Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Laundrette.

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2016, 03:49 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Laundrette.

Never been in one before. Quite an experience.
Old 10 January 2016, 03:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

How was the great unwashed?
Old 10 January 2016, 04:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
How was the great unwashed?
Not too bad, Ali. Sat here now using the drier surrounded by students, poor people and foreigners. And one poor, foreign student. Lots of interesting hair cuts. The trick with the drying seems to be to only put in enough 50ps to dry your washing without going overboard and wasting money. There's even a man who helps and teaches you how to put the powder in and that sort of thing. The whirring and rotating of the machines is somehow quite relaxing. Everybody (even the poor, foreign student) has a smart phone. I imagine that before their advent the laundrette was a hub of social intercourse and that many a meaningful relationship had been forged.

Last edited by JTaylor; 10 January 2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10 January 2016, 04:19 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Several pairs of pants on show; looking around trying to pair them up with their owners. Perverse?
Old 10 January 2016, 04:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I imagine that before their advent the laundrette was a hub of social intercourse and that many a meaningful relationship had been forged.
I believe this was born out by the evidence at the time

Studies showed that relationships starting in the launderette came in the top 3 along with work and pub (I think)
Old 10 January 2016, 04:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I've used laundrettes.

When we lived in London, Mister had his home given by the theatre he worked at. We had no room for a washing machine there, so we went to the laundrette round the corner.

I used the only laundrette in our nearby town when I walked out of the Mister's house here; after coming to North Wales. I used to stuff my washing bag under my younger child's pram, push it downhill with my older one holding my finger. Dryer was so crap in there that it would eat my money for rubbish job, and I had to bring wet clothes back under the pram and pushing my baby in it with my older leading sometimes struggling to pull the front up the hill; in order to help me. It was exhausting, but we got there; eventually. Life hasn't always been a bed of roses, but we got there; eventually.

My current washer-dryer is 10 YO and faced only one broken spell, which was fixed by a local engineer for merely 35 quid. I'll hang on to it until it croaks it completely.

Oh, I forgot to tell that from the North Wales laundrette, I once found a random pair of men's socks with 'I'm too sexy for my socks ' on it. A friend called Blue wanted to snap them off me, but I told him to sling his hook and kept them for myself. I wore them to death until they showed massive holes. Then I disposed of them.

Last edited by Turbohot; 10 January 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10 January 2016, 05:09 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Not too bad, Ali. Sat here now using the drier surrounded by students, poor people and foreigners. And one poor, foreign student. Lots of interesting hair cuts. The trick with the drying seems to be to only put in enough 50ps to dry your washing without going overboard and wasting money. There's even a man who helps and teaches you how to put the powder in and that sort of thing. The whirring and rotating of the machines is somehow quite relaxing. Everybody (even the poor, foreign student) has a smart phone.
This sort of experience may make one think how privileged one is. It's like being in a foreign land, I can imagine.

I imagine that before their advent the laundrette was a hub of social intercourse and that many a meaningful relationship had been forged.
I never experienced that. No one talked to anyone in London Laundrette. No one would stick about for the washing cycles to be completed in busy and pretentious Islington. They'd go out for a wander/shopping etc. I used to nip into the library with my little boy. Some might have waited for the drying cycle with their stern faces stuck in some magazine, and the collecting ones would be as impersonal. No Dot Cotton would be there to assist with the powder etc., either.

North Wales laundrette was a ghost town. I don't think anyone went there but me; during my testing times. Well, some may have done, otherwise I wouldn't have found that pair of socks mixed with my laundry, but I never saw anyone, there. No Welsh version of Dot Cotton, either.

Last edited by Turbohot; 10 January 2016 at 05:11 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2016, 06:11 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
This sort of experience may make one think how privileged one is. It's like being in a foreign land, I can imagine.

I never experienced that. No one talked to anyone in London Laundrette. No one would stick about for the washing cycles to be completed in busy and pretentious Islington. They'd go out for a wander/shopping etc. I used to nip into the library with my little boy. Some might have waited for the drying cycle with their stern faces stuck in some magazine, and the collecting ones would be as impersonal. No Dot Cotton would be there to assist with the powder etc., either.

North Wales laundrette was a ghost town. I don't think anyone went there but me; during my testing times. Well, some may have done, otherwise I wouldn't have found that pair of socks mixed with my laundry, but I never saw anyone, there. No Welsh version of Dot Cotton, either.
I think you and I would have engaged with each other, Swati, what else would a couple of ENTJs do? Dot and I would certainly have some common ground; we could have a chapter-and-verse-off!
Old 10 January 2016, 08:55 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I think you and I would have engaged with each other, Swati, what else would a couple of ENTJs do? Dot and I would certainly have some common ground; we could have a chapter-and-verse-off!
Hey, I think we would have definitely engaged with each other. Now come to think of that, I reckon those socks with 'I'm too sexy for my socks' were yours that you forgot inside the laundrette's washing machine, weren't they? Come on, admit it.

Yes, you are Dot Cotton Junior for sure. Seriously, we would have got on so well that we would have chatted and chatted and chatted about the lovely rabbits and hurricane lamps in the laundrette. I would have even come to the Church with you, if you wanted. I would have made those tiny little fairy cakes for the Church raffle and things like that, we would have become such good mates!

But I would never have converted, though.

Last edited by Turbohot; 10 January 2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10 January 2016, 11:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Hey, I think we would have definitely engaged with each other. Now come to think of that, I reckon those socks with 'I'm too sexy for my socks' were yours that you forgot inside the laundrette's washing machine, weren't they? Come on, admit it.

Yes, you are Dot Cotton Junior for sure. Seriously, we would have got on so well that we would have chatted and chatted and chatted about the lovely rabbits and hurricane lamps in the laundrette. I would have even come to the Church with you, if you wanted. I would have made those tiny little fairy cakes for the Church raffle and things like that, we would have become such good mates!

But I would never have converted, though.

Aww, bless you. x
Old 10 January 2016, 11:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

And you, me deary. X
Old 11 January 2016, 09:40 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm thinking the Levi's ad....lol
Old 11 January 2016, 09:54 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Quote: 'Oh, I forgot to tell that from the North Wales laundrette, I once found a random pair of men's socks with 'I'm too sexy for my socks '

That must have been in Llandewi Breffi,

http://www.neilmoodie.com/wp-content...Z_2248995a.jpg

'What's wrong Dafyyd?'

'I am not talking to you Swati until I get my socks back!'
Old 11 January 2016, 10:37 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

gross.lol.but funny
Old 11 January 2016, 11:18 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Quote: 'Oh, I forgot to tell that from the North Wales laundrette, I once found a random pair of men's socks with 'I'm too sexy for my socks '

http://www.neilmoodie.com/wp-content...Z_2248995a.jpg

'What's wrong Dafyyd?'

'I am not talking to you Swati until I get my socks back!'
Old 11 January 2016, 12:15 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was a poor student living in Nottingham we used to use the laundrette all the time as we had no washing machine or dryer. Used to pop into the laundrette and purposely make a hash of it so the kind old irish woman who managed it would set us straight. She charged for ironing but the trick was pop it in the washing machine, look completely lost and then pop next door to the cafe for a fry up. If we timed it right "mother" would have taken it out of the washing machine, put it in the dryer and it was all lovely and warm and crease free.

Happy days

Nowadays I am banned from the washing machine as my wife thinks I am a fool and so that is sorted as well
Old 11 January 2016, 12:22 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
When I was a poor student living in Nottingham we used to use the laundrette all the time as we had no washing machine or dryer. Used to pop into the laundrette and purposely make a hash of it so the kind old irish woman who managed it would set us straight. She charged for ironing but the trick was pop it in the washing machine, look completely lost and then pop next door to the cafe for a fry up. If we timed it right "mother" would have taken it out of the washing machine, put it in the dryer and it was all lovely and warm and crease free.

Happy days

Nowadays I am banned from the washing machine as my wife thinks I am a fool and so that is sorted as well
Old 11 January 2016, 07:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
I'm thinking the Levi's ad....lol
I checked out that advert, and I found a nice looking man doing striptease in a laundrette and the women of all ages gawping at him. It doesn't happen in real life, believe me. If it did, the bloke would be labelled as a class A weirdo and get sent to jail for a few days- for indecent exposure of his hideous boxers. His lawyer might fight with proposing his mental ill health issues etc.

I don't automatically relate these public laundrettes to poverty, as in London, some very privileged ones use them for they can't be arzed with having one in their house.

A lot of times, our relating is our projection.
Old 11 January 2016, 07:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I missed that.

I don't think that place is in the North of Wales, legb4rsk. I think it's in the South of Wales. North and South are poles apart, so there's no way they could have any connection with Mr. Vicky Pollard getting all awrsey in Llandewi Breffi.
Old 12 January 2016, 12:12 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I was just manipulating the facts to create a bit of existential wimsey.
It's called the 'set up' in comedy & you can use artistic licence.
If you have to analyse or explain comedy it's not comedy anymore.

So that's that one f**ked.

Do you know Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard?

I'm wasted on here I tell you.Wasted!!!

Old 12 January 2016, 12:42 AM
Lillyart14
Scooby Regular

I use one near me on a weekly basis. Got to know some of the regulars and the owner fairly well. Costs £4.40 for a warm wash which takes about 30 minutes and then its £1 for a 10 minute cycle in the dryer. All in for £6.40. Got a kebab shop next door which does a mean burger so I'll pop in there if it's an evening wash.
Old 12 January 2016, 12:43 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I was just manipulating the facts to create a bit of existential wimsey.
It's called the 'set up' in comedy & you can use artistic licence.
If you have to analyse or explain comedy it's not comedy anymore.

So that's that one f**ked.

Do you know Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard?

I'm wasted on here I tell you.Wasted!!!

Many thanks for your pearls of knowledge, because I simply can't get your amazing comedic artistry of such very high level. I'm awfully sorry about that. I still didn't take it any of that that seriously at all, so take yourself not that much wasted here.

No, I possibly can't know any of the two. Do they post here or own scoobies etc.? Or, do they have any experience of visiting any laundrettes?

Old 12 January 2016, 12:52 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lillyart14
I use one near me on a weekly basis. Got to know some of the regulars and the owner fairly well. Costs £4.40 for a warm wash which takes about 30 minutes and then its £1 for a 10 minute cycle in the dryer. All in for £6.40. Got a kebab shop next door which does a mean burger so I'll pop in there if it's an evening wash.
Exactly. Nothing to be red-faced about.

It doesn't necessarily mean that you're poor, a foreigner or a student with odd looking hair cut and malnourished body surviving on Aldi branded pot noodles. You eat a proper burger, you do. Have you made any real human friends via the laundrette or do you talk to your invisible friends like us via your smartphone whilst the final dryer is on etc.?