Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going to drive 20 miles with a flat tyre....

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2015, 05:18 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to drive 20 miles with a flat tyre....

Perhaps not the most sensible thing to do but it is a run flat on a BMW.

Was on my way into work this morning doing a steady 70 on the M5 when I heard a loud bang! Wondered what the hell it was but my question was shortly answered by the tyre pressure loss warning flashing up on the dash. No dramas from the car, all felt fairly normal at that point. Dropped down to 50 as per the warning and drove the last few miles to work. On inspection of the tyre in the car park it is devoid of air!

Now supposedly you can drive 50-60 miles on a deflated tyre so as to get you home or to a garage so I now going to attempt to do just that. Will keep to the back roads though!

Wish me luck! Booked in for new boots on Saturday morning thanks to Black Circles, will use the wife's car tomorrow.
Old 09 July 2015, 07:15 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I drove 2 miles on a flat non runflat tyre thinking I could make it to the garage to blow it up as I knew it only had a slow puncture. I could smell burnt rubber so I looked out the window and saw the tyre was shredded. Looks like I couldn't make 2 miles
Old 09 July 2015, 08:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hold with me, I have pics of a BMW 120d with run flats driven with a flat tyre, until the runflat tyre has self destructed and the only complaint from the driver was it felt a "bit wierd". I'll upload them when I have the chance.

OK its a woman (well fit ), the dash is like a christmas tree with warnings, the car's interior is a health hazard, but driving god knows how many miles with no air in the tyres has resulted in no drama. Apart from the the tyres being worn through its carcass.

Run flats are pretty good for that. But the problem is, if you have a puncture...new tyre. Owch. They do cost, especially if you have rubber-band profiles.

I carry tyre gunk and a compressor. First sign of a puncture out it comes; The only reason its not advisable to repair runflats is its impossible to tell the damaged caused by driving with it with no air (its pretty obvious with a normal tyre as the innards fill up with rubber powder). If you don't drive it with no air in, it "can" be repaired, although no repairer would warranty it (they'd rather sell you a tyre ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 July 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09 July 2015, 08:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

You wouldn't ***king belive it.

The picture is on my iPhone, but when I plug it into a PC, all I get is a load of DCIM folders...after trawling through them NONE have the picture I'm after:

So what do I do? I have to upload the picture form the iPhone to Facebook, Copy it onto SN. then delete it of facebook before I get a load of "likes" from my Gran.

Technology? Great, until apple did an update and ***ked up all the image folders.....

Anyhoo, after much cursing at apple for fecking up all my pictures....I give you a picture of a runflat driven for 100+miles with no air in...the car didn't crash or blow up, so ended well....

Old 09 July 2015, 10:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you think she may treat the car to new tyres for xmas
Old 09 July 2015, 10:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well, the timing chain broke last Christmas....

Watchdog blames the manufacturer....I blame the driver for ignoring the service reminders on the dash....
Old 09 July 2015, 11:22 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Holy **** ^^^^^
She should be banned from driving if she drives around like that
Old 09 July 2015, 11:24 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Holy moly! On that basis I had nothing to worry about on my 20 mile trip. Perhaps I should try and get a few more miles out of it

As you can guess no dramas on the way home though you could tell that things weren't right. Got a little bit juddery on the last mile and the tyre was quite hot when I pulled up at home and went to inspect. Still can't see what caused the rapid deflation or a hole or anything.

Luckily both rear tyres were nearly on the wear markers anyway so due a change. Fronts also need doing £££ Mind you the prices of new tyres for it had come down quite a bit since taking ownership
Old 10 July 2015, 02:11 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B

The picture is on my iPhone, but when I plug it into a PC, all I get is a load of DCIM folders...after trawling through them NONE have the picture I'm after:

So what do I do? I have to upload the picture form the iPhone to Facebook, Copy it onto SN. then delete it of facebook before I get a load of "likes" from my Gran.

Technology? Great, until apple did an update and ***ked up all the image folders.....

Anyhoo, after much cursing at apple for fecking up all my pictures....I give you a picture of a runflat driven for 100+miles with no air in...the car didn't crash or blow up, so ended well....

Or you could just have emailed it to yourself ********
Old 10 July 2015, 05:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

I remember one of the Polish blokes I used to work with having 4 tyres like that on his opel vectra. We had to convince him it was in his best interests to get them replaced. He ended up with 4 part worns from the scrappy.
Old 10 July 2015, 05:38 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I remember one of the Polish blokes I used to work with having 4 tyres like that on his opel vectra. We had to convince him it was in his best interests to get them replaced. He ended up with 4 part worns from the scrappy.

Old 10 July 2015, 06:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Devildog
Or you could just have emailed it to yourself ********

Email's not working on the phone. It used to work, now it doesn't, can't be arsed to mess with it whilst whilst instant messaging still works.
Old 11 July 2015, 06:07 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi,
This is a picture of my wife's front tyre after a heavy kerbing session!

Innocent looking slit on side wall - was down to canvas!
Cheers
Steve