Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

My main TV is 8 years old.....

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2016, 11:56 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My main TV is 8 years old.....

I was having a conversation with a friend about TV's etc as he's just bought a new 4K TV and he couldn't believe that my TV is 8 years old. Considering how quickly technology advances, I'm wondering myself whether it's time for an upgrade?

However, it functions perfectly, it's full 1080p HD, 42" screen size. The only thing I'd have now is something like a 55" screen but I don't "want" or crave a new TV.

This is the one I have: Panasonic Plasma PZ70 http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-116674/review

Certainly got good reviews at the time. The only thing I find annoying is it has 2 HDMI ports but I have a HDMI splitter anyway which turns it into 5 ports.

So, how long have you had yours?
Old 28 July 2016, 12:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still have our original 42" Panny plasma 720p

We moved it to the bedroom about 3 years ago and replaced it with an LG

55" 3d smart unit. so its about 8 years in total.

Would i replace it... in terms of size yes, its bulky, and only 42" but in terms of picture quality / blacks etc. nope, nothing comes close

Pity Pioneer stopped the Kuro range

Mart
Old 28 July 2016, 12:23 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you are watching 4k content, I can't see the point. Even then, the only 4k content I have been impressed by is the demo material.

I have two Sony TV's - one is 8 years old, the other is 6 months old. On broadcast, satellite and broadband content, there is no difference whatsoever.

Keep your money or spend it on popcorn
Old 28 July 2016, 01:07 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Still have our original 42" Panny plasma 720p

Would i replace it... in terms of size yes, its bulky, and only 42" but in terms of picture quality / blacks etc. nope, nothing comes close

Mart
I'm with Mart on this one - 42" Panasonic 1080 plasma in a corner in my lounge; aside from it looking older than the more recent styling which gives a narrower screen surround, the image quality is difficult to beat.
Old 28 July 2016, 01:23 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I was having a conversation with a friend about TV's etc as he's just bought a new 4K TV and he couldn't believe that my TV is 8 years old. Considering how quickly technology advances, I'm wondering myself whether it's time for an upgrade?

However, it functions perfectly, it's full 1080p HD, 42" screen size. The only thing I'd have now is something like a 55" screen but I don't "want" or crave a new TV.

This is the one I have: Panasonic Plasma PZ70 http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-116674/review

Certainly got good reviews at the time. The only thing I find annoying is it has 2 HDMI ports but I have a HDMI splitter anyway which turns it into 5 ports.

I have a 6/7 year old 42" Panny Plasma. You won't find anything with a better picture than yours without spending silly money. I'd wait until OLED becomes more mainstream and the prices drop.

If my TV died tomorrow, I think that I'd try to find a second-hand Panny ZT first, rather than a brand new TV.

If you want additional functionality and SMART features, just buy a new Blu-Ray player for £120.

I have this one: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-687126/review

Purely for the picture quality. Sound is handled by a Denon AVR and B&W speakers. SMART connectivity via a Sony Blu-Ray.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 28 July 2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 28 July 2016, 01:24 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I guess that's the thing, if you spend your money on quality things it'll last. Panasonic Plasma's were renowned for being the best TV's back then and it still shows. Maybe I'll change it in a few years time when 4K is the norm.

Edit: Smart TV functionality doesn't interest me at all. Mainly because my internet speed is utter w@nk .

Last edited by LSherratt; 28 July 2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 28 July 2016, 01:40 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I guess that's the thing, if you spend your money on quality things it'll last. Panasonic Plasma's were renowned for being the best TV's back then and it still shows. Maybe I'll change it in a few years time when 4K is the norm.

Edit: Smart TV functionality doesn't interest me at all. Mainly because my internet speed is utter w@nk .
My internet is garbage too but I have a lot of downloaded films on my PC, which I stream to the TV.
Old 28 July 2016, 01:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Get yourself a 4K TV regardless of whether you want it or not, as they are now cheap, it will future proof you (until 8k, at any rate!) and your 1080 pictures will be better due to the way that pixel binning works.
Old 28 July 2016, 02:56 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

4k is currently a bit of a rip off in my opinion and was rushed in. 4k HDR is the true standard and looks epic, much improved over standard 4k, and I feel for people who replaced good 1080p screens with non HDR standard 4k. That's why they are cheap. Like buying a 720p screen when 1080p is just around the corner. I'd wait personally.
Old 28 July 2016, 06:38 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I'm definitely waiting. I'm in no rush or have any urge to upgrade.
Old 29 July 2016, 12:00 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I'm currently using a 7 year old Pioneer Kuro LX5090, i've not seen anything yet from a modern TV, that's within a realistic price range that comes close to it in quality and the colours looking so natural, the black levels are amazing.

Only once 4K becomes more mainstream where more content is available will be the point where i may start looking at 4K TV's, i'm more than happy with what i have at the min.
Old 29 July 2016, 01:19 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We've just had the main board and power supply replaced on Panasonic veira plasma ( 2012)
Thank goodness came with 5 year warranty .
Old 29 July 2016, 09:54 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

We've got a JS9000 Samsung SUHD 4K with Nano Crystal Technology

(According to the blurb)

Its an excellent unit and highly recommended. It runs from a separate processor box which can be upgraded separately for future proofing).

Ultimately the end picture quality be that HD, 4k, UHD 4k or whatever is limited by the quality of the input.

Some 4k stuff is exquisite. Some is no better than standard HD.

I do think we are spoiled though. Try watching an old standard resolution movie. They are now almost unwatchable.
Old 29 July 2016, 10:37 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

I have a Panny Viera 42" Smart LED TV with 3D, bought it 3 yrs ago when my old LG packed up. Does the job fine - Had lots of stuff I didn't want on it, but then all the tellies for sale in Currys were all the same, so no option than getting one with the unwanted stuff on it......

Although it's a "smart" TV - I've got a phone, tablet, PC, 2 Laptops, all with web access - WTF do I want it on the telly for? - no use to me at all........ same as the 3D thing - got free glasses with it - Wow... big deal !......... never even touched them - total kack to me and of no interest whatsoever..

The picture is so good as standard I totally forget that there might be a HD channel for the programme I'm watching, but when I do remember and flip over to the HD channel, I don't see that much difference anyway apart from slightly more clearer lines.... I look at the demo's running in the shops for the "new" TV's and I watch and say to myself... 'and?'.... is that it?....... you want how much !!...... yeah right... bye....

I also got a freebie Panny Blue Ray in the package - well I think it's Blue Ray - never switched it on since I bought it, so it might be, but then it might not be.... again, of no interest whatsoever.... it's only there to look the part when visitors come round...

Like phones - so much unwanted crap is included as standard with TV's these days, it's seems pointless spending money just to get the "latest" thing - unless of course you are one of the "must have it" crowd who aren't old or sensible enough to know any better... so in my humble opinion, just wait till you 'have' to upgrade and get the package then... and only get what you actually need...
Old 30 July 2016, 06:32 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I still have a 720p 42 inch Panasonic Viera, it's 11 years old and still working but hasn't been used for the last year due to me buying a 55 inch 1080p Sony.
Old 30 July 2016, 01:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Just replaced a 42" Pioneer Plasma with a 55" LG OLED. Sky starting UHD broadcasts of sports and films to download made me make the move - that and UHD BR players already available. HDR is being toted as the next big thing but no decent content other than a few demo clips. My LG is a 2015 model as half the price of a 2016 model - the latter supports Dolby Vision as well as HDR10 but no BR are in DV and neither of the current UHD BR players support DV. By the time that's mainstream I will be buying another new TV and 8K will be here + more.

Apparently UHD BR sales are better than HD BR when it first came out. I find that hard to believe as don't know too many people with a 4K TV let alone a UHD BR player.
Old 30 July 2016, 01:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Oh and just messing around with YouTube on the new TV and came across this:

The wife asked what film I was watching lol
Old 30 July 2016, 01:51 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Looie
I have a Panny Viera 42" Smart LED TV with 3D, bought it 3 yrs ago when my old LG packed up. Does the job fine - Had lots of stuff I didn't want on it, but then all the tellies for sale in Currys were all the same, so no option than getting one with the unwanted stuff on it......

Although it's a "smart" TV - I've got a phone, tablet, PC, 2 Laptops, all with web access - WTF do I want it on the telly for? - no use to me at all........ same as the 3D thing - got free glasses with it - Wow... big deal !......... never even touched them - total kack to me and of no interest whatsoever..

The picture is so good as standard I totally forget that there might be a HD channel for the programme I'm watching, but when I do remember and flip over to the HD channel, I don't see that much difference anyway apart from slightly more clearer lines.... I look at the demo's running in the shops for the "new" TV's and I watch and say to myself... 'and?'.... is that it?....... you want how much !!...... yeah right... bye....

I also got a freebie Panny Blue Ray in the package - well I think it's Blue Ray - never switched it on since I bought it, so it might be, but then it might not be.... again, of no interest whatsoever.... it's only there to look the part when visitors come round...

Like phones - so much unwanted crap is included as standard with TV's these days, it's seems pointless spending money just to get the "latest" thing - unless of course you are one of the "must have it" crowd who aren't old or sensible enough to know any better... so in my humble opinion, just wait till you 'have' to upgrade and get the package then... and only get what you actually need...
If you are the type of person who cant see the difference between a SD and a HD channel or blu ray over DVD then you aren't really the target market.
Old 30 July 2016, 03:45 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Ive got a samsung 55inch 3d smart tv in front room and a luxor 55inch smart tv in my man cave. The difference in picture quality and general build quality between the £1500 samsung and the £500 luxor is night and day. I rate all the samsung products from phones to t.v to sound bar.
Old 30 July 2016, 06:05 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I definitely stick to the main brands. You get what you pay for obviously. I do laugh when I see people in various supermarkets buying 50" TV's for £350 odd quid or whatever probably thinking they've got an amazing deal .
Old 30 July 2016, 07:10 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Samsung do make a good TV but there top LCD 9500 is OLED money. They binned 3D from their entire 2016 range and their strange stand design means I would have lost almost a foot of viewing distance.
Old 30 July 2016, 07:12 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I definitely stick to the main brands. You get what you pay for obviously. I do laugh when I see people in various supermarkets buying 50" TV's for £350 odd quid or whatever probably thinking they've got an amazing deal .
Doesnt matter as long as its big lol. I have yet to see one of these Hi Sense 4K sets but seem to have a good rep and a low price.
Old 30 July 2016, 11:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My plasma is about 5yrs old, no plans to replace. Got a Sony LED in the extension which is nice, but the plasma in the living room still beats it for watching films.

Maybe if OLED comes to full fruition I'll consider, but until then edge-lit LED has always and will continue to be a inferior display technology.
Old 31 July 2016, 12:47 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our old 42" Panasonic plasma was replaced last year after 8 years - was only 720p but an excellent picture. But over 8 years TV prices have come down and my eyesight has deteriorated, so we went for a 60" LG, only 1080p but top of the LG range. We almost went for the 55" thinking the 60" would be too large - but we're glad we went for the larger one.
Even managed to flog the old one on gumtree for £80
Old 01 August 2016, 11:30 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
My plasma is about 5yrs old, no plans to replace. Got a Sony LED in the extension which is nice, but the plasma in the living room still beats it for watching films.

Maybe if OLED comes to full fruition I'll consider, but until then edge-lit LED has always and will continue to be a inferior display technology.
Like this one?

Ok, they aren't cheap, but they are stunning
Old 01 August 2016, 11:52 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Like this one?

Ok, they aren't cheap, but they are stunning
Not sure what Ali means by full fruition. The G6 is crazy money and even the E6 is £3500 for a 55". I am not keen on the look of the soundbar nor the picture on glass. The new LG OLEDs do support Dolby HDR and premium UHD certification but the latter seems a marketing gimmick. My 950 cost me less than half of that E6 price. It does struggle on near black content but thats mostly on poor source material. The blacks are immense. People harp on about Pioneer Kuros but OLED is in a different league for blacks.
Old 02 August 2016, 03:55 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got Plasma's in living room and bedroom.

Until OLED drops in price I'll be sticking with them. I have 65" now so would have to go bigger to make it worthwhile and OLED 77" LG is £25K and curved - I don't want curved.

If I had to buy now it would probably be 65" Sony LCD 4K.
Old 16 August 2016, 01:48 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here 8 years Old Panasonic, did go look with Son the other day and the replacement in 50 was only 599 for 4k. The Sony guy ws in showing me his new Tvs, very nice but 2k...

DO keep eyeing up the OLED Tvs but waiting for them to come Sub 1k as i don't really watch Much TV.
Old 16 August 2016, 08:53 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I must admit , every time I visit Costco my wife has to drag me past the TV section as we walk in.
Some nice gear in there at not bad prices...!
Old 16 August 2016, 09:33 PM
agw_01
Scooby Regular

I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to replace a Panasonic plasma with just any old LCD/LED (backlit) TV.

I have a P42X10 (720P) which I've had for about 7 years with only 6000 hours run time (most of that is from the last 18 months since it's been in my girlfriend's house) but I'm yet to see a cheapish LCD/LED come even close. One thing that's ALWAYS impressed me with the X10 is the SD picture quality.

I like it that much I very recently bought a 3 year old Panasonic P50GT60B (50" 3D plasma) to replace it. Maybe look into a quality 2nd hand plasma if you're looking for a bigger TV.

Quick Reply: My main TV is 8 years old.....