Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ranting session....

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 10:33 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, firstly I do not think I own the road, nor do I speed through villages, but when out on derestricted country roads yes, I enjoy driving quickly.

It was chucking it down on sunday, so I thought I'd go out for a decent drive along some of my favourite country lanes. Two things bothered me:

1) A pair of cyclists that decided to ride side by side, even the one "next to" the kerb was about a metre out. It wasn't a particularly straight road so people had to drive behind them till they could "risk it" and go round them. They seemed to have no awareness of the queue behind them and the situation they had created. They didn't have to stop or ride single file permanently, just tuck in for 5mins and then go back to side by side. Yes, I pipped my horn as I passed, not a long held beep, just a pip, and I saw in my mirror a few hand signals I don't recall from my cycling proficiency test!

2)Out in the middle of nowhere, section of road that twists and shifts but across a valley so perfect visability and the ability to use all the road (huge puddles \ lots of mud on road) so it is a fun section and yes, I have my foot down. I spot some ramblers crossing road some distance ahead (both wearing bright coloured kagouls <sp?&gt so I immediately lifted off the throttle and started to brake, this is about 50-100yds from where they were. They decide to just stop, like rabbits in your headlights, one on the right, one on the left, and just stare at me. Why? I drop down to about 20 to go safely between them. I wasn't aware in the "ramblers code" there is a section on creating a narrow section in the road to slow down motorists? I'm sorry but when walking (as, once, I used to enjoy) if I heard a car then is was usual to step to the side of the road or even into the verge, for my own safety, not stand defiantly in the middle of the road!
As I passed she started jumping up and down, shouting, and again using a hand signal that I don't recall as being in the highway code.

Now both these groups of two will no doubt curse me to their friends and family but how on earth can they see their actions as "the correct thing to do"? Hell, they may call the police with my number plate and say I was *driving dangerously* - how do I report a cyclist or walker that is putting themselves at risk?

aarrgghh...

</rant mode>
Old 10 June 2002, 11:19 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do what I do. Get out and ask them what they were up to. At the end of the day its as much your road as theres and you have as much right to be there as you. Despite what the media and popular culture will have you beleive.
astraboy.