great
Old 02 August 2016, 10:29 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Don't give a deposit at all.And I have the same DSG and for what everyone says,it is a PITA,

So bloody wish I had stuck with manual
Old 03 August 2016, 03:44 AM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

I have a Golf R with DSG, get it tuned or use the paddles.
Problem solved

Cheers

Dan
Old 03 August 2016, 12:07 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanPhillips
I have a Golf R with DSG, get it tuned or use the paddles.
Problem solved

Cheers

Dan

I did use the paddles, it the only way I drove it. Didn't like at much.
Old 03 August 2016, 04:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby k
I did use the paddles, it the only way I drove it. Didn't like at much.
I drove my brothers M3 - it has paddles and a sequential manual shift ****

it was a relatively short drive - but I gave up on the paddles and used the shift ****

also I had an Audi Tiptronic - I always used it in "manual" mode
Old 11 August 2016, 10:25 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I drove a Golf R DSG for the first time a month ago and thought it was brilliant. It was effortlessly smooth and made no errors in 45 minutes of driving when left to its own devices. In manual mode, it was great fun and for more effective than 3-padals and a clutch. I drove my mates Z4 35si 7sp MCT last week as well and reached the same conclusion, it's as engaging (in a different way) as a manual but more effective and allowed me to concentrate on other aspects of the driving experience.

For me, I'll always look to have a DSG/MCT in any car from now on. The only way I'd have a manual if I was looking at a car that was "raw" all round (i.e. Caterham, Elise, stripped out special).

Also, there is a great (and long) thread/post on VWROC that details how to get the very best from the DSG box and avoid "WTF" moments. It's not infallible, you still have to understand how the technology works in order to get the best out of it. A great example of this is downshifting in manual mode: With a stick shift, we often lift off the gas, select neutral, blip, change gear, then gun it. That initial lift off it almost hard-wired into us but a DSG would read it to mean you are backing off to a cruise and would pre-select a more efficient gear. For example, you are in 5th and want 4th but by lifting or maintaining throttle positions, 6th is preselected. When you floor it and pull back on the paddles for a downshift it takes much longer than usual because the wrong gear is selected. The solution is to pre-warn the box of your intentions by applying more throttle, the box will anticipate a kick down and preselect 4th so that when you pull on the paddles you get an instant and smooth shift.
Old 11 August 2016, 08:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Some people simply just don't like them. Let them have that choice for whatever reason they have.

Interesting nugget is the FWD lap record holder for the Nurburgring is held by a limited edition non-DSG MK7 Golf (Clubsport S), which is only available as a manual.

Its quite perplexing as I thought VW engineers would have opted for a DSG with its superior shift speed outweighing the slight weight penalty. Maybe they know something we don't?

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 August 2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11 August 2016, 10:15 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Some people simply just don't like them. Let them have that choice for whatever reason they have.

Interesting nugget is the FWD lap record holder for the Nurburgring is held by a limited edition non-DSG MK7 Golf (Clubsport S), which is only available as a manual.

Its quite perplexing as I thought VW engineers would have opted for a DSG with its superior shift speed outweighing the slight weight penalty. Maybe they know something we don't?
The new type r is manual too and was the fastest fwd car on the ring.
Old 17 August 2016, 07:04 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Where are you OP?

I did exactly as you have in 2014 when demand was high and number of available demos was low; drove a DSG demo, really liked the car but didn't like how detached I felt from the gearbox/process when pushing on through a stretch of twisty road, so bit the bullet and ordered a manual without driving it.

Fast forward to collection/ownership and I don't regret it at all, the manual box in a 7R is great.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 17 August 2016, 07:59 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I honestly expected to feel the same but I really didn't. Flicking a paddle to select my desired gear allowed me to really concentrate on my line and the balance of the car. I felt the same driving my mates Z4 35si. I can't wait for the damn thing to be delivered now
Old 17 August 2016, 09:23 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Yeah my sister has a DSG R and even now, when I drive that, I can't wait to get back into my car. It's likely be a different story if I was using it as a daily drive and encountered traffic or wanted a 1/4 mile weapon, but as an open road car to have fun in, there's no contest for me... manual pedal/stick interaction is something I need and enjoy in any car, not just an R.

When does your car arrive mate? Can't be too long now?

Cheers,
Grant
Old 17 August 2016, 10:35 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I think it's due to be built around now but the tracker isn't displaying the date I'd guess it's about 5-6 weeks away.
Old 18 August 2016, 01:58 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Grant, on VWROC you list JB1 and DTUK in your mods. Have you had both tuning boxes? If so, which do you prefer and why? How many months/miles have you ran a tuning box for and do you have confidence in their reliability (provided you otherwise take good care of the car)?
Old 18 August 2016, 02:16 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevfawcett
There's no need, they have no legal grounds to keep your deposit
They can if its non refundable. Depends on the terms of the deposit payment
Old 18 August 2016, 02:40 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I think it's due to be built around now but the tracker isn't displaying the date I'd guess it's about 5-6 weeks away.
Not too long then, I had to wait ~6 months for mine.

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Grant, on VWROC you list JB1 and DTUK in your mods. Have you had both tuning boxes? If so, which do you prefer and why? How many months/miles have you ran a tuning box for and do you have confidence in their reliability (provided you otherwise take good care of the car)?
I've got a JB1 and a DTUK Pedal Box... I actually posted on VWROC earlier, if I had a DSG (as you do) then I'd fit a pedal box immediately, the standard throttle pedal is pretty dead in the first inch or so of movement (in the MY15 car I've got access to anyway) which I find infuriating, the PB will remove that and has a decent amount of adjustability depending on how sensitive you want your throttle pedal to be.

The JB1 is a fantastic bit of kit, really transforms the way the car drives and performs.. I chose this over the DTUK Tuning Box because it has a little extra control over the systems and is proactive with fuelling rather than relying on the standard systems to react and adjust fuelling themselves. It also has the ability to tweak settings and data log should you want. I had the car on the R/R and the AFR levels were fine too... the box has been on for c6k miles with no issues, warning lights or difference in economy.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 18 August 2016, 04:02 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that was my reason for choosing it too. The DTUK box relies on fuel trims to chase its tail and constantly cycles between going lean (before adaptation) and going rich (when EGT's get too high). The JB1 appears to get around this and after much reading, I'm about as satisfied as I'm going to get that it's fairly safe. I'd probably keep it 5psi as opposed to chasing 5.2 just to be on the safe side and may even turn it down to 4.8 if I know it's going to be hot or I'm planning to kick the utter crap out the car (long fast road or track day).

Do you notice any difference in the day to day drivability/smoothness with the JB1 on?
Old 18 August 2016, 05:27 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
They can if its non refundable. Depends on the terms of the deposit payment
That's what they said, it's non refundable. I just didn't think it was a good idea to put a deposit on 2nd hand car I have not seen.

Might have some bad wear and tears I mite not be happy with. It's a risk I rather not take when spending money, also I have not even test driven a manual car so not sure how it would feel in comparison, the sales guy tried to convince and said he cannot understand a reason why I would not love it.
Just trying to put pressure on a sale, he pissed me off and was being a right ****.

I just thought f*** it and left.

Quick Reply: Placing a deposit