Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do companies keep mucking about with their websites?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2015, 10:18 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do companies keep mucking about with their websites?

I've always valued function over form, although of course looks/appearance matter. But all the glitter in the world is pointless if something doesn't work properly.

I am sick to the back teeth of the way companies seem to feel the need to modify their websites continuously. And subsequently how they are so frequently worse after the tampering.
In this case it's Vodafone winding me up. I only go on their site to print off the VAT page of my bills (I gave up trying to get paper bills as they made it so awkward). Last time I tried three months ago the site had been 'updated' and the previous bills viewer didn't work so I gave up. This time I'm looking to download six months of them and it still doesn't work. So that means I have to attempt to call them tomorrow, something that these days is a major nightmare/inconvenience.

Does anyone other than the pillocks that design these websites actually benefit from this in any way? Like the customers perhaps?
Old 14 July 2015, 07:49 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by c_maguire
I've always valued function over form, although of course looks/appearance matter. But all the glitter in the world is pointless if something doesn't work properly.
You must be an Htc Android user
Old 14 July 2015, 08:10 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I hate cut down smartphone versions of websites with no function. Or "apps" that are basically unusable versions of a website.
Old 14 July 2015, 10:07 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
You must be an Htc Android user
I have an S4, which has been thrown about a bit.
I took it to the Vodafone shop and told them I wanted to smash it with a hammer, and would a Windows phone work like my laptop so I could put the hammer away. Apparently not, so I've had to come to terms with it .
Seems to me that doing anything on a modern phone is a pain in the butt.
I have added only 2 Apps, Whatsapp (which I have never used) because other people kept asking why I didn't have it and an App from Kingston to use a camera (that could only be gotten via Google Play, so I had no choice).
Old 14 July 2015, 10:39 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

I`ve just got the hang of eBay`s updated website so it wont be long before they move it all around again
Old 14 July 2015, 11:20 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Called them up and told them I wanted to print off my VAT receipts which didn't work three months ago and still doesn't.
First thing they suggested was they send me a text message. I asked how that was going to help me get printed copies of my VAT receipts and could they just make the website work.
Was then told they would reset my account, I would receive a text message with a new password, and could I wait 20 mins before logging on.
One hour later I try logging on using the new texted password and it doesn't let me. I try logging on with my original password, which still works.
And no surprise, I still can't access my old bills so will have to call them again.
Boring.