Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

EU Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2016, 02:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EU Citizenship

My son is a UK citizen but now lives, works and even pays some tax in Dublin. He's been there 2 or 3 years and plans to stay for a while. Is there anything he should be thinking about now e.g. applying for citizenship to avoid any entry or visa problems when the **** hits the fan in a couple of years.

I can't think that the Paddies will chuck him out as they would have too much to lose but a change of Gov't or whatever, best to be forewarned.

David
Old 04 July 2016, 02:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't be thinking of anything until the Article 50 is invoked and then if some changes are to come in realistic and factual way.

Until then, James Lock needs to to just relax and continue to make some great tunes with his mates.
Old 04 July 2016, 02:45 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm in the same boat, living in Germany and wondering what the consequences of the UK leaving will be on my right to live and work here!

I have no doubt that I would easily get a working visa should it come to that, but neither do I want the hassle of going through all the paperwork and hassle every couple of years!

At the moment, you can take citizenship of another EU country without having to give up your 'home' nationality, however, it is also not clear if countries will require you to give up your UK nationality once the UK leaves. A lot will depend on the country in question and whether they recognise dual nationality of non EU citizens. AFAIK, Ireland allows dual nationality, so would not be a problem, but Germany does not, so for me it could be an issue!

My advice at the moment is there is no need to take immediate action, but your son should certainly look into the process of taking Irish citizenship and perhaps ready himself should it come to it. It may well be worth it anyway if he is happy to do so, at least it would put the issue to bed for him and he doesn't need to worry about post Brexit agreements!
Old 04 July 2016, 02:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Mr BMW, Thank you, sounds sensible advice.

I didn't mention but he had done some work for that cheerful chap Michael Higgins so I think he could get a decent reference if needed but that connection may not be available in a couple of years.

David
Old 04 July 2016, 03:01 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

There have been special arrangements on various items between to British and Irish governments since Irish independence. Such as the 'Common travel area'

"...What exactly is the Common Travel Area?

The Common Travel Area has been in existence between Ireland and the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) since Irish independence. The Common Travel Area operates across a range of areas, including allowing for free movement between Ireland and the UK.

There are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling within the Common Travel Area i.e. between Ireland and the UK. However, as regular passengers would be aware, all air and sea carriers require some form of identification and some carriers regard a passport as the only valid identification. Immigration authorities may also require you to have valid official photo-identification which shows your nationality.

What will be the effect of a UK exit on the Common Travel Area? Will Irish citizens continue to be able to travel freely between Ireland and the UK, to work or for leisure purposes?

Withdrawal of the UK from the EU is expected to take a considerable amount of time and detailed negotiation will take place before any changes will be effected. The Common Travel Area remains in operation and is an arrangement that is highly valued on both islands. We will prioritise preserving the benefits of the Common Travel Area in the context of negotiating new terms and conditions for the EU’s relationship with the UK, and in our bilateral discussions with the British Government...."
Old 04 July 2016, 03:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

TH, I expect you're right but I trust politicians less and less (and less)

Anyway here is a cover the "boys" did which I think is pretty good - hope you like it. Some up and coming singer called Adele!

David

Old 04 July 2016, 03:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
TH, I expect you're right but I trust politicians less and less (and less)

Anyway here is a cover the "boys" did which I think is pretty good - hope you like it. Some up and coming singer called Adele!

David

Adele - Someone Like You (Keywest Cover) - YouTube
WOW, excellent! Very well done.

Thank you, David.

Trending Topics

Old 04 July 2016, 03:41 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by albob
What will be the effect of a UK exit on the Common Travel Area? Will Irish citizens continue to be able to travel freely between Ireland and the UK, to work or for leisure purposes?

Withdrawal of the UK from the EU is expected to take a considerable amount of time and detailed negotiation will take place before any changes will be effected. The Common Travel Area remains in operation and is an arrangement that is highly valued on both islands. We will prioritise preserving the benefits of the Common Travel Area in the context of negotiating new terms and conditions for the EU’s relationship with the UK, and in our bilateral discussions with the British Government...."
I'm not really sure how they can keep the Northern Ireland border open if we don't have freedom of movement for UK/EU citizens post Brexit! If there is no freedom of movement, then the common travel area becomes a back-door for EU citizens to travel to the UK, unless we start adding border control between Northern Ireland and mainland UK!
Old 06 July 2016, 06:37 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm an eu national living in the UK, and I've started filling in the forms for permanent leave to remain (step 1 for citizenship).

Perhaps there's something similar for Ireland and Germany?
Old 06 July 2016, 09:40 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Eager anticipation of getting my British passport
Old 07 July 2016, 04:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My son is a UK citizen but now lives, works and even pays some tax in Dublin. He's been there 2 or 3 years and plans to stay for a while. Is there anything he should be thinking about now e.g. applying for citizenship to avoid any entry or visa problems when the **** hits the fan in a couple of years.

I can't think that the Paddies will chuck him out as they would have too much to lose but a change of Gov't or whatever, best to be forewarned.

David
Wouldn't worry about it too much. Once Theresa May is voted PM, she'll somehow find a way of vetoing the referendum result and just keep us in.
Old 07 July 2016, 11:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Wouldn't worry about it too much. Once Theresa May is voted PM, she'll somehow find a way of vetoing the referendum result and just keep us in.

Thank you.

So you feel that James, my boy, has nothing to worry about Your advice being based on wishful speculation that Lady May will change everything, ignore the peoples' choice, hey-ho we're back in the EU? I wish it were true but sadly it ain't going to happen.

Why do you think it will?

David
Old 08 July 2016, 11:14 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sorry this is a pretty basic question which shows my ignorance. Say you are born in UK but live and work in another country quite legally but want to preserve your UK status. So is the first step to apply for citizenship of the country you now work in and then think about applying for a passport in that country? Can someone clarify please.

Thanks, David
Old 08 July 2016, 01:21 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Sorry this is a pretty basic question which shows my ignorance. Say you are born in UK but live and work in another country quite legally but want to preserve your UK status. So is the first step to apply for citizenship of the country you now work in and then think about applying for a passport in that country? Can someone clarify please.

Thanks, David
Not really a basic question! The problem is, every country has their own set of rules and regulations regarding applying for and being granted citizenship! There are also no EU rules that give you additional benefits to becoming a citizen of another EU country, so if you want citizenship, you have to fulfill the same rules as everyone else which may also be biased against you. For example, a country may give preference to people from an ex-colony, may have certain age constraints or only want people with certain skills! Countries with points bases systems may actually be quite difficult to become citizens of, even if you've lived there for years!

Many countries also do not permit dual nationality. There is an EU rule to say EU countries have to allow dual nationality from other EU members, but only one other nationality. For example, if you held French and Spanish nationality and wanted to take German nationality (Germany normally doesn't recognise dual nationality), German would insist you gave up either your French or Spanish nationality but as an EU member can't force you to give up both! This is also possibly an issue for Brits in Germany or other EU countries that don't recognise dual nationality - At the moment you could hold German and British nationality, but once the UK leaves the EU, Germany could require you to give up your British nationality retrospectively!
Old 08 July 2016, 02:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

preserve your UK status.
what do you mean here David

I don't think you can "give up" your UK citizenship,

but "status" as in access to all of the state benefits - then I think if you have lived and worked abroad for an appreciable time you loose the automatic right to these

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/
Old 08 July 2016, 03:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
what do you mean here David

but "status" as in access to all of the state benefits - then I think if you have lived and worked abroad for an appreciable time you loose the automatic right to these

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/

Sorry if I was a bit vague. In my son's case he is currently living and working in Eire, all above board as things stand.

But he might decide to return to his country of birth, England, in a few years time so would want to able to live, work and keep a UK passport and not bugger up his rights to do this by latching onto another country.

Thanks for link. Bloody stupid referendum aggggh

David
Old 08 July 2016, 03:44 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
You can and have to get citizenship of other countries. However, you can (in most cases) get it back.

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...ality/overview

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...sh-nationality

I'm not sure how all this would affect your statutory benefits, such as pensions etc.

For the case of Eire, I'm quite sure they accept dual nationality and don't see that changing!
Old 08 July 2016, 04:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
You can and have to get citizenship of other countries. However, you can (in most cases) get it back.

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...ality/overview

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...sh-nationality

I'm not sure how all this would affect your statutory benefits, such as pensions etc.

For the case of Eire, I'm quite sure they accept dual nationality and don't see that changing!
Interesting

yep that seems pretty clear
Old 09 July 2016, 11:14 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Can't see the free movement aspect of our current EU membership being revoked once we are out of the EU. It's all about access to the single market - And no British Government will want to give that up and I can't see the current EU agreeing access to the market without the free movement rules.

All depends on the negotiations !
Old 10 July 2016, 10:55 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I hope you're right Jasey, but unfortunately the people thought they were voting to stop immigration, so they won't be happy with an agreement which still allows freedom of movement!

Although in fairness, the question was only should we leave the EU, it said nothing about immigration, so they may just have to suck it!
Old 10 July 2016, 11:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I hope you're right Jasey, but unfortunately the people thought they were voting to stop immigration, so they won't be happy with an agreement which still allows freedom of movement!

Although in fairness, the question was only should we leave the EU, it said nothing about immigration, so they may just have to suck it!

Correct. But people's happiness, future and life changing decisions depend on all this. Something the thick zenophobic f,ucking stupid selfish morons who voted Exit didn't even consider. F,uck the lot of them for buggering this all up

David
Old 11 July 2016, 07:04 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Once we are out of the EU there will be nothing to stop the Tories from pretty much abolishing the welfare state and the minimum wage. That should curb folk wanting to come here.
Old 11 July 2016, 10:25 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jasey
Once we are out of the EU there will be nothing to stop the Tories from pretty much abolishing the welfare state and the minimum wage. That should curb folk wanting to come here.
Almost all EU migrants come to work and not because of the benefits system! What is more likely to stop migration is the lack of jobs from the impending economic collapse!
Old 11 July 2016, 11:18 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pound looks set to be worth less than a euro , not that itll worry our jetset expats here

dollar going the same way ??

Last edited by dpb; 11 July 2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11 July 2016, 12:41 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
Pound looks set to be worth less than a euro , not that itll worry our jetset expats here

I'm paid in €, so all good for me, although have some savings in the UK which is a bit annoying as I could do with the cash here, but looks like I'll be leaving it in £ for the foreseeable future!

My brother in law is paid in £ though and lives in Spain, so he's taking a massive hit at the moment!
Old 11 July 2016, 03:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't suppose Jeff's ( alcazar) is concerned , he's saving when he's back in Blighty.

Cos business is bound to boom here !
Old 11 July 2016, 04:38 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It is great, I hope the pound continues to fall as I get paid in euros aswell
Old 11 July 2016, 06:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I'm paid in €, so all good for me, although have some savings in the UK which is a bit annoying as I could do with the cash here, but looks like I'll be leaving it in £ for the foreseeable future!

My brother in law is paid in £ though and lives in Spain, so he's taking a massive hit at the moment!
My eldest daughter in Japan, taking a big hit

Eldest son in Prague - hit too
Old 12 July 2016, 03:56 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dpb

I hope so - I get paid in USD