Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Merc shares take a hit - emissions.

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2016, 10:55 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Merc shares take a hit - emissions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36112333

They are all at it.
Old 23 April 2016, 02:23 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't even look at a diesel vehicle at the VW dealership I went to today. They didn't have any for sale and wouldn't say anything about them, all due to the emissions scandal. The US are certainly a bit peeved at VW...
Old 23 April 2016, 07:15 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Just waiting until the officials learn that the emissions from direct injected petrols are also way above what they should be.

Which they are by the way. For example on some BMW petrols a faulty NOx sensor or NOx storage cat won't put on the check engine light.
Old 23 April 2016, 11:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The car manufacturers have been put in an impossible position by the tree-hugging greens.

Is there any wonder they are now cheating? And since the whole global warming/climate change is a lie why not?
Old 23 April 2016, 02:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

We can't "force" technology to come up with environmental solutions by putting rules, regulations and fining those who don't achieve it.

If anything the financial strain that the likes of VW are now under is going to restrict further development of cleaner vehicles. The fines just go into the back pockets of beuraucrats.

Goals need to be achievable with realms of scientific reasonabilty from engineers in that sector that manufactures and researches the technology, not climate "scientists" and politicians.

It reminds of the old visionary energy solution that we will be able to "beam" electricity from space to whereever we need (some eccentric uni boffin that's probably never wired a plug mentioned on a news article last week ). It's just a load of utter unachievable Ball-*****. Yeah ok, nice idea....but as we know we can already beam it via bolts of lightening, and even if we're did have the capacitor storage technology to store a bolt of energy "beamed" to you car/house/sub station/whatever. Just consider what happens when millions adopt it and we ha e energy beamed all over the place then you find what should have beamed to your car has in fact been beamed to the kid next door flying his kite so and his his mum isn't too happy that he now has a burnt afro haircut and scorched clothing.

Much like a electric car that drive as far as a diesel and "charge" as quick as it takes to fill a tank....AND gets its energy from a environmentally friendly resource...not nuclear, fossil fuels or turning every piece of green field into a wind/solar farm.

Why not work with tech that we can reasonably develop....like halving the weight of the average car..instead of doubling it. It's achievable; and will reduce pollution. For instance have you felt the weight of the average car seat? I bet some are heavier than a Fiat twin air engine.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 April 2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 23 April 2016, 02:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep.

VOTE OUT on 23rd June!!!
Old 23 April 2016, 02:56 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as we thought.Lab tests bear no resemblance to real world conditions.
Cars average 8 times the recommended limit.Check the graph at the bottom!!

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...al-world-tests

'Officials stressed that comparisons directly between models was unfair as they were all tested on different days, with varying temperatures and road conditions.'

Yeah,like how everyone drives every day you idiots..................not in a lab!

And of course the Politician denies everything: 'The minister denied that the findings meant the current emissions testing regime was a farce.'
Old 23 April 2016, 03:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

"Minister in lies scandal"?

Who'd ha' thought it?
Old 23 April 2016, 04:57 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
It reminds of the old visionary energy solution that we will be able to "beam" electricity from space to whereever we need (some eccentric uni boffin that's probably never wired a plug mentioned on a news article last week ). It's just a load of utter unachievable Ball-*****. Yeah ok, nice idea....but as we know we can already beam it via bolts of lightening, and even if we're did have the capacitor storage technology to store a bolt of energy "beamed" to you car/house/sub station/whatever. Just consider what happens when millions adopt it and we ha e energy beamed all over the place then you find what should have beamed to your car has in fact been beamed to the kid next door flying his kite so and his his mum isn't too happy that he now has a burnt afro haircut and scorched clothing.
Might be worth looking into how radio communication works.
Old 23 April 2016, 08:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah, it works with your science for beginners crystal radio set, but try lighting your house or charging your car with a few induced micro amps.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 April 2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 23 April 2016, 10:31 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it works with your science for beginners crystal radio set, but try lighting your house or charging your car with a few induced micro amps.
Might want to add wireless charging to your reading list and that's just at the smaller end of the scale.
Old 23 April 2016, 11:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

And while your at it look at the CV of a Climate "scientist"

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/holocene/pu...n/about/cv.php
Old 24 April 2016, 03:15 AM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

Wtf??? No wonder everyone is confused...... with a CV like like that. You can just write a paper to baffle people into thinking, leave it to the scientists they know what their talking about....
Old 24 April 2016, 09:26 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

yes, I thought it worth pointing out that climate scientists - or as Alib called then climate "scientists"

are not people with beards and bad dress sense staring out of windows - wondering what the weather looks like

but people who are trying to understand how the climate works on this little planet of ours

trying to move from ignorance to knowledge

but listen don't take my word for it - go to http://scholar.google.co.uk/

search for "climate" or any other scientific search term for that matter, it will list the scientist in that field (in the case of "climate" it will be in the tens of thousands) and check their credentials, check their publishing history
Old 24 April 2016, 09:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PhilWrx100
Wtf??? No wonder everyone is confused...... with a CV like like that. You can just write a paper to baffle people into thinking, leave it to the scientists they know what their talking about....
and remember the golden rule

if a scientist is telling you something you don't understand then either

they are stupid - and you actually know best

they are ALL involved in hoax to fool you (into thinking the earth is round for example)

or maybe, they are smarter than you (and me) and know something we don't
Old 24 April 2016, 11:15 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by neil-h
Might want to add wireless charging to your reading list and that's just at the smaller end of the scale.

Wireless charging is just two halves of a transformer: primary and secondary. But without the connected ferrite core, so inefficiency is compromised for high power applications as the further distance between the windings, the more eddy currents from the electromagnet field that aren't transferred to the secondary winding (Lenz's and Faraday's law of induction IIRC). That's why the most efficient transformer's cores are either laminated iron or toroidal as the field follows the core.

This is foundational electronics, we knew this since the early 1800's so it's nothing new. But keep going though I still haven't needed to crack out my work/books of 'leccy laws and theory from uni (or google )

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 April 2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 24 April 2016, 11:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

yes, I thought it worth pointing out that climate scientists - or as Alib called then climate "scientists"

I use the quotations really as to highlight a issue with that particular field when it comes to their prediction of climate trends and how that influences governments.

Traditionally my belief of the core sciences is that a theory is proposed, it's researched, formulas proposed, tested, findings analysed to prove the proposed theory and finally concluded based on factual findings. And proven to be correct when those formulae or findings are applied where the outcome matches the prediction.

With climate, it's still very much in a state of flux, if the formulas or findings were correct or accurate then we'd know exactly what the weather will be like at any given point in the future. It's far from that. What we have is the media, politicians, and some cracks pots going a bit too far ahead of themelves touting unproven theory as fact. So I use the quotes to infer that it's a loose science which shouldn't be considered the same as sciences that have been fully proven.

Technically, what I see some doing is statistical analysis of past trends and using that as a part basis for a prediction. I don't care to readily classify a statistician as a scientist until their findings are rock solid predicatable.

Please note that I fully accept and acknowledge the effect of certain pollutants on people and local climate, which is tested, proven and repeatable in controlled testing. Noted by my comments here and elsewhere on these forums about NOx, CO, HCs Sulphurs etc.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 April 2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 24 April 2016, 12:05 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Default Ck

Wireless charging is just two halves of a transformer: primary and secondary. But without the connected ferrite core, so inefficiency is compromised for high power applications as the further distance between the windings, the more eddy currents from the electromagnet field that aren't transferred to the secondary winding (Lenz's and Faraday's law of induction IIRC). That's why the most efficient transformer's cores are either laminated iron or toroidal as the field follows the core.

This is foundational electronics, we knew this since the early 1800's so it's nothing new. But keep going though I still haven't needed to crack out my work/books of 'leccy laws and theory from uni (or google )
So that's 2 ways you can 'beam' electricity from A to B without using lightening.

Going back to the comments about radios, you can scale the power quite nicely but you'll ultimately find higher frequency (GHz range) gives better efficiency.
Old 24 April 2016, 12:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Ok, I take your point Alib

The problem is weather and climate, although obviously related are two different things

Whereas it is still very hard for scientist to predict the weather beyond 5 days (this is an increase over the recent past) long term climate is actually much easier to forcast

We know this because I might not be able to tell you the tempurature next week, but I can pretty confidently tell you that the mean average daytime tempurature in August will be hotter than April - that is due to our "climate" as it effects our locality in the Northern Hemisphere.

The weather is subject to a vast amount of short term variability, whereas the climate is subject to a lot of variability over a decadal timeframe

But contrary to what you may believe or have been told the climate models work pretty well, they are getting better as our knowledge improves - and moreover the predictions regarding tempurature rises in the last 30 are amazingly accurate

I also agree scientist should do science and politicians make policy based on the science

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 24 April 2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 24 April 2016, 12:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Re: the beardy professors. Whilst my inference was a joke at the old stereotype, I'd actually say it's the reverse in modern science and engineering; I believe there is a problem in both modern day science and industry where the socially awkward geniuses that once were reveared and respected in business, industries and academics are increasingly ostracised in favour of the slick looking smooth talker. That's not saying the latter isn't good at what they do, but the freedoms of the former to fully work in their field of expertise is restricted due to the latter getting the attention and recognition. So increasingly the brilliant but awkward eccentric is forever to be isolated to toiling away in a broom cupboard in a university faculty somewhere with lesser hope of their work reaching industry and with less of the wider public noticing or listening.

This a very bad example but consider Wozniak vs. Jobs. Both brilliant, but look how their paths have split. Which one is the icon and which somewhst forgotten (yet still alive and kicking) and without his original input the tablet I'm using now wouldn't even exist. (Terrible example, but you should get the idea).

And that's bit of a crux; I struggle to think of many current (alive) and iconic scientists or engineers etc. yes there are the obvious (Hawking, well actually he's s theoretical physicist, Tim Berners-less...erm? Dyson? LOL ) then compare to past icons; Tesla, Einstein, Volta, Coulomb, Curie, Maxwell, Ohain/Whittle just off the top of my head, it's a massive list.
Old 24 April 2016, 12:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by neil-h
So that's 2 ways you can 'beam' electricity from A to B without using lightening.

Going back to the comments about radios, you can scale the power quite nicely but you'll ultimately find higher frequency (GHz range) gives better efficiency.
Hey I'm just basing it on the person to practically try it in reality on a large scale; Tesla. The problem is it's been over 70 to 80 years with no real progression.

Charging phones/toothbrushes, the chip in your car ignition key (in every UK car since 1996, except Rover) or the chip in your credit card is in a different realm of what Tesla envisaged. Good, but not groundbreaking.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 April 2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 24 April 2016, 01:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Where's it list how much he makes, and how much he gets for research, for supporting the lie?
Old 24 April 2016, 08:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Re: the beardy professors. Whilst my inference was a joke at the old stereotype, I'd actually say it's the reverse in modern science and engineering; I believe there is a problem in both modern day science and industry where the socially awkward geniuses that once were reveared and respected in business, industries and academics are increasingly ostracised in favour of the slick looking smooth talker. That's not saying the latter isn't good at what they do, but the freedoms of the former to fully work in their field of expertise is restricted due to the latter getting the attention and recognition. So increasingly the brilliant but awkward eccentric is forever to be isolated to toiling away in a broom cupboard in a university faculty somewhere with lesser hope of their work reaching industry and with less of the wider public noticing or ulistening.

This a very bad example but consider Wozniak vs. Jobs. Both brilliant, but look how their paths have split. Which one is the icon and which somewhst forgotten (yet still alive and kicking) and without his original input the tablet I'm using now wouldn't even exist. (Terrible example, but you should get the idea).

And that's bit of a crux; I struggle to think of many current (alive) and iconic scientists or engineers etc. yes there are the obvious (Hawking, well actually he's s theoretical physicist, Tim Berners-less...erm? Dyson? LOL ) then compare to past icons; Tesla, Einstein, Volta, Coulomb, Curie, Maxwell, Ohain/Whittle just off the top of my head, it's a massive list.
Alib, I agree 100%, there is some romanticism about the plucky outsider, the maverick, the lone wolf who over turns the status quo

The problem with climate science is that it is built on testable repeatable physics - unfortunately to go against this means you are pretty much a "flat earther"

We are putting more energy into our climate, we can mesure the energy coming in we can measure the energy going out

It is a simple calculation

The more we understand about our planet the less likely the chances that a plucky accountant in Norwich will over turn 200 years of physics

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 24 April 2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 24 April 2016, 08:59 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Where's it list how much he makes, and how much he gets for research, for supporting the lie?
I rail against the fact that the airline/flight industry fleece me during the school holidays, I am penalised for having school aged children!!!!

They literally extort money from me

Unfortunately the fact that I have to pay an inflated price for flights is a problem for economics not for physics and gravity

Physics is independent from money, otherwise we could buy our way out of gravity, we can't

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 24 April 2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 25 April 2016, 11:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I rail against the fact that the airline/flight industry fleece me during the school holidays, I am penalised for having school aged children!!!!

Unfortunately the fact that I have to pay an inflated price for flights is a problem for economics not for physics and gravity

Physics is independent from money, otherwise we could buy our way out of gravity, we can't
LOL, nice evasion.

HOW MUCH does he get paid, and what does he get in grants for his research, for supporting the lie?
Old 25 April 2016, 09:01 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The DOT have been questioned about VW. There answers were that VW hasn't repaired one vehicle in the UK.!

WTF

Also then passed the buck about compensation and said it was for the courts to decide. What is the point of a government body if it can't enforce and punish
Old 26 April 2016, 08:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Errrrrrr, it gives jobs for the boys and it's boss will get a VW directorship when he leaves?
Old 28 April 2016, 09:51 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I would gladly pay extra not to be in a plane with school kids!
Old 28 April 2016, 10:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Not everyone is the same Paben

I take my all 5 children on a plane and regularly get complimented how well behaved they are

I would worry about the stag party from (insert nothern town)
Old 29 April 2016, 08:56 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not everyone is the same Paben

I take my all 5 children on a plane and regularly get complimented how well behaved they are

I would worry about the stag party from (insert nothern town)

You're quite right, and I guess I'm talking about pre-school kids really, especially babies. I would definitely pay extra to avoid sitting close to one of those on full song! Bit off thread, sorry