Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ovens

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2015, 10:39 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ovens

I am looking for a new oven and trying to find people who have had Ikea or Miele or John Lewis or AEG electric ovens as these are my short list brands.

I have Miele washing machine bought for the quality and hopefully durability and i am looking for a reliable overn to replace my current defective AEG (repaired 4 times in 12 years)
Old 23 June 2015, 09:57 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

If money were no object I'd have Miele, however when we had our new kitchen we couldn't afford them so went for Siemens instead. Still good quality but a bit cheaper. Siemens / Bosch / Neff apparently share a lot of parts and I'm told all made in the same factory so any of these brands are good.

Last edited by Graz; 24 June 2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 23 June 2015, 05:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Got a Siemens Pyrolytic...Superb. Due to the fact it cleans itself.

Edit this one: HB75GB550B

As above Neff/Siemens/Bosch are very similar when comparing like-for-like specification models (i.e bottom of the range models has nasty feeling switches etc).
Old 23 June 2015, 11:11 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i can stretch to a cheaper Miele oven but they only have 2 year warranties which suggest the Miele have no faith in their durability but Ikea do a 5 year warranty on most Ovens but no one seems to have one to comment on the quality.

The Bosch, Siemans and Neff seem to get mixed reviews so its nice to hear positive feed back from some real owners on here
Old 24 June 2015, 07:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I think mixed reviews are based on the fact that all brands do a cheap budget middle and a all singing dancing one with loads in between: and almost £1000 difference in price!

If you get chance to go into a showroom with a decent lineup you note the controls and finish on the cheaper bottom range Bosch/neff/Siemens is a lot more plastic feeling, even the door handle feels different although it looks the same.

One criticism of them all; no battery backup for the clock. Yes every power cut you are greeted with a flashing 00:00 and have to set the time, this is 2015 not 1985, digital clocks shouldn't be like this in this day and age. even my VCR from the 1990s keeps its time ( not my car though, me 1982 jag has a more accurate clock )

The only Miele oven I got to see in the flesh at the showroom was a bottom of the range model similar in price to a mid spec Neff. The switch gear didn't feel nice to me, certainly not like their washing machines which feel more robust (if you haven't gathered yet I'm a touchy feely kind of guy )

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 June 2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 24 June 2015, 08:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

856 quid for a single oven !

I think ill just get marigolds on and scrub it / get some roasting bags
Old 24 June 2015, 09:46 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I have been through this dilemma recently and could find no clear brand leading the way. In the end I went with Ikea as the build quality seemed better or as good as anything with solid switchgear etc. and they have a five year warranty straight out of the box. They are also IMO one of the better looking ranges on the market.

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2015, 09:40 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrian F
i can stretch to a cheaper Miele oven but they only have 2 year warranties which suggest the Miele have no faith in their durability but Ikea do a 5 year warranty on most Ovens but no one seems to have one to comment on the quality.

The Bosch, Siemans and Neff seem to get mixed reviews so its nice to hear positive feed back from some real owners on here
I've got Neff stuff in my kitchen. Customer of mine is the distributor. Can't fault the appliances, they would have been expensive, but I got them at cost price
Old 26 June 2015, 12:57 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
I've got Neff stuff in my kitchen. Customer of mine is the distributor. Can't fault the appliances, they would have been expensive, but I got them at cost price
Same here. We have A Neff Induction hob, Oven, Combination Oven/Microwave and Warming drawer.

4 years old now and all still working perfectly.
Old 28 June 2015, 11:26 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Pyrolytic are great as I hate cleaning overns but limits you to a single oven. Also annoying that you still have to clean the shelf racks and mounts.
Old 28 June 2015, 11:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Pyrolytic are great as I hate cleaning overns but limits you to a single oven. Also annoying that you still have to clean the shelf racks and mounts.

If the kitchen is big enough, just have two ovens...we had space for two built-in columns, so one full oven, one compact compact oven and a couple of warming drawers. The mini grill/oven on our old double oven was only any use for grilling. And I don't use the grill much....grilling steak is a cardinal sin The compact/combi oven gets much more use that....can get that in pyrolytic too....wish I had now.

The warming drawers are a waste of time/money IMO. They are supposed to be able to slow cook, or at least implied it (pot roasts etc), which was the reason for having the deep-drawer, in use it never seemed to got that hot even on full power (could still hold plates with bare hands etc. ) so I measured it with a pyrex jug of preheated water with a thermometer in, after 5 hours it didn't get above 50 degrees - useless! I should write a stern letter LOL.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 June 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 28 June 2015, 11:50 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Surely it's up to your missus what oven she wants
Old 28 June 2015, 12:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Surely it's up to your missus what oven she wants

That'll be 900watt microwave, and a DECT phone with every local take-way stored in its first 10 quick-dial number memory.