Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LASIK Eye Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2002, 04:39 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone had any posative or negative experiences with the LASIK eye treatment procedure?
Thanks, Jon
Old 07 June 2002, 04:49 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Jon,
Wife and I had it done last year at Ultralase in Birmingham. Delighted.
Old 07 June 2002, 04:59 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

I know 2 people (besides Chris) that have had Lasik recently in London and have had great results - both had both eyes done same day and were out and about the next day without corrective glasses.
I'm -7.5 dioptres though so still undecided, chances are I'd still have to wear glasses afterwards
C
Old 07 June 2002, 05:04 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

There was a thread on here a few months ago (perhaps three) which had a lot of peoples feedback.

My wife had it done six months ago and has fabulous sight now, lucky cow!
Old 07 June 2002, 08:01 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Almost went for it with Boots.

Took the disclaimer home to read before signing.

Decided although the track record of total success was 99%,it wasnt important enough for me to risk being in the 1% - someone has to be!

Got contacts instead. 20-20 vision with them and very pleased.

Maybe consider LASIK again if my eyes get much worse, but the disclaimer is quite scary
Old 07 June 2002, 08:08 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

This sort of surgery is a bar for entry to the Fire Service. Apparently there is a risk of glare (like sunlight on your windscreen) at night. Not sure how larger a risk or how it relates to normal life.
Old 07 June 2002, 10:34 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

Don't want to be negative but I have read reports that the treatment can result in night blindness in some cases.

I haven't had LASIK myself, but I have had laser surgery on both eyes due to complications with diabetes - & I now suffer from night blindness (but it is a good excuse not to drive to the pub at night )

Old 08 June 2002, 04:14 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Can anyone tell me how much it cost them? Im considering it once my current boxload of contacts expires

andy
Old 08 June 2002, 07:28 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Worth bearing in mind that laser surgery is only a temporary solution, though 'temporary' may actually be for years. Those already short/long-sighted are likely for it to re-occur.

I've thought about it but have stuck with my contacts - the thought of permanent damage, even if only a 1% chance - is too great for me.

Hugh
Old 09 June 2002, 08:41 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

My wife had it done last year and it was only a partial success so she's got to go back in and have it done again.....

The basic procedure is as follows - sit you down, pull your eye lashes down and tape them to your cheek, then the other lid up to your forehead - clamp your head still, cut a U shaped 'flap' in your cornea so that they can operate the laser through the pupil onto the lens - laser takes about 10 seconds - then they glue the flap shut and do the other eye.

Not sure about the overall success rate, though 99% sounds about right - worth asking if the remaining 1% are actually worse than before or just show no improvement.......
Old 09 June 2002, 09:13 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

My Wife had it done, at Ultralase in Birmingham, about 6 weeks ago now, and her eyesight I superb. Her brother, who was also very shortsighted, had it done at the same place 2 or 3 weeks ago, and can now read the bottom line of the chart.

My Wife did a bit of research before having it done, and the Lasik does seem to be less uncomfortable and marginally more successfull. These treatments do seem to be more suited to shortsighted conditions more than longsighted ones.

A word of warning to the partners of people who have it donw. Try to relax a bit afterwards, otherwise the endless cries of 'I can see that' or 'I can read that' could possibly drive you to murder.

Josh
Old 09 June 2002, 01:17 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Question

Can I ask my question again??

Howmuch!

cheers

andy
Old 09 June 2002, 08:28 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Obviously this is not the sort of thing one rushes into blindly (well actually - it is!). If anyone has any more feedback please post it here. i'm very tempted but that 1% is quite a worry.
BTW, the treatment at Ultralase is £895 per eye.

Thanks again, Jon

Old 09 June 2002, 08:41 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine works for an optician and she says no way would she have done just yet......apparently in America where the trend started, there hasn`t been enough research into how quickly your eyes eventually deteriorate in the future, so for now I`ll stick with my glasses until ALL the research convinces me otherwise.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Joan.
Old 09 June 2002, 11:53 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Boots laser clinic in B/Ham is £2500 for both eyes done. This includes any aftercare or necessary extra treatment.

i would not even consider the PRK treatment nowadays, LASIK is the only worth while option although more expensive.

Boots have the latest radar tracking kit and the main man of eye surgery (forgot his name) with consultants doing the surgey at the boots clinics.

even if u get 20/20 from treatment, natural deteroration around 40yrs old onwards will still occur.

one of the machines used in my visit pre surgery was running a micro$oft OS, had a MS screen saver. After working with PCs since 1988 there is no way I am trusting the reading from a machine that could GPF! (Sorry techie joke)

Old 10 June 2002, 09:17 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

When a good number of opticians have it done themselves, I may be convinced, but while they are cautious about it, so am I.
Old 10 June 2002, 09:21 AM
ChrisB

£2500 pays for a few pairs of glasses or contacts.

I'll stick to me bottle tops thanks.
Old 10 June 2002, 10:40 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I forgot to mention...

My girlfirend came with me for the consult. She didnt see anayone working at the clinic that didnt wear glasses! Even the consultant surgeon wore glasses.

Hmmmm
Old 10 June 2002, 01:07 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had it done about 6 months ago. Brilliant. Getting perfect vision back and being able to bin my glasses and contacts is just fantastic. There's a risk in everything - getting on a plane, whatever. Depends how badly you want it, but I know of several people who've had it done with no complaints.

Cheers.
Old 10 June 2002, 01:25 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmm, I was considering looking into this myself. Not so sure now.
Old 10 June 2002, 01:49 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Wink

No optician is going to recomend it are they? Its like shooting yourself in the foot - if the entire uk population had it done the opticians would be jobless. Our defects keep them in money!
Old 10 June 2002, 02:26 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Well funnily enough – it was my optician who asked me if I had considered it. He thought I would be a good candidate given the stability and simplicity of my prescription. He went through the pros and cons briefly in an unbiased way.

I think I will at least go for a consultation with a couple of places. Please keep posting – it’s been really useful to get this feedback from everyone. Thanks.
Old 10 June 2002, 02:26 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I was interested in this a while back but was put off by the fact that it may need doing again in the future.. I also read about only being able to have it done twice due to the build-up of scar tissue...

BTW on the subject of wearing glasses at the opticians.. last time I was at mine I commented to the girl who was helping me select frames that they all wore glasses, and she told me it was company policy... Those who didn't need glasses had plain lenses in!
Old 10 June 2002, 04:52 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

I asked a few questions on here a few months back, just after my Dad (who is 55) had his eye's done. In a nutshell, he's eyes are now great, this did however take 3 months. They started off being OK in the mornings, but became increasingly worse and blurred throughout the day. He couldn’t drive for 4 weeks in the dark after the surgery. It took my Dad 3 months to be happy with the surgery and he would recommend it. I ware glasses and lenses, and have for the time being decided not to have surgery.

Leigh