Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Own Brand Products

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2015, 10:59 AM
Edmondo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Own Brand Products

When I go with the fierce some Mrs B to the Supermarket she sometimes picks up own Brand Products i.e Value Range.......Why do I feel cheap and dirty with them in the trolley?.....why do I have to hide them under Branded Products?.....I am not wealthy, I work in a normal office doing an ordinary job, I am not pretentious and I always look for bargains when buying other stuff but I cannot abide value range type stuff.......Does that make me a snob?
Old 13 June 2015, 11:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dunno, but your attitude is something strange.

I buy Sainsways' own brand washing powder, dishwasher powder, dishwasher salt, rinse aid, shampoo and ALL are as good as the branded ones, yet, in the case of the shampoo, less than 1/4 the price.
Old 13 June 2015, 11:04 AM
Edmondo
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough its only the food - other stuff like Dishwasher stuff, shampoo (if I ever needed it lol), Fizzy soft drinks it doesn't matter - its only the food!
Old 13 June 2015, 11:13 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends. For dishwasher products I always buy the best Finish Quantum tablets and salt etc as I do find it works the best. There's nothing worse than having glasswear with those horrible stained water lines. For juices we always get the Tesco value range and don't find much difference unless comparing it to Tropicana but that's about triple the price. It all depends on individual items for us. I would say that generally we go for the middle range but will get a few value items.
Old 13 June 2015, 11:33 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

I honestly don't care what other people think. I work a well paid job and earn well over the average wage and still buy own brand products. Although I've got to admit when it comes to soap powder, washing up liquid, shampoo etc I always buy the branded products.
Old 13 June 2015, 12:35 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Some things we always buy certain branded product, persil washing power Heinz bean etc, it's funny I like Lemon Kurd and prefer Asda own cheap brand to any of the others - if I didn't I would buy something else.
Old 13 June 2015, 12:54 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

A guy at work takes M&S carrier bags to Lidl, so his neighbours can't see that he shops there.

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2015, 01:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Depends on the product and price - couldn't give a stuff what others might think.
Old 13 June 2015, 03:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife and I shopped at Aldi for the first time last week

She said the shop (about £130) would have been £200 at Tesco

Not sure about the food, but I got a cracking set of ratchet spanners
Old 13 June 2015, 04:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
My wife and I shopped at Aldi for the first time last week

She said the shop (about £130) would have been £200 at Tesco

Not sure about the food, but I got a cracking set of ratchet spanners
It's odd at first but buy carefully and you get some cracking deals and genuinely good products; be flexible though as the range is less fixed than the big boys.

Lidl (my nearest pikey shop) does se cracking Barolos, St Emillions, proper Muscadet, decent cheese, great fresh produce, nice cured meats, etc but it's rubbish for spices weirdly.

It's also like shopping abroad which is always good.
Old 13 June 2015, 05:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its all shyte branded or not..buy what tastes/works best.

I don't extend the same logic to cars though; there are limits. Aldi don't make cars - but if they did...it'd be better than anything Peugeot or Renault have to offer
Old 13 June 2015, 05:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
It's odd at first but buy carefully and you get some cracking deals and genuinely good products; be flexible though as the range is less fixed than the big boys.

Lidl (my nearest pikey shop) does se cracking Barolos, St Emillions, proper Muscadet, decent cheese, great fresh produce, nice cured meats, etc but it's rubbish for spices weirdly.

It's also like shopping abroad which is always good.
yep, both my wife and eldest daughter are absolute cheese snobs, and they both said the Aldi Manchego is very very good

I have heard the wine is very good too, but I am not allowed to by alcohol on the food "budget" so that gets purchased elsewhere

my wife did not like the look of the meat, so that will be have to be got separately, along with my coffee - which Aldi do not stock

but on the whole pretty impressed

and yes, I love shopping in those massive continental hypermarkets too
Old 14 June 2015, 10:47 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
A guy at work takes M&S carrier bags to Lidl, so his neighbours can't see that he shops there.

Yes, my doctor mate also does that. He's really funny, so he has an open laugh about it in our friend circle.
Old 14 June 2015, 03:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the chances he's got one those fancy apple wristbands and drives an Audi.
Old 15 June 2015, 02:26 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never do all my shopping in one store as some of the price differences for the exact same product can be very silly, I noticed the last time out that the tuna I occasionally buy in one shop (lidl) is 39p cheaper in Plodine (a bit like sainsburys) which is rare because it's usually an expensive shop which I only use because it has a few products I can't get anywhere else.

Most of my weekly shop comes from Lidl except for meat which I always go to butchers for out here and in the UK as I find it's a better quality and they tend to know where it's from cheese I now get from a local producer but lidl do sometimes have a decent cheddar.

I generally don't care what brand it is, if I try it and like it then I don't give a stuff, that said I do have exceptions beans meanz Heinz, brown sauce = HP, mustard = Colmans and salad cream is also Heinz.
Old 15 June 2015, 09:21 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Got to be certain branded. Yes , Heinz tomato ketchup and Brown HP :-) otherwise lots of good stuff out there that is non branded
Old 15 June 2015, 10:21 AM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

I shop at Aldi, but use Tesco for certain things like washing powder.

Never really been too fussed about what people think, I earn enough to shop in Tesco etc, but I don't really see the point if I can get most of what we need in Aldi and save a pretty good amount each month.

Aldi also have some pretty handy tools and bits there from time to time
Old 15 June 2015, 07:16 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

Lidl (my nearest pikey shop) does se cracking Barolos
Really? Im quite partial to Italian wine and particularly Barolo, I'll have to go and have a look!
Old 15 June 2015, 08:02 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stormyuklondon1
Really? Im quite partial to Italian wine and particularly Barolo, I'll have to go and have a look!
They don't always have them but when they do it's about a tenner. It's strong though (as they always are) - 14% I think!
Old 15 June 2015, 08:50 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
It depends. For dishwasher products I always buy the best Finish Quantum tablets and salt etc as I do find it works the best. There's nothing worse than having glasswear with those horrible stained water lines. For juices we always get the Tesco value range and don't find much difference unless comparing it to Tropicana but that's about triple the price. It all depends on individual items for us. I would say that generally we go for the middle range but will get a few value items.
The finish tabs get blown out of the water by the Aldi tabs at 25% of the price by the likes of Which! I was sceptical but bought a box to try. It was the glassware that surprised me - would never go back