Selling and buying another house question

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2016, 09:51 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling and buying another house question

Basically have sold my first house and the people move in 29th Jan
We put a bid in on the house the same day which was accepted.
This was early December so we applied for a mortgage which has been dragging on due to the festive
period. Basically the mortgage still isn't sorted but should be this week.
Is it reasonable to expect that all the other stuff involved in us buying our new will
be completed in say 10 working days?

Worried we will have to move out of our house the 29th and not have a house to move into.
Can easily move in with parents if required but would rather not.

Opinions?
Old 11 January 2016, 10:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Presumably you are exchanging and completing on the same day as your buyers? Chase it up with your conveyancing people / solicitor........... it's why you pay them

Shaun
Old 11 January 2016, 11:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

All things being equal then things can go pretty quickly

But what if your solicitor sees something in the title deeds of the new property he is not happy with, say a restrictive covenant or no bulding regs / planning issue for work the (previous) owners have done

You would be pretty silly to second guess him/her - unless you were very savvy or a risk taker
Old 12 January 2016, 05:35 AM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Basically have sold my first house and the people move in 29th Jan
We put a bid in on the house the same day which was accepted.
This was early December so we applied for a mortgage which has been dragging on due to the festive
period. Basically the mortgage still isn't sorted but should be this week.
Is it reasonable to expect that all the other stuff involved in us buying our new will
be completed in say 10 working days?

Worried we will have to move out of our house the 29th and not have a house to move into.
Can easily move in with parents if required but would rather not.

Opinions?

I'm in a similar situation. We put an offer on a house early Dec, got everything ok'd with Solicitors etc (both parties using same solicitor, and we are chain free)
Got all the checks on property done
Got the Mortgage offer agreed in principle on 12 Dec, and we are still waiting for Nationwide to confirm the paperwork for our mortgage in writing to sign and send to solicitor. We were told they were really quick, plus no mortgage start up fee's and 500 quid cash back after completing.

But as my wife is Italian and she only has her Italian ID, no driving licence or passport, its proving difficult to get Nationwide to agree anything as they want other ID. She banks with Nationwide too and used it to open her accounts so I cant see why this is such a problem?

Not sure what we can do now as we have to be out of the flat we are currently renting by 11th Feb. Still a month to go but I just wish we could get the mortgage sorted.
Old 12 January 2016, 08:18 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

This is the benefit and downside of selling and buying a house. You're in a chain, your sale and purchase should happen on the same day and everyone moves on that day. Solicitors arrange between them and the vendors a mutually convenient date to complete transaction s
Old 12 January 2016, 11:23 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CutMasterT
I'm in a similar situation. We put an offer on a house early Dec, got everything ok'd with Solicitors etc (both parties using same solicitor, and we are chain free)
Got all the checks on property done
Got the Mortgage offer agreed in principle on 12 Dec, and we are still waiting for Nationwide to confirm the paperwork for our mortgage in writing to sign and send to solicitor. We were told they were really quick, plus no mortgage start up fee's and 500 quid cash back after completing.

But as my wife is Italian and she only has her Italian ID, no driving licence or passport, its proving difficult to get Nationwide to agree anything as they want other ID. She banks with Nationwide too and used it to open her accounts so I cant see why this is such a problem?

Not sure what we can do now as we have to be out of the flat we are currently renting by 11th Feb. Still a month to go but I just wish we could get the mortgage sorted.
We are also using nationwide!
Both the solicitors have title deeds from both houses and are happy with them.
Had an issue with my wife's name being different on her passport and our married name
This has since been rectified with us sending in the marriage certificate