Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2015, 07:23 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renting my flat out?

Hi Guys,

Just after some advice really.

I've had my flat up for sale for a year now, and had plenty of viewings, but no offers unfortunately - its obviously too expensive, but I cannot drop the price too much more due to what is remaining on my mortgage.

I really need to move within 6-9 months as we have a baby due in two weeks, and the flat is only 1 bedroom.

So, I was thinking of potentially renting it out in the mean time if it doesn't sell.

I imagine plenty of people on here rent properties out, so I'm just after some advice really.

- Is it worth the agro?

- I think I need to upgrade my fuse board (no RCDs currently), and get it certificated etc, I have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Boiler is serviced, but do I need to prove this?....anything else required?

- Can you go with a company who manages the rental income? Or aren't they worth it? My mortgage payment would be about the same as what the income from the rent would be - but I couldn't really afford too many missed payments!

- Do I have to change my current mortgage to a different type as I'd be renting?

- I've read the rent would be classed as an income? So taxable? As my wife won't be working, could she be the one receiving the payments, so wouldn't need to pay tax?

Any other advice?

Renting out, and having a new mortgage would really stretch me financially, so is a little worrying.

Thanks a lot
Old 02 October 2015, 08:00 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisdicko

- Do I have to change my current mortgage to a different type as I'd be renting?

Any other advice?

Thanks a lot

Yes, you would, seek advice from an IFA / Mortgage adviser.

Re selling, how many years of leasehold remaining?

Get the fusebox sorted as it may be another detracting point for viewings
Old 02 October 2015, 08:11 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Getting the mortgage might be the biggest hurdle to get over. I am not fully au fait with the rules, but I believe it's not as straight forward as it once was. Pre congratulations on your upcoming birth
Old 02 October 2015, 08:33 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

You have to get a landlord safety certificate annually, £100 approx. don't forget you still need buildings insurance. An agent will charge 8-12% of your rental income and up to a months rent to find a tenant. You'll probably need a few quid a year for maintenance, 99% of tenants don't tackle the smallest jobs, they just ring the agents, which means you've got to pay. If you don't have a tenant for a while or between tenants you have to pay the rates. If you get a good tenant who pays properly, lives there for a few years and looks after the place it may be worth it, any problems and it can soon be a real pain.
Old 02 October 2015, 08:55 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Legalities aren't my thing sorry, all I can say is that if your flat is in Whitby you will have no problem letting it out for good money, a beautiful part of the world
Old 02 October 2015, 09:26 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Was going to do this with mine but the fear of all the costs of it getting wrecked and all the hastle ended up dropping the price to get rid of it.
Old 03 October 2015, 02:44 AM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

Just after some advice really.

I've had my flat up for sale for a year now, and had plenty of viewings, but no offers unfortunately - its obviously too expensive, but I cannot drop the price too much more due to what is remaining on my mortgage.

I really need to move within 6-9 months as we have a baby due in two weeks, and the flat is only 1 bedroom.

So, I was thinking of potentially renting it out in the mean time if it doesn't sell.

I imagine plenty of people on here rent properties out, so I'm just after some advice really.

- Is it worth the agro?
If you can't sell it then yes probably is. It's actually not that much hassle but you need to sit down and do your sums.

- I think I need to upgrade my fuse board (no RCDs currently), and get it certificated etc, I have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Boiler is serviced, but do I need to prove this?....anything else required?

You will need a gas safety cert and a energy rating certificate (can't remember what they are called, but they are frankly complete bollocks). An electrical inspection is not mandatory but highly recommended as you would be liable if there was an incident and the property was found to be in a dangerous condition.

- Can you go with a company who manages the rental income? Or aren't they worth it? My mortgage payment would be about the same as what the income from the rent would be - but I couldn't really afford too many missed payments!

There are 3 options. 1. Pay an estate agent to vet and find a tenant and sort contracts (for a fee) then you manage it. 2. Estate agent manages it for a fee typically 10% off the monthly rent, they will inspect it regularly also. 3. Is option 2 but then once you are happy you have a good long term tenant sack the est agent and take over the management saving you money.

Do I have to change my current mortgage to a different type as I'd be renting?

Not neccesarily. Some providers can be flexible for short terms, especially if you can't sell or for example if you are in the military and you need to move locations often.

- I've read the rent would be classed as an income? So taxable? As my wife won't be working, could she be the one receiving the payments, so wouldn't need to pay tax?

Yes the rent is taxable but you can offset all your expenses against this such as mortgage interest, maintenance, fuel to visit property etc. As for giving your wife the income it depends who owns the property. If both names are on the deeds you can only give her half but at least this won't be taxed if she is not earning.

Any other advice?
There are new tax laws on the horizon (2016-17)which may significantly effect the future of the buy to let market.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...150pc-tax.html

Renting out, and having a new mortgage would really stretch me financially, so is a little worrying.

Thanks a lot
Hope this helps?

Last edited by Benji554; 03 October 2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03 October 2015, 05:55 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

The two important insurances
Buildings cover which includes 2-3k contents (rental building insurance)

Rent legal This covers you if tenant defaults on rent, damage to property and chasing them through courts. Agent should sort this on day one after credit/history checks are passed by tenant Must be taken out the same day tenant take up tenancy or else there is a two months loss of cover usually. Your letting agent will guide you.

Property must be clean, tidy and well decorated (not flash) A nice clean bathroom and kitchen appeal to all tenants. Clean carpets/ flooring

Crunch the numbers and get a good reputable agent (not the cheapest) A good agent takes all the hassle away from renting.

Property must have safe and certified electrics and gas equipment/service see agent.

Smoke and carbon monoxide detection a must.

Last edited by andy97; 03 October 2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03 October 2015, 02:30 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If you would like a quotation for insurance at all for renting out your property please feel free to drop me a line. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my household team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 13 October 2015, 07:34 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the replies, really helpful.

I had a quick chat with an IFA who is a friend, and he more or less said to try to sell my flat, as the numbers are too close for me to be comfortable! I.e I'd get around £400/month rent, but that is what my mortgage is/would be.....so any other outgoings would be from my pocket, which I probably wouldn't be able to afford when I buy my new house

Cheers
Old 13 October 2015, 08:51 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the replies, really helpful.

I had a quick chat with an IFA who is a friend, and he more or less said to try to sell my flat, as the numbers are too close for me to be comfortable! I.e I'd get around £400/month rent, but that is what my mortgage is/would be.....so any other outgoings would be from my pocket, which I probably wouldn't be able to afford when I buy my new house

Cheers
Only you know your personal situation, length of mortgage left to pay off etc. If you're handy, and don't live too far from flat, holding onto property and doing minor repairs yourself can be worthwhile when you end up with another property at the end
Old 13 October 2015, 09:19 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it is a tricky one tbh

personally I would always try and hold onto assets, unless I have a much better use for the money or it is genuinely unaffordable in the medium to long term

but as said only you know your personal situation

if you have crunched the numbers and it looks too close then maybe it is best to sell.

you do need a reserve of capital to deal with the unforeseen, I have had tenants ring up mid December (a few years ago when the UK was experiencing a very cold spell) with a broken boiler i.e. no heating

and you simply can't vacillate about getting it fixed, even if a plumber has to go in over the weekend - it has to be fixed

if that means a new boiler, then you have to pay

you can insure against it all - but again that has to be paid for
Old 16 October 2015, 04:54 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Speaking as someone who currently has 79 houses and 20 flats rented i wouldn't advise it.

If you don't have any excess to cover any repairs and it appears by your admission that this may be an ongoing problem then you need to get realistic about the the selling price.

What is your agent telling you ?
Old 16 October 2015, 10:29 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

I got a flat I rent out , currently empty due to a bad tenant , it needs about 3k spending

Took them to court didn't really get anywhere they didn't show up
Old 20 October 2015, 08:51 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

if you're going into doing PROPER renting out..

you need loads of stuff.. all costs!!

I've just had the guy round yesterday doing 9 properties testing for Legonella.

You need gas and electric certificates.
EPC cirt also helps if letting to some ppl.

don't forget declaring the income for tax purposes.

If you're only wanting to rent out for a short time, IMO don't bother, i've had tenants in for 4months and you'd think they'd lived there 10 years!!

if your sentimental on your property.. don't go into renting out.
Old 22 October 2015, 02:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And of course the day after your tenants move in you will get an acceptable cash offer to buy the place!

I would strongly advise AGAINST renting out as baby will keep you awake half the night and you won't want additional worries.

Good luck with junior but I am sure you could manage even for a few months in a small flat. Nice and cosy! David
Old 22 October 2015, 07:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with the above, better to stay where you are and save some more than stretch yourself financially, baby won't know any different and you want it close by for the first few months anyway, so cot at the side of the bed is no biggy.
Old 22 October 2015, 09:17 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

baby will be in your room anyway
Old 29 November 2015, 09:20 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Apologies, I had written a reply, but obviously didn't post!

Thanks for all the replies though! The general consensus seems to be against renting!

My flat isn't selling, and we've not had any offers either to be honest, even though we've had quite a few people through the door - we have decorated, and de-clutter everything when we have viewings etc, so do all we can. We don't have parking, you cannot holiday let, and it is quite small - all things we cannot change, are the reasons why people are saying they don't want it.

It's up for £99k, but we'd definitely accept less. Does lowering the price make any difference? As if someone had £85k or £90k, surely they'd just offer that and see what we say? I can't go too low due to what is still outstanding on my mortgage.

So going back, it isn't selling, and the baby is now just over 4 weeks old, we need to start making plans, as even it is sold tomorrow, it seems to take months (around 6) for things to get moving.
So when he is 6 months old, that's ok for being in the flat, but by the time we'd move out, he'd be around 1 and a lot more mobile etc.

I'd certainly like to sell, but if it doesn't, I may have to rent, and put up with all the hassles etc?

Cheers
Old 29 November 2015, 09:24 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
baby will be in your room anyway
Yes he is He will be for months too, but we just need to start planning things.

Cheers
Old 29 November 2015, 09:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I think you're making too much of the situation, I was born into 1 room in a rented house, mum dad and sister, parafin lamp for heating, then lived in my dads cousins loft until I was about 5yrs old before my parents could afford to rent a whole house themselves.

Your situation isn't dire, and your son won't care or know anything about it, it's all in your own heads, you're making a situation where there isn't one.

Sit tight save your money and leave the flat up for sale, there's no sense in stretching yourself and stressing yourself over something that's not essential, you have a roof over your head, things could be a lot worse and indeed may become so if you stretch beyond your means.

Nothing wrong with planning ahead, but it's always better to move forward from a position of strength with a good platform, not on the back foot with tight finances.

But hey your life, which can't actually be that bad if the only thing wrong is you WANT a bigger place.
Old 29 November 2015, 11:36 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Apologies, I had written a reply, but obviously didn't post!

Thanks for all the replies though! The general consensus seems to be against renting!

My flat isn't selling, and we've not had any offers either to be honest, even though we've had quite a few people through the door - we have decorated, and de-clutter everything when we have viewings etc, so do all we can. We don't have parking, you cannot holiday let, and it is quite small - all things we cannot change, are the reasons why people are saying they don't want it.

It's up for £99k, but we'd definitely accept less. Does lowering the price make any difference? As if someone had £85k or £90k, surely they'd just offer that and see what we say? I can't go too low due to what is still outstanding on my mortgage.

So going back, it isn't selling, and the baby is now just over 4 weeks old, we need to start making plans, as even it is sold tomorrow, it seems to take months (around 6) for things to get moving.
So when he is 6 months old, that's ok for being in the flat, but by the time we'd move out, he'd be around 1 and a lot more mobile etc.

I'd certainly like to sell, but if it doesn't, I may have to rent, and put up with all the hassles etc?

Cheers
Lowering the price may push it into other peoples pricing bracket, is it about right now for other similar properties in the area?

Are they selling? if ask yourself (and investigate why they sold and you didnt)

You could always change tack a little and make it overs over XXX and see what comes in.
Old 29 November 2015, 01:16 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a different approach....

Lower the price, then use people to bid it up against each other, the lower price will draw people in, then when they offer haggle it back up to what you wanted.....
Old 29 November 2015, 05:45 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the flat in Whitby? If it is I'm very surprised it's not sold. I suppose the lack of parking is an issue, it would be for me if I was buying.
GLWS
Old 30 November 2015, 07:37 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I think you're making too much of the situation, I was born into 1 room in a rented house, mum dad and sister, parafin lamp for heating, then lived in my dads cousins loft until I was about 5yrs old before my parents could afford to rent a whole house themselves.

Your situation isn't dire, and your son won't care or know anything about it, it's all in your own heads, you're making a situation where there isn't one.

Sit tight save your money and leave the flat up for sale, there's no sense in stretching yourself and stressing yourself over something that's not essential, you have a roof over your head, things could be a lot worse and indeed may become so if you stretch beyond your means.

Nothing wrong with planning ahead, but it's always better to move forward from a position of strength with a good platform, not on the back foot with tight finances.

But hey your life, which can't actually be that bad if the only thing wrong is you WANT a bigger place.
Yeah, you're correct. I am lucky enough to have a place to live when many other don't. I suppose I'm just wanting things better for when my new baby is a little older, so has somewhere to play etc.
Old 30 November 2015, 07:40 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Lowering the price may push it into other peoples pricing bracket, is it about right now for other similar properties in the area?

Are they selling? if ask yourself (and investigate why they sold and you didnt)

You could always change tack a little and make it overs over XXX and see what comes in.
Hi,
It is priced correctly I would say. There are some cheaper ones, but IMO the buildings aren't as nice, and have more 'rif-raft' in them. But people from away buying them as 2nd homes/holiday lets don't know this to be honest. There are also some more expensive too.

I'm not sure why some sell and mine isn't to be honest. My neighbor just sold his a few months ago, same flat as mine, but opposite layout - he has parking though, and his went for £105k (mine has no official parking)

Cheers
Old 30 November 2015, 07:43 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Try a different approach....

Lower the price, then use people to bid it up against each other, the lower price will draw people in, then when they offer haggle it back up to what you wanted.....
I'm not sure I have the interest for people to haggle it back up really? I could drop it to £80k (although my mortgage is more), but then if I only get one offer of £80k, I'm knackered then
Old 30 November 2015, 07:45 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Is the flat in Whitby? If it is I'm very surprised it's not sold. I suppose the lack of parking is an issue, it would be for me if I was buying.
GLWS
Yes, in Whitby, near the park/town.

Some people who have viewed it have said parking is an issue - although I have 'my spot' which only ever I park in, it isn't official unfortunately. In the 8-9 years I've lived here, I've not been able to park about 3 times in 'my spot', so its not too bad.
Old 30 November 2015, 07:46 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

This is my flat by the way. Please offer any advice if you would change anything

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-49205353.html
Old 30 November 2015, 07:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you're correct. I am lucky enough to have a place to live when many other don't. I suppose I'm just wanting things better for when my new baby is a little older, so has somewhere to play etc.
It will come mate, just be patient and save your pennies, at least you've got the right idea and are planning ahead, like they say "fail to plan , plan to fail."

God knows your going to need them when he starts going through 40 quid shoes every 3months like mine is, they're barely worn in and he needs a new pair and that's just for school, uniform is a rip off too

Then wait till he starts doing clubs, mine does Tea kwon do, Judo, cubs, BMX, guitar, drum and piano lessons, he went on an adventure weekend last week with the cubs and needed a load of clobber for that too.

I could probably buy your flat for what he's costing or better still that classic 911 I've always wanted.

Got to love em though mate, noting quite like having a child and for me as a bloke a son is like hitting the jackpot on Euro millions even if they do cost a bloody fortune.

Quick Reply: Renting my flat out?